Peacekeepers 'abusing children'

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Peacekeepers 'abusing children'

updated at 08:46 GMT, Tuesday, 27 May 2008 09:46 UK
BBCNEWS
Excerpt:
Children as young as six are being sexually abused by peacekeepers and aid workers, says a leading UK charity.
Children in post-conflict areas are being abused by the very people drafted into such zones to help look after them, says Save the Children.
After research in Ivory Coast, southern Sudan and Haiti, the charity proposed an international watchdog be set up.
Save the Children said it had sacked three workers for breaching its codes, and called on others to do the same.
The three men were all dismissed in the past year for having had sex with girls aged 17 - which the charity said was a sackable offence even though not illegal
(((End Excerpt)))
[Johnny Carson as Karnac] *holds envelope to forehead*
Three places there are few or no US troops
[/Johnny Carson as Karnac]
[Ed McMahon]
Three places there are no US troops
[/Ed McMahon]
[Johnny Carson as Karnac]*Opens envelope with a flourish*
What are Haiti, Southern Sudan and The Ivory Coast

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. It happens. We saw the same thing happen during US operatins in the former Yugoslavia. Dyncorp, a US "military contractor" was running a child sex-slavery ring. Unfortunately they were not subject to local government law. They weren't subject to the UCMJ because they weren't US military personnel. They weren't subject to EU law. In fact, they weren't subject to any law whatsoever.

When you have no law, no accountability, and people with all the guns and all the food this sort of thing happens. There have also been cases all over the world where relief workers have used their monopoly on food and water to extort sex. That's why rebuilding local infrastructure and civil authority are so important. And its why open-ended military operations can be so destructive to the populations they are supposed to help.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[Johnny Carson as Karnac] *holds envelope to forehead*
Quote:
Three places there are few or no US troops
[/Johnny Carson as Karnac]
[Ed McMahon]
Quote:
Three places there are no US troops
[/Ed McMahon]
[Johnny Carson as Karnac]*Opens envelope with a flourish*
Quote:
What are Haiti, Southern Sudan and The Ivory Coast

Sorry this is totally lost on me, I have no idea what it means. Can you explain please?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry this is totally lost on me, I have no idea what it means. Can you explain please?

It's a reference to Johnny Carson's "The Tonight Show", a popular program here that is now run by Jay Leno. All you really need to understand about it though is that Big Don is trying to make some sort of braindead right wing shill case that the UN is the font of all evil and abuses children, while the presence of US troops would have controlled those nasty perverts. Because US troops never do anything wrong. Ever. Heck, they might not even be human!

It really does make me wonder whether Big Don is even for real. No functioning person could have so little self-awareness. I think we are all the subject of an elaborate years long troll.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the United Nations is far from perfect as nothing run by humans can be but on the whole we are better with it than without it, I believe. In the report it actually said the charity Save the Children had sacked it's workers, it didn't say that the workers were necessarily from the United Nations. Save the Children isn't a UN charity.
http://www.savethechildren.org.uk/en/38_102.htm

I think it's brave of them to step up and say they had these problems and wee highlighting them to hopefully make other charities aware of the problems.
The other cases were of UN soldiers admittedly but while hugely regrettable that these rapes and abuse should happen I hope that the overall presence of troops did stop some of the appalling massacres and abuse that they had been put there to stop.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They're trying to correct this. That's good. Does the U.K. govt. have the authority to levy meaningful penalties against these individuals for wrongs committed elsewhere?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. It happens. We saw the same thing happen during US operatins in the former Yugoslavia. Dyncorp, a US "military contractor" was running a child sex-slavery ring. Unfortunately they were not subject to local government law. They weren't subject to the UCMJ because they weren't US military personnel. They weren't subject to EU law. In fact, they weren't subject to any law whatsoever.

Not so fast

While employees of Dyncorp were found to be breaking the law, there is no evidence whatso ever that the COMPANY condoned the activity or even knew about it

the truth is bad enough, you dont have to embellish it

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not the impression I got at all EH

The impression I got was that the UN is a joke, and that US troops dont do this sort of thing

Both those ideas are correct IMO

You post was a bit harsh bro.

It's a reference to Johnny Carson's "The Tonight Show", a popular program here that is now run by Jay Leno. All you really need to understand about it though is that Big Don is trying to make some sort of braindead right wing shill case that the UN is the font of all evil and abuses children, while the presence of US troops would have controlled those nasty perverts. Because US troops never do anything wrong. Ever. Heck, they might not even be human!

It really does make me wonder whether Big Don is even for real. No functioning person could have so little self-awareness. I think we are all the subject of an elaborate years long troll.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• $153249475_3fa1b28ea0.jpg
    $153249475_3fa1b28ea0.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 161

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Twin Fist, Dyncorp wasn't making money off it, but it was their employees on their facilities. And when they were made aware of it they did nothing. They didn't even fire the baby-raping pimps. That makes them complicit. And when they allowed it to continue it makes them worse.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, not so fast tellner

You said "Dyncorp, a US "military contractor" was running a child sex-slavery ring"

dyncorp employees were. There is zero evidence that the company knew about it, much less endorsed it.

your first staement is just plain wrong. i MIGHT agree with you on your second, but I will need to read up.

Elder.
You are not seriously comparing frat boy hazing which was all that happened in that prison with child rape are you?

think carefully before you answer dude.

as for your link to a rape case in Okinawa, isolated cases happen, in every military. This topic at hand is no an isolated case. Apples and pears dude.

try again

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I give up. What's frat boy hazing?
What went on in that prison was abuse of prisoners. It's hardly showing the enemy that you have the moral high ground and they are acting immorally with their abuse of human rights and and lack of respect for human life when soldiers behave like that is it? When one invades a country on the pretext of liberating and turning it into a democracy, you can hardly behave like a mob of soccer hooligans if you want the world to take you seriously as the righteous saviours of civilisation as we know it! One has to act with dignity for a start! How ignorant did those soldiers look for crying out loud. Not a good ad for democracy and clean living were they?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Ok I give up. What's frat boy hazing?

Universities over here have men's organizations similar to your drinking clubs called "fraternities," or "frats" for short. The men live together in the same house, and engage in homo-erotic, sado-masochistic juvenile initiations called "hazing." Sometimes they go to jail for it, because it "gets out of hand."

Just like Lyndie England and CHarles Graner did-they went to jail, which, as you pointed out, Tez, takes it beyond "frat boy hazing."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Universities over here have men's organizations similar to your drinking clubs called "fraternities," or "frats" for short. The men live together in the same house, and engage in homo-erotic, sado-masochistic juvenile initiations called "hazing." Sometimes they go to jail for it, because it "gets out of hand."

Just like Lyndie England and CHarles Graner did-they went to jail, which, as you pointed out, Tez, takes it beyond "frat boy hazing."

Thanks for explanation!
To be honest even if all it were was 'frat boy hazing' it would still be out of order. How will the Iraqis see us as any different from Saddams lot when soldiers who should know better don't behave with discipline and decorum? How can we prove we are right, that we are better than thugs when mindless acts of violence are carried out so thoughtlessly?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
these are people that see CUTTING OFF PEOPLE"S HEADS AS NO BIG DEAL

a woman gets raped? kill HER for not being "pure"

they dismembered three contractors and hung the parts off a bridge, then set them on fire.

a school is burning down, dont let the female students out untill they put on a burka, even if it means they burn to death

they teach thier own fighters to desicrate the koran so they can then claim some GI did it.

I am pretty sure they wernt shocked by a picture of a dog faced girl pointing at some guy's dingle

i wish to god sometimes that people would remember exactly what sort of backward savages these people are before
spouting off about how bad those mean old soldiers are.........

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
i wish to god sometimes that people would remember exactly what sort of backward savages these people are before
spouting off about how bad those mean old soldiers are.........

The sort that gave us our numeric system, and astronomy, and wonderful art, and poetry, and far too many things for many a "backward savage" from the U.S.A. to appreciate, apparently.....:rolleyes:.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, what have they given us in, say, the last 2000 friggin years?

oh yeah, the crusades and islamic terrorists

you CANT be serious dude

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
yeah, what have they given us in, say, the last 2000 friggin years?

oh yeah, the crusades and islamic terrorists

you CANT be serious dude

Well, in addition to chemistry, physics, algebra, and zero-as well as bathing, they gave us Frank Zappa:bangahead:, and Selma Hayek. Arabs have won the Nobel prize in Chemistry and Medicine in the 90's-as well as literature. As well as Dr. Michael Debakey inventing the heart pump-an Arab American, like Frank and Selma-I'll avoid all the other prominent Arab Americans like Doug Flutie, etc., etc.,etc., and just point out that they also gave us like <carl sagan mode 'on'> billions, and billions of barrels of oil<carl sagan mode 'off'>...:rolleyes:

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
they didnt GIVE us that oil buddy..........

now, Salma Hayek, hmmm that's one thats worth pondering....

i'll be in my bunk