Pay attention

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pay attention? What are some ways to focus more, the reason why I ask. I'm not good at doing that... Get distracted a lot could be a car driving by, person talking or just an picture on the wall. Most of the time during simple unimportant things but I need to focus so if I'm listening or the instructor is going over important information I shouldn't be looking off elsewhere distracted

, thanks

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pay attention? What are some ways to focus more, the reason why I ask. I'm not good at doing that... Get distracted a lot could be a car driving by, person talking or just an picture on the wall. Most of the time during simple unimportant things but I need to focus so if I'm listening or the instructor is going over important information I shouldn't be looking off elsewhere distracted

, thanks

Difficult one. Is no magic cure for that one in my experience. Although the older I have got, I managed to channel the focus in a singular fashion. Although that in itself can be counter productive. Tbh with ya though, I think it can be linked to confidence. It may not sound too tangible, but on a subconscious level, you are watching other people. Those unimportant things may well be manifest in others. Way I see it anyways.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
You might not be the problem , maybe the instructor is the problem.

He might be a bit like this.

[video=youtube_share;uhiCFdWeQfA]http://youtu.be/uhiCFdWeQfA[/video]

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Probably not, cause it happens wherever, class was just one of the examples of where I don't want to get distracted

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you been tested for ADHD?

I mean, if it bothers you, maybe it's severe enough to look into?

I am drawing a blank although I ma sure there are means to train your mind to stay more focused.
Maybe meditation and yoga?

For most people it's a bad habit, like I know it is for me. I always say I have acquired ADHD, due to 2 decades of US TV. And I am pretty serious about this: Unless you have premium channels, no show goes longer than 10 minutes without a commercial! I seldom watch movies anymore, especially at home, because I start pacing after 15 minutes!

Maybe you need to start by eliminating distractions from your life.
Is it visual? (Also known as ADOS: Attention Deficit OH SHINY!!!!!!!!!!!!) :wink:

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score

, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you been tested for ADHD?

I mean, if it bothers you, maybe it's severe enough to look into?

I am drawing a blank although I ma sure there are means to train your mind to stay more focused.
Maybe meditation and yoga?

For most people it's a bad habit, like I know it is for me. I always say I have acquired ADHD, due to 2 decades of US TV. And I am pretty serious about this: Unless you have premium channels, no show goes longer than 10 minutes without a commercial! I seldom watch movies anymore, especially at home, because I start pacing after 15 minutes!

Maybe you need to start by eliminating distractions from your life.
Is it visual? (Also known as ADOS: Attention Deficit OH SHINY!!!!!!!!!!!!) :wink:

Never heard of it, but I think I will try training the mind to focus

Ha, funny video but no... I seen what drugs done to my uncle...

Last edited by a moderator:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may seem off the wall, but I'd suggest some exercises in tracking and stalking.

For instance: measure out a 1m X 1m patch of ground, and write down all the things you can observe about it.

Observe an animal-watch what it is doing, then, when it moves off, observe the tracks that animal made and correlate them with the animal's actions.

Look for other animal tracks, and try to correlate them to actions as well.

(Like many things, the best way to learn to pay attention is to pay attention.....)

Last edited:

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i have attention deficit ADD. ADHD is the combination of attention deficit and hyperactivity. it doent have to be both and it dosent have to be an extreem case. i have learned to focus really well on one thing. the problem comes when there are lots of distractions. i credit MA practice in training my brain to focus and have better consentration. i think the key from me was kata and sparring. kata preformance is what i am refering to, not a break down the moves and disect it practice. basicly ADD is the inablity of the brain to block out all the unimportant stimuli that most people are able to filter out. sparring is good because the pace is fast enough to keep the mind busy. so the good news is the brain can be taught to over come ADD to a certian degree.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have attention deficit ADD. ADHD is the combination of attention deficit and hyperactivity. it doent have to be both and it dosent have to be an extreem case. i have learned to focus really well on one thing. the problem comes when there are lots of distractions. i credit MA practice in training my brain to focus and have better consentration. i think the key from me was kata and sparring. kata preformance is what i am refering to, not a break down the moves and disect it practice. basicly ADD is the inablity of the brain to block out all the unimportant stimuli that most people are able to filter out. sparring is good because the pace is fast enough to keep the mind busy. so the good news is the brain can be taught to over come ADD to a certian degree.

Yep. These posts remind of the hellish Ritalin, or whatever derivative it was that I had to take. Reading novels helped me. When I improved my numeracy and literacy skills in my mid twenties, I had to read Shakespear. That guy was a genius. Not sure how it helped mentally, but my spelling and hand writing resembled that of an adult after that. Probably that singular focus again, once I bury myself in a book, the immersion excludes the outside world to the point I do not hear anything, just my own thoughts.

Latest Discussions