Paternalism In The Martial Arts

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What responsibilities if any should one have for the students of your students? Discuss.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not knowing if the question is posed from a legal standpoint or a moral one, I'll choose the moral one, since I have no idea legally.

If your student is passing along something that in turn you taught them in the context of which you taught it, I would imagine a great deal. If your student is altering/modifying/incorporating their own teaching or spin on your teaching, I would say it varies, but ultimately, may be very little. To what degree of course, would depend on a more specific instance.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not really knowing how to answer this since I feel there is much more to this that needs to be explained before I can answer. All I can say that from a Traditional Chinese Martial Arts POV it is not so much Paternalism as it would be Filial Piety

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not knowing if the question is posed from a legal standpoint or a moral one, I'll choose the moral one, since I have no idea legally.

If your student is passing along something that in turn you taught them in the context of which you taught it, I would imagine a great deal. If your student is altering/modifying/incorporating their own teaching or spin on your teaching, I would say it varies, but ultimately, may be very little. To what degree of course, would depend on a more specific instance.

There should be no legal obligations since the student is the owner of his own dojo. I was asking more from a 'martial arts granddad' perspective, regardless of the tuition aspect.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

If they're a true student, then you won't have to worry about them modifying what you taught them. They may vary "how", but not "what", to fit their needs. They will continue your line appropriately. They become "extended family" & do what they have to do to keep the name & reputation of the family intact.

If they're Joe Schmoe who attended your school & then started up their own & think they know better, it's real clear. They weren't taken as a student so you have 0 responsibility to them & your reputation is clear.

Latest Discussions