Pardon me, you've got a stain on your...

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
Ok, this is a general ettiquette question that I need to pose because it happened to me today.

Today was a belt testing for my school. While I was board holding, I noticed that there was a brown stain on the hind quarters of the lady I was holding for (She was doing a step-on-air back kick, so no, I wasn't checking her out!!!) This caused me to have an ethical dilemma. Do I tell her to prevent embarassment from finding out later, or would it be more embarassing for her to know without a doubt that someone noticed?

I didn't say anything, because this threw me for a loop. I would like to know the general concensus on this situation should it arise again.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally if it were me I would rather someone told me quietly and discreetly that there was a problem, so I could sort it out before it became a bigger more noticeable problem. If you feel too embarrased as a male to broach the subject with the lady in question, then a quiet word to another female that you feel comfortable with , to get them to approach her to tell her.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you should have pulled her to the side and let her know this, to show her some respect.
Terry

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To pretend you didn't see it is easier, thats for sure.

But I think the right thing to do is to mention it to her, so she can take care of it. I'd like to have been told if it was me.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would have to agree with the previous posters - the best thing to do would be to discreetly let her know, preferably in a private conversation (pull her to the side or something). This is, in my opinion, comparable to letting someone know that their fly is down - easy to do with small children, harder with teens and harder still with adults.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd want to know in the least embarrassing way possible as soon as possible.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I would hope that the people I train with would let me know, quietly and kindly, before others did too! :)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Another way to look at it? ...If you had the brown stain? ...would you like someone to tell you? ............this answer is not for every sitution, but there are times..it would be nice if someone let us know.

Growing up in school...having to forget to zipper the pants..can be embarrassingly. Especially when giving a speech in front of the class...oops. .......Aloha

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I come across embarrassing moments with other students on a regular basis, as I'm sure you all do. I would ignore it, as I always do. To make someone feel self conscious isn't my goal. When they get home, they'll notice, but this way they'll never be sure if anyone else did. Just my take. I would say nothing.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would want to know too, privatly and nicely too

Slippery_Pete

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think I would want a friend to tell me...so if possible find someone they are close to and tell them to pull them away and tell

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
a possible embarrasing moment for both of you but as the others have said say something but be descret

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
.........would i be a bad person to say i would laugh?(")......then i would tell her quitely of course..with the line ''hey I think you might of sat on something''..( :

adictd2tkdgirl

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I come across embarrassing moments with other students on a regular basis, as I'm sure you all do. I would ignore it, as I always do. To make someone feel self conscious isn't my goal. When they get home, they'll notice, but this way they'll never be sure if anyone else did. Just my take. I would say nothing.

I agree with this post. She will never know if anyone saw it and that is better than knowing for sure that you had, which means others probably had also.

Koryuhoka

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would go to another female from among the group that demonstrates true concern and respect for her classmates and ask her to take her to the side and tell her.

But I would also tell her not to let her know that I noticed... make it look like she noticed... so as not to embarass the person.

I just think it's easier coming from another female.

K.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Its only natural to look at something thats presented.

Best tell her and be a friend than not and have her get all em-Bare-Assed...LOL Ok that was lame but hey come on.

Latest Discussions