Pampers cause chemical burns....

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-hom...er-gripes-grow-louder-for-P&G?mod=family-home

Procter & Gamble (NYSE: PG, News) Co. is scrambling to put out an Internet wildfire over the safety of its new Pampers diapers, a crucial brand that accounts for about 11% of the company's revenue.

Some mothers who blame the reengineered diapers for causing rashes, even "chemical burns," have started a Facebook page to detail their claims and press P&G to reverse course. The claims quickly gained traction, leading this month to a lawsuit and inquiries by product-safety regulators in the U.S. and Canada.

So social networking strikes again....

My wife and I recently ran out of our pampers.....which we loved. Much more than when we tried huggies. Then these news stories came out....now I don't honestly believe that these diapers are going to cause chemical burns, but my kid isn't going to be the one to find out.

Now here's the real problem in my eyes. When something like this happens to your corporation, you can handle it a number of ways. Proctor & Gamble initially tried the "Don't worry, just buy them you'll like them." That was the response I got when I called. THEN they switched to "These people are crazy and wrong" i.e. defend, defend, defend; deny, deny, deny. I'm not saying that the products are bad...just that the corporation probably took the wrong route with this one. In the age of social media, best bet is to placate the customer, cut off the dissension and end the "anti" campaign.

When I called, I asked if any investigations were being done and if the company had acknowledged or given reparations to any of the parents who had issues. I got a canned response and they basically said "go buy the product and if you have a problem, send back the unused portion (no refund, you pay the shipping) and they will test them."

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Denial does not work, nor does talking down to parents like that.

IMO, they should counter the negative publicity with a positive campaign that involves free samples. In fact, the more creative approach would be: send in your unused portion of diapers along with copy of receipt for another brand of diapers, they send refund. With a guarantee like that, more parents would be willing to try Pampers.

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Denial does not work, nor does talking down to parents like that.

IMO, they should counter the negative publicity with a positive campaign that involves free samples. In fact, the more creative approach would be: send in your unused portion of diapers along with copy of receipt for another brand of diapers, they send refund. With a guarantee like that, more parents would be willing to try Pampers.

Yep, instead they are sending the signal that they don't care about customer complaints and they are trying to discredit the public.

Latest Discussions