out injured again :(

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hate this :(

went to muay thai and got a bit carried away when kicking the strike pads cos i've managed to break the bottom of my tibia in the ankle joint in 3 places --- sooooo not good :(

can't help but wonder how my instructors arm is cos he was wearing the arm held style strike pads and i'd had a boring day and i was "giving it large" with everything from punches and elbows that had him wincing a few times to kicks that were spot on and felt really good with plenty of power going through them - i could "feel" his arm in the back of the strike pad with every kick :)

so now i'm looking at 10weeks "laid up" --- soooo not going to happen i own a border collie for one thing and i'm hyper active for another and due to having similar injuries in the past i know that my work won't suffer :) just means that i've got to work harder in the gym now to keep my fitness up and my muscles in trim :)

wouldn't have minded too much but i was scheduled to fight very soon too and i was really looking forward to it but this setback has changed things a bit in my mind for now at least - don't think i'll be fighting for one thing - i might go into coaching instead.......

donna

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
hate this :(

went to muay thai and got a bit carried away when kicking the strike pads cos i've managed to break the bottom of my tibia in the ankle joint in 3 places --- sooooo not good :(

I'd love to see a copy of the XRay. :D

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
will see if i can get a copy or a picture of the xray cos i've got to go back to the hospital cos they were talking about carrying out surgery --- still hurts like hell and that's after taking nearly 1000mg tramadol :(

need more meds :)

donna

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
will see if i can get a copy or a picture of the xray cos i've got to go back to the hospital cos they were talking about carrying out surgery --- still hurts like hell and that's after taking nearly 1000mg tramadol :(

donna

Um... what? I hope that's a typo. 1000mg of Tramadol is a potential lethal overdose.

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i've taken more than that in the past and i'm still here :) and yup 1000mg at 50mg a tablet - still hurts like hell and no that wasn't a typo.

i know it's an OD but i got no choice in terms of pain meds cos i can't get liquid morphine or i'd have put a couple of cc's in myself :) happy days ;)

donna

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've taken more than that in the past and i'm still here :) and yup 1000mg at 50mg a tablet - still hurts like hell and no that wasn't a typo.

i know it's an OD but i got no choice in terms of pain meds cos i can't get liquid morphine or i'd have put a couple of cc's in myself :) happy days ;)

donna

That is pretty ****ed up right there, forget stims, hospital. Fight soon ****ed up on dreamy ****??

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
gotta play this one by the book :( got too many people watching me and doing all sorts of tests and stuff. in the past i'd have just swallowed some more meds and got back to scrapping but am getting a bit old and don't "bounce" as well as i used to :)

you're right about the meds - proper dreamland but hell i wouldn't advise anyone to start ODing but it's wprked for me in the past and has meant that i could carry on with my training with limited pain :)

would love to scrap sooner but hell i don't know if i'd end up "punch drunk" --- can't feel much at all so they're working pretty well :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

donna

I'm surprised they let you leave. That sounds like a really significant break, and most tibia fractures I've heard of have needed surgery or at least major rehab... Especially if it was broken in three places. Hope you heal up quick.

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
they did a CT and more xrays this morning and now it's in a cast for the next 10weeks :( they wanted to put pins in there but cos of where the breaks are located they can't cos there's not enough material for the pins to locate into :(

the breaks themselves are right in the bottom of my tibia where it goes into the the ankle socket - if they pin it then chances are such that i would lose a lot of movement in my ankle :(

verdict from this experience --- try as hard as you like hitting and kicking the strike pads but remember to wear protection when doing so LoL :)

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the rehab issue has already been sorted cos i went and saw a physion before i went to the hospital - thought it was soft tissue injury tbh so am just gunna carry on with the physio and see where it leads.

shame i won't be able to fight for a fair while - maybe 6/7months.................

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All the best wishes for a speedy recovery.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
they did a CT and more xrays this morning and now it's in a cast for the next 10weeks :( they wanted to put pins in there but cos of where the breaks are located they can't cos there's not enough material for the pins to locate into :(

the breaks themselves are right in the bottom of my tibia where it goes into the the ankle socket - if they pin it then chances are such that i would lose a lot of movement in my ankle :(

verdict from this experience --- try as hard as you like hitting and kicking the strike pads but remember to wear protection when doing so LoL :)

My recollection from when I did that the second time, was it was only one part of the bone that broke off. I don't know about the first time. The doctors weren't too specific when I was in Vietnam. They just said it was broken and put me in a walking cast. I guess it wasn't too bad. But the second time, it required surgery (a screw) and they put me in a full leg cast. No fun. Thankfully, the Army put me back in a walking cast, but it was still painful for a while.

Based on my experience, I would recommend you take great good care of it until the doctors (not your ego) say otherwise. Obviously you like MA. You want to be able to do MA more. You are in a particularly kick-oriented MA. Be sure it heals well before you take a chance of fracturing it again and it healing weaker.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

donna

Your taking 20 pills at a time?

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i was but i didn't take 20 pills in one go - i spread them out over a 10hour time period :) they gave me some proper gucci meds now - from what i can work out they're like one step up from tramadol :)

i took one before and it more or less levelled me :) so not going to be much use for a fair while LoL ;)

won't be kicking anything for a long time cos after the cast comes off i gotta get full use back into my muscles before i can really start ramping up the pressure on the right kicks :( soooo not happy :(

i can stand on it though cos i went through a full programme of left kicks, both knees, both elbows, al punches earlier on tonight and there was no after effects so am glad that i can still rotate my hips properly and with enough power to do some damage to my RDX bags :)

not even thought about using the right one - just hurts too much and it's too early to tell if i'll ever be able to scrap again ;(

been looking into getting some coaching awards - might be the way to go for me in future cos i can see a point where i'd back off giving a right kick in case it went "missing" again --- can't afford to have the same injury twice :(

MartialMellow

Green Belt
Reaction score
Be careful when combining medications. Some advice from a doctor or pharmacist could be good.

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the meds that i got from the hospital are to replace of the tramadol --- they weren't too happy when i told them how much of the stuff i was using lol :) so these things are properly sweet got a full nights sleep totally pain free ie;i can't feel anything at all :)

did my morning workout and still didn't feel anything which was prolly good in a way but now it's damage limitation time for the next 10weeks and no scrapping for at least 6months :(

helped out with some pad work for those that are still able to scrap in the gym last night - felt good to still be a part of the crew :)

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the meds that i got from the hospital are to replace of the tramadol --- they weren't too happy when i told them how much of the stuff i was using lol :) so these things are properly sweet got a full nights sleep totally pain free ie;i can't feel anything at all :)

did my morning workout and still didn't feel anything which was prolly good in a way but now it's damage limitation time for the next 10weeks and no scrapping for at least 6months :(

helped out with some pad work for those that are still able to scrap in the gym last night - felt good to still be a part of the crew :)

Be careful Donna, did you tell your doc your planning on doing exercise still, let alone gym work? This could really detract from your healing process.

OP
D

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the doc said i have to keep my weight off it as much as possible - so i can do the sit ups, press ups, med ball work, arm upper body stuff, i can't do the skipping and "dancing" stuff though lol :) just hurts too much at the momemt but am not going to be pushing anything.

the pads work - that wasn't me kicking and punching them --- i wish ;) that was the other guys - i can hold the arm strike pads (the same ones that caused my injuries) although i did take my gel RDX gel ones with me - got a touch scared of damaging anything else lol ;)

my doctor and my physio have been very supportive of the way that i planned to do things - there's no point in not opening upto them about what my plans were and they like the attitude that i've got too :) i know that i'm hurt and so does everyone else but that doesn't mean that i can't do stuff - i've busted a leg not my head ;)

Crossracer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That sucks. Do what you can, but your focus needs to be on recovery. Can't hurry that leg, and you only risk reinjuring it again. Trust me, I know.

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk