OUCH! Calf cramps

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
whomp me upside the head, I am not living the Black Belt way these days...

5 minutes on the hamster wheel, on easy setting, 2 turns of the pedal and my pulse is up to 130 - but I am claiming the meter on that thing s broken!

now I am having somewhat of a cramp, a long time after I got off, too, and it radiates down to the foot...

Life sux at times...

need to get back into shape...but in the mean time, pass the bananas and the tonic water...

:uhohh::wah:

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I should put the grape juice down?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Coconut water. Goya's is decent, 2 types sweetened 80% and unsweetened 98%. Other brands are decent, though I found 1 that tasted sour though I can't remember the name right now.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
<taking notes>

lucky me, I gotta go buy cat food tomorrow...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One note on the Coconut water. It's high in potassium, so if you're on any blood pressure meds, be careful. Read up on it first.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ah, thanks (thankfully Mother Nature provided me with chronically low BP...)

I was told orange juice id high in potassium, too...

(hmm, that's why it's supposed to work on cramps, right?)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tonic water with quinine. One 8 ounce glass ends leg cramps. I don't know why, but it does.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've had those leg cramps too... laying in bed asleep then wake up screaming and grasping my leg (calves) trying to work the rocks out. Holy crap those hurt!

What everyone else said... lots of water and potassium.
No I don't think you're outta shape I think it's just something that happens from time to time. I walk average 3-4 miles a day at my job then including where-ever else I may be. Plus I still do stretches trying to get the height of my leg up over my chest... the groin tendons need to be stretched out more... eesh.

Anyway. I found putting some warm heat on the rocks in your leg will help ease them down slowly.

:asian:

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've had those leg cramps too... laying in bed asleep then wake up screaming and grasping my leg (calves) trying to work the rocks out. Holy crap those hurt!

What everyone else said... lots of water and potassium.
No I don't think you're outta shape I think it's just something that happens from time to time. I walk average 3-4 miles a day at my job then including where-ever else I may be. Plus I still do stretches trying to get the height of my leg up over my chest... the groin tendons need to be stretched out more... eesh.

Anyway. I found putting some warm heat on the rocks in your leg will help ease them down slowly.

:asian:

yep, these cramps are bad enough and linger long enough to worry you you got a muscle pulled...

(but sadly I am out of shape, life sux at times...have not been to the Dojang in years now. Might have to get myself a white belt and start over)

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So we've all heard the "never seek medical advise on the internet" advice before.

So I won't offer advice, but I'll just tell you what works for me. I've heard calcium and potassium. So when I notice I am cramping a lot I up my milk intake and eat bananas. Actually, I often do them at the same time with a home made shake that includes both.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So we've all heard the "never seek medical advise on the internet" advice before.

So I won't offer advice, but I'll just tell you what works for me. I've heard calcium and potassium. So when I notice I am cramping a lot I up my milk intake and eat bananas. Actually, I often do them at the same time with a home made shake that includes both.

LOL, well, not going for the home surgery kit. but hints are appreciated.
been meaning to get Bananas...but they are either lime green or already with spots...

I know, I am all 'Miss Excuses" these days. :(

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I get these, too. For me, though, they start in the thigh and radiate to the foot. I take potassium, and that helps some. They seem to be worse when I'm nervous (like competing in kata), too.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I asked my doctor. He said to drink an 8-ounce glass of tonic water with quinine. I did. The cramps stopped before I was done drinking the glass. I do not know why. I have had cramps since then, same cure, same result. I have told other friends of mine about it, and they universally had the same response.

I am not a doctor, nor would I presume to dispense medical advice. However, tonic water with quinine is sold at the grocery store as a drink mixer. No one is going to get sick from drinking an 8 ounce glass of it. Try it. If it doesn't work for you, then at least you're no worse off. If it does...you're welcome.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I appreciate all ideas! :)

it's nagging...I wonder if I tore a muscle kicking my teddy bear while I was sleeping....

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just information:

Diabetes can cause these symptoms. High altitude, overuse, and dehydration can lead to these symptoms.

I'd suggest asking your Doctor to check for diabetes to rule that out. Once, that is ruled out try a gentle warm-up with pre-hydration before the work out. Make sure your not entering your workouts starving. After your work out use a slow cool down and lots of liquids.

Quinnine has saved me many a night in Colorado Springs, good advice.

Good Luck

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just information:

Diabetes can cause these symptoms. High altitude, overuse, and dehydration can lead to these symptoms.

I'd suggest asking your Doctor to check for diabetes to rule that out. Once, that is ruled out try a gentle warm-up with pre-hydration before the work out. Make sure your not entering your workouts starving. After your work out use a slow cool down and lots of liquids.

Quinnine has saved me many a night in Colorado Springs, good advice.

Good Luck

thanks!
I think dehydration is the main culprit. I really need to drink more water!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it is a muscle cramp in the calf, where the muscle fibers are spasming and tightening into a knot, there is an easy way to get it to stop quickly.

Sit up in bed (assuming this is happening while you are sleeping) and straighten your leg out in front of you with your toes pointed to the ceiling. Grab your toes and gently pull them back towards the front of your knee as far as you comfortably can. The muscle should relax and stop spasming. It may leave you a bit sore and you many need to massage the calf a bit, but that painful spasm cramp will stop.

Anyone with scuba experience is familar with this, the extra pressure on the calf muscle from swimming with large fins can cause this to happen. We just stop swimming, straighten the leg, grab the tip of the fin and pull back. Cramp-be-gone.

Latest Discussions