Optional Clothing Training?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Had coffee this afternoon with Flea and we were discussing her training in a skirt and some ideas came up. Traditional arts train in particular uniforms, and we get comfortable working in them and with them. But how many of us wear those same uniforms 24/7? In our everyday clothes, our flexibility, our protection, and our leverage changes. We can't rely on that sleeve being there to grab, or protect.

How many folks work wearing different clothing situations into their training? Grab the heavy parka and layers and work for winter, or strip down to your skivies and work stuff from that perspective? After all, a home invader won't wait until you put your pants on before charging.

And, anyone go the full weird out path, go buck naked, or old-style Greek and oil up? Ok, while that's a good laugh, think how grappling a naked greasy person would differ from trying to take down someone in a trench coat. How about swimwear? Ladies, if your top is ripped off, does modesty take precedence over defense? Guys, how about being jumped while standing at a urinal with your tackle out?

Just tossing this weird topic out for chewing on.

Ty Hatfield

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How many folks work wearing different clothing situations into their training? Grab the heavy parka and layers and work for winter.

I feel and train at times with large coats and in normal clothing. To try ideas on teq's using real clothing. In Ju-Jitsu us also no gi stuff but at times just train in shorts and t-shirt.

Just a few things

Thought I would add some times we also train going to like Hikes and at times find nice water fall to meditate at so it just in hiking stuff to the top and to the bottem but skinnys ok well shorts and or swimming suits in the water.

Ty Hatfield

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Not weird at all, really. I had similar thoughts about 20 years ago, and all my students that make it to brown belt get a street clothes kit:BDUs, three piece suits,loafers, sneakers, jackets/parkas, with skirts and sturdy high-heels for the women. Mostly we get the stuff from surplus places and thrift-stores, and try not to beat it up to much. One of the things that's come up over the years for women is the rapid removal of high-heels as a tactic, and carrying them to and from while wearing more sensible shoes as a regular strategy.

We do work on the odd compromising situations and develop tactics around them as an exercise in heiho: urinal, commode, in bed, etc. We even have field trips to various public restrooms to talk about choosing the strategically correct urinal and or stall. I think Dave Lowry wrote about the proper way to sit on the toilet prepared for attack.

Skirts? Not usually as physically restrictive as they are mentally, depending upon the style (of skirt)......

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Atleast once a month we train in street cloths. We have never been butt naked or oiled up, but they maybe an ideal for later.
icon10.gif

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Training in varied clothing and in different weather is essential for anyone interested in practice personal protection skills.
icon14.gif

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
And, anyone go the full weird out path, go buck naked, or old-style Greek and oil up? Ok, while that's a good laugh, think how grappling a naked greasy person would differ from trying to take down someone in a trench coat. How about swimwear? Ladies, if your top is ripped off, does modesty take precedence over defense? Guys, how about being jumped while standing at a urinal with your tackle out?

hm, interesting ideas. i will try this & report back.

just need a volunteer :D

jf

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had coffee this afternoon with Flea and we were discussing her training in a skirt and some ideas came up. Traditional arts train in particular uniforms, and we get comfortable working in them and with them. But how many of us wear those same uniforms 24/7? In our everyday clothes, our flexibility, our protection, and our leverage changes. We can't rely on that sleeve being there to grab, or protect.

How many folks work wearing different clothing situations into their training? Grab the heavy parka and layers and work for winter, or strip down to your skivies and work stuff from that perspective? After all, a home invader won't wait until you put your pants on before charging.

Just tossing this weird topic out for chewing on.

I've actually had to wrestle a wacked out naked man in to handcuffs.........not fun......pretty damn funny when someone else is doing it but not fun to do yourself.

In prison inmates often strip down naked and cover themselves with feces and urine to make themselves more slippery when a cell extraction team is coming in.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This winter after a catastrophic ice storm I got to class only to find the power (and heat) out. I took my down parka off and whipped it right back on in a few seconds. It was kind of like wearing a marshmallow. Remember that scene from A Christmas Story? That was me fighting ...

[yt]HW4IZ0Flh3M[/yt]

And for the record, the nekkit oil thing was strictly Bob's idea. :angel:

Ty Hatfield

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To be honest the reson I would oil up is other person was a hot chick my $00.02 cents.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't need to train in the nude. I drop trou, and everyone in the room but my wife (bless her) is going to be screaming and running for the exits.

Warning: Do not click if you mind some slightly rude language.

[yt]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SWM-fNJ1dO8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SWM-fNJ1dO8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
[/yt]

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
To be honest the reson I would oil up is other person was a hot chick my $00.02 cents.

Ty, I think you'd be in some pretty good company on that one. :whip1:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm all for oil wrestling hot chicks, however 7 out of 10 hot chicks surveyed said they'd want to wrestle hot guys, the other 3 leaned towards other hot chicks. Sadly none said "We wanna roll with a web geek", so I'm outta luck. lol!

All joking aside though, I'm thinking that working against someone oiled up would greatly change your tactics in a confrontation.

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
We even have field trips to various public restrooms to talk about choosing the strategically correct urinal and or stall. I think Dave Lowry wrote about the proper way to sit on the toilet prepared for attack.

Wow, that never would have dawned on me. Could you elaborate? Not to the point of challenging one's dinner of course, but ... I'd love to explore this. For years I've been scanning public restrooms when I go in, and I always wished there was more I could do beyond that for safety. Cool to know that there is.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm all for oil wrestling hot chicks, however 7 out of 10 hot chicks surveyed said they'd want to wrestle hot guys, the other 3 leaned towards other hot chicks. Sadly none said "We wanna roll with a web geek", so I'm outta luck. lol!

the chicks surveyed obviously weren't drunk enough. don't give up, bob.

jf

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, that never would have dawned on me. Could you elaborate? Not to the point of challenging one's dinner of course, but ... I'd love to explore this. For years I've been scanning public restrooms when I go in, and I always wished there was more I could do beyond that for safety. Cool to know that there is.

I've been enjoying the humor of this thread, but in reality, there is a form of mugging that takes place in public restrooms, and a couple forms of theft.

The most common is theft of purses and laptop computers from stalls. Basically, people put their computer bags down on the floor in front of them, and the thief just reaches under and grabs it and walks briskly away. You won't be chasing them for at least a couple seconds. The second is purses draped over the handy hook on the back of the stall door. This one is very common. A woman (or a man in drag) reaches over the top, grabs the bag that they know will most likely be there, and again walks off at a brisk pace.

The solution in both cases is to keep your bag or purse next to you, and if possible, step through the shoulder strap so it is secured to your leg.

The mugging I spoke of applies to men at urinals. The mugger comes up from behind the victim and forces him directly into the urinal and leans in with his body weight. The victim is pressed into the urinal and often has both hands in front of him and is looking down. The mugger then extracts the victim's wallet and flees. The victim is disoriented, off-balance, wet, and still, shall we say, exposed. Unlikely to give immediate chase.

The solution is to practice the 'spin' when hit from behind while urinating. One has to train themselves to avoid reacting instinctively to cover their groin when their tackle is out, but to instead elbow straight back, pivot, block or parry and strike the assailant. Expect to be hit and practice thinking about what you'll do when it happens.

Public bathrooms can be dangerous places, and many criminals understand only too well that many people have a natural aversion to paying close attention to anyone else in a bathroom, to avoid making eye contact, and to 'make themselves decent' before giving chase or raising an alarm when a crime is committed. One must abandon any pretense of modesty - you'd run out of your house naked if the house were on fire, wouldn't you? Same thing here.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

All joking aside though, I'm thinking that working against someone oiled up would greatly change your tactics in a confrontation.
Yeah, just a little.

I've wrestled a few slippery folks... Lots of things don't work quite right.

I periodically have a day where I encourage students to where old clothes similar to their daily wear, and we do self-defense scenarios. It's often rather an eye-opener.

Body armor and gunbelts also change how you move..

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh god yes it is.

I read this title as "Clothing Optional Training" and wondered why this wasn't in after dark. %-}

Latest Discussions