OODA Loop

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a nice and interesting article. I didn't learn until recently there was a name associated with what I had always called "chaos of the mind". Although the writer of the article is a systema practitioner, it is very clear we in the Bujinkan use the same to our advantage. I thought some of you might like to read it.

http://www.belisarius.com/modern_business_strategy/hord/ooda_individual_combat.htm

OODA Applied to Individual Combat or Martial Arts Training
By J. Mark Hord
If the observe-orient-decide-act (OODA) loop can be applied and practiced at the military unit or at the business level as it has been, then it should be scalable down to the individual combat or martial arts level as well. OODA refers to the observe-orient-decide-act loop we take for granted in a competition. OODA was first developed and formalized as a tool for understanding the decision phase by Col. John Boyd. Every participant in a competition (whether a war, business, sport, etc.) is observing the current situation, orienting themselves in the context of the current situation, using the observation and orientation to decide what needs to be done, and then acting on that decision. If an individual can reduce the time required for himself in that phase or increase the time required by his opponent to do the same, then the individual's actions will appear unpredictable and devastating to that opponent. Military exercises are a method for practicing the OODA loop by providing a realistic environment that mimics battle.
Just as military exercises are useful and necessary at the unit level, they are all the more important at the individual level. A martial art training regimen that includes OODA-practicing elements can, and should, be an integral part of that individual training. Martial arts training fosters the values of a warrior who thinks and acts on mission orders rather than specific instructions of an automaton. Martial arts foster greater esprit-de-corps in the practitioners as they train together. And, of course, martial arts increase the likelihood of the warrior surviving a hand to hand confrontation.

READ MORE

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bigshadow,

that was a great article. Thanks! Its like a more advanced version of the "SEE" information I posted.