Only Young Man In U.S. As Student Of Kishaba Juku Shorin Ryu

Yasuharu

White Belt
Reaction score
It's going to be a lonely road seeing as I am in fact the only student of my age and generation to study the style outside of okinawa. There are no young students whatsoever any longer. My father and the other senior students are still very selective. Bummer.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you tell us about your style? How's it compare to other Shorin Ryu styles, for example?

OP
Yasuharu

Yasuharu

White Belt
Reaction score
It's explained in a better manner than i would be able to here... on Wikipedia. Everything in our style seems to revolve around Koshi, hip carriage. Generation of power in movement through the strength in each student's Koshi. Staying firmly balanced and keeping guard while simultaneously attacking with power (keeping your center..Not turning your body almost at all) seems to always be the goal. No traditional blocks, lots of wrist and forearm deflection with follow up strikes immediately after.

This of course coming from the [son] of a practitioner/senior student. (I'm only nearing my EQ, Brown belt test) so my understanding of everything is a lot less detailed as opposed to a 40+ year student such as my father.

Its referred to by some as a martial arts club because of the picky student selection I'm guessing. but Kishaba sensei simply over time formulated his own twist of a style. I remember my father telling me that some if not a lot of the techniques are similar to Gojo Ryu. It's a very brutal offensive style.

OP
Yasuharu

Yasuharu

White Belt
Reaction score
I also just turned 18 haha, I'm still quite young compared to everyone.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I searched for Kishaba Juku Shorin Ryu there were quite a few sites that came up as doing your style. Just a few I looked at were in Florida, Hawaii, Oregon and Omaha. Are these not the same as yours?

OP
Yasuharu

Yasuharu

White Belt
Reaction score
They are, Paris Janos in Panama City, Florida, my uncle. Charles Goodin in Hawaii, that my father taught and certified so to speak. Not familiar with the other two schools but im sure my father is (They are the same style). Although the problem still remains : [. When I asked my father if there were any students my age or near it (my generation) he said not outside of Okinawa. It's a style full of people 2-3x my age! haha

OP
Yasuharu

Yasuharu

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok this confirmed just now before our morning workout... The practitioner in Nebraska passed away this spring from cancer : [
there are two small clubs in chicago.. My father was their teacher but they now stufy directly under shinzato sensei. The one in oregon no longer exsists.. He moved to texas and teaches there and also in israel.. that'd be family friend Chris Walton.
Borut, another family friend teaches over seas, and there is also a man who used to work out with my father at John Jay college in NYC that now teaches in DC, Thats all. Excuse my puctuation and grammar, im in quite a rush

OP
Yasuharu

Yasuharu

White Belt
Reaction score
Oh and also to add to my response here. It is somewhat of an advanced version of matsubayashi-ryu, jks.. Matsubayashi-ryu is the basic training beginner students learn in kishaba juku, which nagamine sensei invented some time ago.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since you just turned 18, consider going to University in Hawaii, on Oahu. I've met Charles Goodin and he really is an excellent karateka. His son takes care of the day to day teaching at the dojo. It's something to consider because it's away from home, it's exotic, and you can train in just about any other martial art you'd ever want out here.

OP
Yasuharu

Yasuharu

White Belt
Reaction score
I've actually considered that thoroughly! Yes thats pretty cool, my father taught him by sending videos back and forth with him(pretty cool). It's good to hear his son is taking things up and all. After another year or so of working out with my father here I plan to branch out somewhere. I'll be taking up teaching in my fathers place eventually too, perhaps an exotic area would be nice to establish myself in!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kishiba sensei is related to matsubayashi shorin ryu.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

OP
Yasuharu

Yasuharu

White Belt
Reaction score
kishaba juku is a matsubayashi ryu descendant style so to speak. Same area in okinawa, friend schools. Shoshin Nagamine - Kishaba Sensei

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Give some thought to what Makalakumu said. Hawaii has a wider variety of GOOD Martial Artists to train with than any place I've ever seen.