Only a colour belt but I got it!

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm a little unsure, but someone persuaded me to post this soooooo...

I've just passed my 7th Kup grading :boing2: so now I have my third belt... a nice yellow one with a green stripe through it, I'm getting there!

No sign of me giving up yet guys! And put them microscopes away too cos you won't find any signs either!

The grading was a little gut wrenching, I was totally confident up until the moment I realised I didn't have my belt with me! My bottle totally went and I found myself pleading with a kids dad to lend me his belt! The nice guy did and I went in with waist pinched trying to look like the really short belt was normal for me... :banghead:

Anyway I remembered all my patterns, I did my front turning kicks perfectly (thanks to a weeks solid practice) and found a good partner for my fixed sparring. When it came to the free sparring, we did two rounds. The second round was against a tall heavy set guy of 1 rank lower than me. I smiled at him, he smiled back and said "Don't worry I'll go easy on you".... I laughed! For that he got a kicking! :hammer:

One of the Instructors was close by me when I did it and pulled me up afterwards, I was ready to take a tongue lashing but all he said was "Kick off the front foot all the time and you'll be quicker, you are good enough to hold that kick up and do decent combos, use them".. I could have died!!!!

Anyway, that's my self-congratulatorary post for today!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey congrats on the new stripe..Why be unsure of posting an achievement?? You worked hard to get it didn't you?? No one just gave it to you did they??? We here at MT are happy when one of our own moves up in rank..

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations!
icon14.gif

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a little unsure, but someone persuaded me to post this soooooo...

I've just passed my 7th Kup grading :boing2: so now I have my third belt... a nice yellow one with a green stripe through it, I'm getting there!

No sign of me giving up yet guys! And put them microscopes away too cos you won't find any signs either!

Three times you've passed. Getting to be a habit! :)

The grading was a little gut wrenching, I was totally confident up until the moment I realised I didn't have my belt with me! My bottle totally went and I found myself pleading with a kids dad to lend me his belt! The nice guy did and I went in with waist pinched trying to look like the really short belt was normal for me... :banghead:
Can you say, Stress test...:lfao:

Anyway I remembered all my patterns, I did my front turning kicks perfectly (thanks to a weeks solid practice) and found a good partner for my fixed sparring. When it came to the free sparring, we did two rounds. The second round was against a tall heavy set guy of 1 rank lower than me. I smiled at him, he smiled back and said "Don't worry I'll go easy on you".... I laughed! For that he got a kicking! :hammer:

One of the Instructors was close by me when I did it and pulled me up afterwards, I was ready to take a tongue lashing but all he said was "Kick off the front foot all the time and you'll be quicker, you are good enough to hold that kick up and do decent combos, use them".. I could have died!!!!
See, even tho it was a 'test', it's really a chance for the instructors to encourage you.

Anyway, that's my self-congratulatorary post for today!
Not at all! CONGRATULATIONS! :partyon:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats!!! Keep training hard!!:ultracool

Mike

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What you have accomplished is a big step along the way to your more immediate goals, and a small step towards your never-ending goal! You should be proud of your achievement, as you have earned it.

Oh, and as for forgetting your belt, well, it happens to many people, and not just beginners. Throughout the decades of training, I've known many of my fellow instructors who had forgotten their belts, and had to borrow my extra that I keep in my gym bag.
icon10.gif

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A colored belt is more important than a black belt. At this level you are developing the basic building blocks. The more advanced material requires these building blocks in order to properly develope. Developing the basic's correctly is very difficult. Good job.
:ultracool

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like to hear about people's progress in the arts and tests, especially when it includes some details. Thanks for sharing and congratulations!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations! As an instructor, I can say that many of my students are prouder of their color belts than their black belts - I still consider my 5th gup test (high green) to be the one where I performed the best compared to the standard for the rank.

Also, without gup ranks there would be no MA - the seniors would slowly leave for age, illness, life events, etc., and the art would die - gup ranks are the future of any MA, and therefore extremely important!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Outstanding, Shads!!!

The test isn't only testing your technique but your composure and ability to think fast under stress, your resourcefulness (so you get full marks for having the wit to find someone with the same belt as you to borrow, instead of standing there panicking). That's in a way a lot harder than just executing a tech. Getting stagefright and then getting past it are essential. If you can perform for tests, then later on, when your instructor pulls you out of the line to demonstrate six advanced forms in a row to show the junior belts how it's done, it'll be a piece of cake.

Savor your triumph!! :highfive:

OP
Shaderon

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I feel much better about loosing my belt now! and as for demonstrating to the juniors.... I can see that coming to be honest! I'm already being used and abused for showing off stuff :lol:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I feel much better about loosing my belt now! and as for demonstrating to the juniors.... I can see that coming to be honest! I'm already being used and abused for showing off stuff :lol:
The bold above is my emphasis.

This means you're looked upon as being a good example. KUDOS to you for passing!

Kup/Gup ranks are important steps and are not to be dismissed lightly.

CONGRATULATIONS!
:partyon:

Latest Discussions