Online TV could get messy

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Online TV could get messy
By BlueDragon1981 - Fri, 04 Jan 2008 01:58:21 GMT
Originally Posted at: Nephrites Citadel

====================

Online TV has taken a sudden surge. It is growing rapidly. NBC signed a Amazon's Unbox Video and is making other waves by offering more and more shows online. It also has a show that is exclusively online called Coastal Dreams (I think). You also have ABC, CBS, FOX and CW starting to stream their shows.

CBS uses ad support to make theirs free and they are going to offer through AOL.com and have added themselves to the Joost.com list. Fox and NBC jointed to form Hulu.com and Hulu in turn will distribute to AOL, Comcast, MSN, MySpace, and Yahoo. This however is going to cause confusion. It is going to become a tangled up mess unless you get it directly through their sites. Joost ( www.joost.com )is in beta form still, but at this time offers 250 channels from various stations. This is likely the best bet for the companies if the want their shows online because people won't have to go to a million different places or have a million different controls put on their computer.

One very bad thing about many of these is that they only make their streams for IE... which means a growing market is out of luck. NBC is planning to offer Mac and Linux support sometime this year but that still remains to be seen. It also does not support other browsers... so if there are problems you are SOL for the most part. Some of the tech forums will help but they will not claim to support anything other than IE. Which I hope they change... very quickly.

(article from PC World Magazine. Dec 2007. Author Melissa J. Perenson. I only put it in my own words and of course added some of my own bias ... ;) )

Read More...

------------------------------------
Nephrites Citadel - SciFi/Fantasy/Anime and More!

Latest Discussions