Ong Bak & Muay Boran

G

geometry

This film is great, I found the fighting styles
much closer to Kung Fu, than traditional Muay Thai.

I understand the term for this style is Muay Boran?
The lead actor does a form which is very impressive:
is that a traditional Muay Boran form, and are there more??

I highly recommended the film to any student of martial arts.

thanks in advance :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where did you see this film? or is it a video?
I have never heard of it befor ( that dose not mean much) and am interested in perhaps viewing it sometime.

OP
G

geometry

tshadowchaser said:
Where did you see this film? or is it a video?
I have never heard of it befor ( that dose not mean much) and am interested in perhaps viewing it sometime.

The film never got a release in the West, though it is available on DVD
import on Ebay (try ebay.co.uk if you can't find it in the States)

The fighting is very very good. Good luck with your search..

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Apparently it will be released with english dubbing or subs sometime by a Hongkong company, right now I can only find Thai versions here in Thailand.. since it's a Thai movie. I am so jealous of my friends that all got roles in this movie, I'da killed for that! heh One of my favorite martial arts movies of all time.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
J

J_man

Don't get too confused. Muay Thai and Muay Boran are the same--style wise. Muay boran refers to how the matches are set up. In muay boran, fighters don't wear gloves, pads or any of that. Instead, fighters wrap their fists with rope (like you see in in the movie ong-bak). The actual boxing style is relatively the same.

About the movie, it was a huge success. I thought it was even interesting how "Air" (the supporting actress) even developed her own fan club after the release.

set_02_04.jpg
<== That's her w/ longer hair.

Thai people were also in shock when the movie came out because Petthai, the main actor, is not considered handsome at all by Thai standards. It is really strange for a person like that to ever be a main character in Thailand.

The man himself =>
59922.jpg

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just saw the movie last Saturday (Excellent!) & I think he's a cutie! :ultracool

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great action movie, but someone should've put a muzzle on the female lead. IMHO, of course.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
Great action movie, but someone should've put a muzzle on the female lead. IMHO, of course.

My buddy thought the same thing when we watched it. As far as the movie goes...some of the sweetest stunts and fight scenes I'ver seen on film. Totally worth owning.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have the movie here in the UK...no subtitles.ack.

But the fight scenes were awsome and due to the actions alone...I laughed my a$$ off!

I would kill for a subtitle or dub though!!

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
Definitely! Her voice was so shrill & annoying that I thought the same thing. Too bad they wouldn't let her character do anything else but complain or scream when being chased by the bad guys...:(

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just watched this movie last night. It's now become ichiban in my collection. Good Golly! The fights were incredible. I rewound almost all of them to watch them twice. Even my wife liked it! Gonna go find Tom Yum Gong, now. I wanna see how he gets an elephant back from Australia.

egg

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I enjoyed the movie, the plot was horrible, but the action was ok. It deffinitely wasn't anything I haven't seen. He did a good job, its I guess a new generation, because I didn't see anythink Jakie hadn't done (more extremely) in his early years. The fighting was ok, not as much of it as I had hoped.

Overall it wasn't bad. I did hear it was sort of a slap in the face for MMA Thai Boxers who abandon traditional MT. Dont know if thats true, but his trad MT looking pretty damn good.

7sm

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do agree that the quality of the movie, as compared to the MA performance, was low. A typical and tired plot and some continuity issues. I've seen Muay Thai used in some MMA fights (I've not seen many fights, I admit); so, to see MT represented singularly was both sophisticated and primal.

I didn't mean to say it was the bestest ever, just a good one for me.

egg

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
because I didn't see anythink Jakie hadn't done (more extremely) in his early years.
That's what makes it so great. It really brought it back to the early Chan films with no wires or special effects, just what the human body can do.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tony jaa is amazing,the move where he misses the low kick and then carries on spining and kicks to the face defies physics...wow even Mr jackson would be jealous of that spin!

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just watched it again :) This time through, I really noticed the low kick blocks. It's just such a nicely performed fight...all of them.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shaolin Bushido said:
I heard it was hokie ... I need to make a trip to blockbuster now.

It's hokey in all the ways MA films are typically hokey. The difference is that Jaa uses no wires, performs his own stunts and whoever choreographed the fight scenes was a genius...

Latest Discussions