one step sparring

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
When do you think is a good time to start teaching one step sparring? White belt is good time to begin with? I think these drills will be taught from white belt but I want to know from the people who actually teach TKD.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have 10 one-steps required to advance from white to yellow, 9th gup to 8th.

One steps help teach you how to move in combination with defending and countering techniques. I see no reason to not use them with white belts.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have 10 one-steps required to advance from white to yellow, 9th gup to 8th.

One steps help teach you how to move in combination with defending and countering techniques. I see no reason to not use them with white belts.

I agree. While I am no longer at a TKD school, I can testify that my old school had one step sparring that was first taught at white belt level. As the you went up in rank the one steps tend to get a bit more advance in techniques used.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach them within the first week. They're a great way to get the basics of blocking, timing & control (among other things) in a practical, but safe way.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I taught half one step sparring where I teach how to defend (block) againt a downwards club, a direct fron punch and a direct kick. Maybe it's time to star to do full one steps sparring and I will acomodate only 5 easy one of them for my two white belts.

Manny

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We started at white belt with basic block and punch type moves. As you went up through the belts the moves started to get more complex.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I taught half one step sparring where I teach how to defend (block) againt a downwards club, a direct fron punch and a direct kick. Maybe it's time to star to do full one steps sparring and I will acomodate only 5 easy one of them for my two white belts.

Manny

Manny, what is a half one-step? Can you describe one?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
white belt, as soon as they can sort out the limbs well enough to not fall on their faces.
In theory it gets a student used to the idea of having a fist in their faces.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don`t see any reason why basic one steps should not be taught to beginners. To adults at least, kids are another matter.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We require students to learn our 5 basic one step's in order to advanced to gold (yellow) belt. They are very basic, but teach the fundamentals of timing, spacing, distance, etc.. .

ronagle

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When do you think is a good time to start teaching one step sparring? White belt is good time to begin with? I think these drills will be taught from white belt but I want to know from the people who actually teach TKD.

Manny

I would think semi to full contact is more useful for a number of reasons. One step is better however than point dancing, I mean, "fighting"

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Manny

Manny - We have 5 set ones steps for white belts that have been with the school since it began. We've altered/trashed atogether the yellow and up multiple times, but I would be happy to share with you what we teach, maybe you could either take ideas from them, or just use them if you wish.

Slightly OT, but would you all consider movements starting with being grabbed one steps or SD? My other instructors keep wanting to add one steps that start off grabs, I have said no thus far, wanted other opinions.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Manny - We have 5 set ones steps for white belts that have been with the school since it began. We've altered/trashed atogether the yellow and up multiple times, but I would be happy to share with you what we teach, maybe you could either take ideas from them, or just use them if you wish.

Slightly OT, but would you all consider movements starting with being grabbed one steps or SD? My other instructors keep wanting to add one steps that start off grabs, I have said no thus far, wanted other opinions.

IMHO, it's a matter of semantics really. IF you only grab, than it is still technically a one step self defense. If you get more elaborate and say a grab and punch from the attacker, then it's technically a "two step" SD. In my BB classes I have our BB's practice this type of one step SD, from grabs, chokes, kicks, etc. I leave the traditional one step SD for the gups, mainly because they need to continue to focus on the fundamentals.

Matt.A

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Manny

At our network of schools, we teach one step sparing starting at white belt. The are three one steps for most of the ranks up to black. Each one step has techniques consistent with the skill level of that belt. Much like the poomsae or forms become more difficult, so do the one steps we study.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Simple drill modifications to enhance one step training:

• Have the student perform their solo as kata. Good for learning the sequence of movements.
  • Once they have learned the one steps, have them chain them together. Finish #1, back step 2 lengths and then perform #2 in the opposite direction. Repeat until they have finished all the ones they know. Another tool to make them REALLY learn the one steps.
  • Change the attacks up. Make a straight punch a hook punch. Or add a club in. Or make it a kick. This forces the student to modify the one step to make them work, a key stage to making this stuff work for real.
  • Pad up an attacker and let their partner practice their one steps but this time they land the shots at 3/4 power instead of truncating in the air as most will. This again is another stage towards making the one step something more than a technical proficiency exercise.

Latest Discussions