"On Line"Gamming

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone participate in "on line" gamming.
This would be something like "Call to Duty", Battlefield 1942 or Battlefield 2142.
:knight2:

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a hack and slash Heaven Vs Hell themed Massive Online or Solo Player. I've been playing it for a good 4 years now. Diabloii.net is a good place to look if you want some real in depth info as to the game itself and how it's run.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Diablo II ? What type of game is this?
A computerized version of Dungeons and Dragons simply put.

I used to play those shoot-em up type games. They're fun... if you got the right people to play against.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't play 'on-line' as such but I local-lan "Age of Empires III" every week - we've been doing this all the way through the development of the franchise (which is more than a decade I think :eek:).

I'm also very involved in Gran Turismo, which has an on-line racing community of a sort wherby you record the replays of your race which are then mailed off to be moderated by stewards for fairness.

Fabulous fun and I've gotten so much value for money out of my PS1 and PS2 because of the GT series - indeed I spent three or four hours last night spannering the suspension of a Shelby Cobra 427 to try and get it not to crash so much :lol:.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I play tearlessfatal. It's fun, if you're into play-by-post.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've leveled a toon in WoW; but, don't play much anymore. Very time-consuming.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
WoW is evil. I've tried it a few times but just couldn't get into it.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
The time they take to play and their impact on most kids was summed up very nicely by a t shirt I once saw.

It read:

"I went outside once. The graphics are not that good".

It's not like I don't like a nice Call of Duty session now and again, but not every day for 9-10 hours a pop.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ROFLKLITA! I've not heard that one before but it's quite apt.

At one time I was ranked 6th in the world (in class) in a global GT championship that involves all the major boards. What brought home to me that, much as I might enjoy tuning and driving these virtual cars, it really don't amount to a hill of beans (delightful American phrase) was when my missus used to brag to people about it and they would have that "Oh! That's interesting! Look at that pigeon over there!" reaction :lol:.

Gaming may be intense and involve a lot of work and skill but over time you do come to realise that it isn't that important. It is fun tho', just as long as you make that realisation.

If you don't ... or if, as in my case, you have motorcycle induced brain damage which broke your internal 'moderator' ... you can get far too emotionally upset about all those "1"'s and "0"'s not doing what you wanted. That is how come, one night, I ended up picking up a table full of high-end kit ($5000 worth), by the $400 racing wheel attached to it and throwing the whole lot across the room {and they say ki isn't real :lol:}.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
We put a limit on gaming. Even I follow it. One hour a day, two if the weather prevents us from going outside.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WoW is evil. I've tried it a few times but just couldn't get into it.

I don't know about the evil, per se; but, it swallowed an awful lot of my time getting to the highest level. I'm talking months and, yes, 6-8 hours a pop on the days I played.

Ultimately, as they say inGame, rl knocked on my gate with a heroic key, so I answered and went back into the sun.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ultimately, as they say inGame, rl knocked on my gate with a heroic key, so I answered and went back into the sun.

Thank god for rl then lol. When Ultima Online first came out I was really bad too. I spent countless hours online playing. It was not pretty. I'm kinda glad they destroyed the game play and changed everything. Turned me off to it all and I was able to step back and realize that gaming was controlling my life. Changed that in a hurry.

OP
LawDog

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On-line gamming is just simple fun, you meet new friends and no one gets hurt. With children there should be some kind of adult supervison.
I don't live on-line gamming like some do but then there are many who live on the various forums.
Bottom line,
Do what you find fun as long as no body gets hurt.