on free style

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
A few questions in one.
  • Firstly, who out there does a form of freestyle? What kind doesn’t matter.
  • Nextly, what is it called? And for that matter what are the rules for at your school
  • Thirdly, what is meant to develop?
    • Example: Chi Sao is Wing Chuns’ free style. It mostly meant to devolop the sensitivity of your body and at the same time harden most of your upper body. From what I understand any ways.

You way wonder what my school does. We do Coung Nhu standard sparring and two forms of modified randori.
  • Coung Nhu standard sparring rules: 1. Light or no contact, unless you agree to otherwise with your opponent.
    • 2. No leg catches, or sweeps to anyone below green belt.
    • 3. Groin attacks are allowed to green belts and above, but only with GREAT control.
    • 4. Hands and feet are weapons.
    • 5. No face contact to any one below black belt.
    • 6. No throws to any one below brown belt.
    • 7. 5 point matches
    • 8. Chest, stomach, side and top of head are points
    • 9. Any strike with a valid weapon is a point, if it is to a valid target.
    • Mostly it’s about building confidence and starting to give you an idea of how to react
  • Modified randori: Same as normal, but no point system, ends only in tap out.
    • Same idea as sparring.
  • Second form of modified randori: as above, but you start on your knees instead of feet.
    • Again same, for the most part, as sparring
  • We also do Bo and tambo sparring. It’s the same as Coung Nhu standard, but with a weapon. And I think the targets change a little. No groin shots, and the hands, knees, and elbows become targets. There might be some other stuff, but I think of them.

And by now you probably want to know why I ask. For the most part I don’t have one. But I do like to dapple in other styles and might find something I can use to help me other areas. But for the most part, I don’t have a reason to ask.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

kachi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I do Freestyle Karate and it's called Zen Do Ryu Freestyle Karate. As for rules I really don't want to explain all of them, the sparring rules are much like yours except we don't use point scoring and there are no grapples or throws at all. Our style isn't really meant to develop one or two particular things, it's like most other martial arts in that it develops alot of things like concentration, disciplin, strength, etc...

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mmm...not quite my point. But then, once again, I'm not even sure what my point is [joke, but I'm not]. by the way check your user cp

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
  • Firstly, who out there does a form of freestyle? What kind doesn’t matter.
Ok. Firstly, what do you mean by freestyle? Sparring or training?
  • Nextly, what is it called? And for that matter what are the rules for at your school
If you are referring to sparring, we call it sparring. If you are referring to training, we do a form of training which encompasses whatever you can do. We call it Jing Mo Do. Jing meaning to refine or polish, Mo refers to Martial, Do is way or method or style. Jing Mo Do refers to the constant refining or polishing of ones martial method.
  • Thirdly, what is meant to develop?
    • Example: Chi Sao is Wing Chuns’ free style. It mostly meant to devolop the sensitivity of your body and at the same time harden most of your upper body. From what I understand any ways.
It is my understanding Chi Sao isn’t free style at all. There are distinct and controlled movements used in Chi Sao. Chi Sao itself is a training drill used to prepare the practitioner for poon sao, where the practitioners apply more pressure at random in an attempt to attack the opponents weak points. I believe poon sao is what you are referring to.

Our sparring is used to learn to control and manipulate timing, distance, and rhythm while using all the different ways one can attack or counter attack.

You way wonder what my school does. We do Coung Nhu standard sparring and two forms of modified randori.
  • Coung Nhu standard sparring rules: 1. Light or no contact, unless you agree to otherwise with your opponent.
    • 2. No leg catches, or sweeps to anyone below green belt.
    • 3. Groin attacks are allowed to green belts and above, but only with GREAT control.
    • 4. Hands and feet are weapons.
    • 5. No face contact to any one below black belt.
    • 6. No throws to any one below brown belt.
    • 7. 5 point matches
    • 8. Chest, stomach, side and top of head are points
    • 9. Any strike with a valid weapon is a point, if it is to a valid target.
    • Mostly it’s about building confidence and starting to give you an idea of how to react
  • Modified randori: Same as normal, but no point system, ends only in tap out.
    • Same idea as sparring.
  • Second form of modified randori: as above, but you start on your knees instead of feet.
    • Again same, for the most part, as sparring
  • We also do Bo and tambo sparring. It’s the same as Coung Nhu standard, but with a weapon. And I think the targets change a little. No groin shots, and the hands, knees, and elbows become targets. There might be some other stuff, but I think of them.
When we spar the rules are don’t go harder than your training partner can handle. It does make the better practitioners hold back and must have control in their attacks and counters it also creates a great training environment for them to apply tactics and strategies. The lower ability practitioners learn to handle strikes and blows without being damaged badly. When sparring only targets we hold back on is groin, eyes, back of neck and spine.

This is also done against multiple attackers with and without multiple weapons involved.

There are no points only contact.
It isn’t about making points or winning or losing, it is about learning to hit, not get hit, or being able to continue if and when you get hit. Takedowns, throws and locks to submission are allowed. Submission doesn’t mean you are a looser it only means the other would have damaged you badly at the point, if it were a choke out you would have probably been dead. If say an arm-bar then that limb is restricted and the sparring continues. We don’t work for points. Contact with the head is only that, contact with the head. If a point is awarded and the opponent is still standing or fighting the fight isn’t over. If bladed weapons are used then damage is assessed based on what strike was used and where. Sword or machete (training stick being used) to forearm or hand say then that hand or limb is restricted immediately and the fight continues, if to the neck fight stoppage after 5 seconds. Thrust to the body then you have 10 seconds with the fights continuing, to the head, 5 seconds. We acknowledge the damage but the fight doesn’t stop. The attacker learns to continue until the other can no longer continue. You don’t stop just because the other seems injured. They can still be extremely dangerous no matter how badly injured they are.

Danny

T

TheBattousai

I practice a form of freestyle kempo. Our katas are freestyle the moment you walk threw the door. We have what you might call certain types of kata that train principles but thats all (i.e. sanchin for hard ki training or keri kata for working kicks). But we don't spare, so can't help you there.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I practise freestyle fighting and various freestyle self-defense concepts I put to use. My styel is more of a hybrid of the original art and therefore could be called freestyle. Most would say that freestyle is street fighting. I tend to agree.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Real fighting is "Chaos" no rules, anything goes, rocks,chairs,weapons of any kind can be use any time, biting, hair pulling, NO RULES.

No resting, no time outs, anyone can join in....Do you practice this style of FREE STYLE? Be aware of knives too?

When you get into one? ....will you be ready for this?

Adrenline response and not wanting to get into a fight....will cause you to..maybe not react enough? or be willing to go all the way?

Killer Instinct? ....do you have it?

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two things:
1. I don’t just mean with points, in Coung Nhu when you get two brown belts or above, the point thing goes out the window. It lasts 1-5 minutes. Depending. We just use it to give use juniors a chance to get the basics down.
2. I do mean a form of pseudo-fighting. And I know that it is different then a real fight. There is no safe, legal, and completely legal way to fight for real.

Some of you seem to be getting a little testy about this topic. I wont say whom. I figured out why I asked though. I want to see what other schools/styles do. And if, at some point for some reason, I might want to try it. So deep breaths, calm and center yourselves.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I work with several people with a jujitsu background. I have a TKD background, and a couple of the people I work with come along to our TKD classes sometimes.

Frequently, our TKD instructor will allow a 'freestyle' session between TKD black belts and the jujitsu guys. Basic safety rules apply, don't go 100% or accidents turn into hospital trips, use control, no very dangerous strikes (groin, eyes, spine, etc) but apart from that, no holds are barred.

Very fun, and a few of the TKD people get some very nasty surprises.

"Why is he holding on to my clothes like tha...

*FLUMP*

... Ouch..."

J

jbclinic

in my gym we too have free style applications, which means use what you know to counteract or redirect an attack, but in the gym it's all about ones' control as to what you get out of it. sometimes equipment is used sometimes not. the practioners that i know are in various arts; 18lohan, wu shu,boxing wing chun etc what i'm trying to is that free style in my opion is nothing more than cross- training that you want to flow at any time, so your tool-box is always open

Latest Discussions