Olympics

I

InvisibleFist

Hello TKDers.

We are having a lively discussion over at the Chinese forum about the possibility of an olympic event in Kung Fu.

I'm wondering if there is similar controversy in the TKD communty. Did the olympics have a corrupting influence on TKD? Did it effect its status as a martial art?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes it did. I know the Art is looked upon as only a sport in most other styles, not saying bad or good. Just an observation. When the sport is an object to get notearality, this is not bad as ling as you are able to maintain the intigity of the Art it suppose to be.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tae Kwon Do has suffered controversy almost as long as it has been part of the Olympic movement, between those who want the publicity the Olympics bring and those who fear that TKD loses its "martial art" identity as an Olympic sport. The same thing could very well happen to Wushu.
Could be a moot point anyhow, as Tae Kwon Do very likely will lose its Olympic credentials. If that happens, World Tae Kwon Do will have to take a good long look at itself and decide where it wants to go. Why remain a sport when the primary goal most of the WTF competitors train for, the Olympics, is no longer an option?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
InvisibleFist said:
Hello TKDers.

We are having a lively discussion over at the Chinese forum about the possibility of an olympic event in Kung Fu.

I'm wondering if there is similar controversy in the TKD communty. Did the olympics have a corrupting influence on TKD? Did it effect its status as a martial art?
1. Not sure if Taekwondo is corrupted. I do think some people are corrupt (very small minority of folks IMHO).

2. Getting into the Olympics was and is a dream for many great athletes. Taekwondo provides a vehicle for that dream. Taekwondo is a martial art which has a sporting element.

The attention generated by being included in the Olympics can be used to better Taekwondo and the world by extension. If we as instructors do our job properly, these new students will become excellent martial artists and enhance their communities.

Miles