olympic coverage

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone else a little frustrated about the time they're gonna be airing the tkd coverage...half the time it's at like 3 in the morning. Whether or not you have any issues with what the Olympics has done for taekwondo...good or bad...it's still fun to watch.

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Olympics really put TKD on the map, but it has not got the ratings expected, so the TV coverage it gets is at non-peak times.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah...i understand...it looks like i'll just have to keep the vcr ready...i hope i don't need the written consent of nbc and the IOC...

I bet they're on my trail now

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yeah...my poor judo suffers even worse than taekwondo...at least tkd is on some major channels....i think judo is on nbc twice...otherwise it's on like the bravo channel or something...and i don't get that one.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I had my way, I'd be able to TiVo it all. I'd be watching boxing, Judo, TKD, Greco-Roman, freestyle wrestling, fencing, pentathalon...every single combat sport. I like the other events, too, don't get me wrong...there is nothing more magnificent than a world class gymnast...

But I want to see two people square off and GO!!!!

They need a separate channel just for that.

Regards,

Steve

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TV coverage stinks most of the time. The networks spend more time giveing sob stories and personal historys than they do on the events. After that they have a tendency (here in the USA) to show only the events they think someone from the USA will do good in. Heaven forbid we want to watch something the US will not do good in.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
I'd be watching boxing, Judo, TKD, Greco-Roman, freestyle wrestling, fencing, pentathalon...every single combat sport

no kidding...i didn't mean to disrespect western combat, though never learned much about the art...fencing is so fun to watch...don't forget the modern biathalon...now that was a sport custom built for people from the midwest....cross-country skiing and shooting stuff...

must have been the same guy that came up with explosives and alcohol for the fourth of july...

some things are just better together...

not always safer...but more interesting for sure...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
If I had my way, I'd be able to TiVo it all. I'd be watching boxing, Judo, TKD, Greco-Roman, freestyle wrestling, fencing, pentathalon...every single combat sport. I like the other events, too, don't get me wrong...there is nothing more magnificent than a world class gymnast...

But I want to see two people square off and GO!!!!

They need a separate channel just for that.
Preach, brother, preach!

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That would be great...they have all these niche channels on cable now....golf, food and more than i care to know about....it'd be great to have a martial arts channel...
covering all arts....eastern/western...broadcasting competitions...bios...all sorts of stuff...i'd become addicted to tv again...

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are lucky, over here we proberbly wont even see it, if we do it will be 1 min of highlights screened in the middle of the night!

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Preach, brother, preach!

I HAVE BEEN TO THE MOUNTAINTOP...

I dream of a day where ALL God's children, black and white, red and yellow, will be able to join hands on broadbands ALL across this nation and be able to sing out "See? at last! See? At last! Thank God Almighty, coverage at last!!"

With all due respect to Dr. Martin Luther King and apologies for liberties taken.

Regards,

Steve

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
I HAVE BEEN TO THE MOUNTAINTOP...

I dream of a day where ALL God's children, black and white, red and yellow, will be able to join hands on broadbands ALL across this nation and be able to sing out "See? at last! See? At last! Thank God Almighty, coverage at last!!"

With all due respect to Dr. Martin Luther King and apologies for liberties taken.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sarah said:
You are lucky, over here we proberbly wont even see it, if we do it will be 1 min of highlights screened in the middle of the night!

From what I saw...all the coverage will be on NBC or CNBC...here in america...do you get either of those down under?

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On satellite television we can, I think we have a team in the Olympics but because Athens is 10 hours behind us we probably will only see highlights, or if we are very lucky we could probably stay up till all hours of the night and hope they televise a little bit!!!!!

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Raisin said:
On satellite television we can, I think we have a team in the Olympics but because Athens is 10 hours behind us we probably will only see highlights, or if we are very lucky we could probably stay up till all hours of the night and hope they televise a little bit!!!!!
That shows how much coverage we have, I didnt even know New Zealand had a team!

As Raisin said we can get some channels on Sky Satelite, but chance's of it being covered in NZ are slim.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually this year NBC is setting a record for it's olympic coverage...there will televised coverage of every event at the games...something like a total of 70 hours a day on like 7 channels....NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, BRAVO, USA, TELEMUNDO, NBC HDTV

so maybe there's some hope you can check it out

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was on the news about a couple of weeks ago, a 19 year old girl had just got her black belt just intime to make the Olympic team to go to the Olympics, pretty aweseme aye!!!!!! I hope we kick butt!!!! lol

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
bignick said:
Actually this year NBC is setting a record for it's olympic coverage...there will televised coverage of every event at the games...something like a total of 70 hours a day on like 7 channels....NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, BRAVO, USA, TELEMUNDO, NBC HDTV

so maybe there's some hope you can check it out
Thanks for that, will have to look into it.