Olympic Combat Sports

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread on the various Olympic combat sports. Share any good videos you find or just discuss the various events.

I asked earlier what we were in for with the Karate. Found this, which is from qualifiers. A good preview of what to expect. Mostly kata in the first half and some kumite in the latter half of the video.

Could be fun to watch, actually.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep, can't wait, 5th-7th of August peoples!

Got some Aussies in the mix too!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watch the rugby too .😁

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I love to watch rugby. Played rugby for a year in high school in an intramural league. I actually prefer it to American football.
Rugby is nuts. Love watching it.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do they have actual fighting or just forms? It's boring to look at forms. In my book, MA is an art of kicking butts, want grace and look pretty, go do ballet.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh this was the best... 🤣🤣🤣
There’s quite a bit of criticism of his…ebullient behaviour :rolleyes: I think he’s just reacting to the realisation that he’s going to make a lot of sponsorship money…

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
There’s quite a bit of criticism of his…ebullient behaviour :rolleyes: I think he’s just reacting to the realisation that he’s going to make a lot of sponsorship money…
Wow really.. I cannot see how people would have issue with his celebrating his athlete winning gold, it was a massive deal for him and her. It was rather exuberant but didn't hurt anyone haha

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they have actual fighting or just forms? It's boring to look at forms. In my book, MA is an art of kicking butts, want grace and look pretty, go do ballet.

You don't understand what Kata is then, it's not boring if you know what you're looking at and can work out the Bunkai. It's like many things in life, appears pointless until you actually look into it.

Have a look on Iain Abernethy's site, it's very informative and useful. Lots of articles on self defence. I've done a few seminars with him as well as having his books and videos. You could find something that would help you there.

iainabernethy.co.uk

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes there will be a kata section.
Wow really.. I cannot see how people would have issue with his celebrating his athlete winning gold, it was a massive deal for him and her. It was rather exuberant but didn't hurt anyone haha
I think it was the hip-thrusting that was viewed as ‘undignified’ from a coach to which people look-up and means only one thing, really! It was was an odd thing to do when a fist pump, cheering and waving might’ve been more appropriate, especially in Japan where Kendoka, for example, are disqualified for fist-pumping when winning a contest. Know your audience! :D Also, ripping off a mask in proximity to Olympic staff was not deemed appropriate.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't understand what Kata is then, it's not boring if you know what you're looking at and can work out the Bunkai. It's like many things in life, appears pointless until you actually look into it.

Have a look on Iain Abernethy's site, it's very informative and useful. Lots of articles on self defence. I've done a few seminars with him as well as having his books and videos. You could find something that would help you there.

iainabernethy.co.uk
Horses for courses. Some people like very restricted fighting, other like the beauty of well-performed kata. I don’t like Strictly…type dancing but it’s skilful. As to kata promoting self-defence ability….well, MMA don’t have kata and I’d rate their self-defence abilities higher that, say Rita Usami!

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
His athlete just beat the world record holder. I think he was genuinely happy for her.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes there will be a kata section.

I think it was the hip-thrusting that was viewed as ‘undignified’ from a coach to which people look-up and means only one thing, really! It was was an odd thing to do when a fist pump, cheering and waving might’ve been more appropriate, especially in Japan where Kendoka, for example, are disqualified for fist-pumping when winning a contest. Know your audience! :D Also, ripping off a mask in proximity to Olympic staff was not deemed appropriate.
Yeah the mask ripping that's fair enough (he actually issued an apology for that in an interview anyway).

The other stuff was actually an homage to his favourite wrestler The Ultimate Warrior, that was what the wrestler did hehe, but can see how many people wouldn't be aware of that.

Latest Discussions