oldest english language kung fu book?

brianlkennedy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am working on a short encyclopedia entry about Chinese martial arts training manuals and was trying to rely on my own memory about something but---rather than just rely on that fallible source I should ask around. Here is the question:

What are some of the oldest english language books about Chinese martial arts that you remember?

I am remembering from my high school days (early 1970s) these three as being kind of the oldest:

Hung Gar by Bucksam Kong
Wing Chun by James Lee (Bruce Lee as editor)
Iron Palm in 100 Days (and another one called Chinese Leg Maneuvers ) by Lee Ying-Arng

Is that what you folks are remembering as being some of the first Chinese martial arts books you ever saw.

Take care,
Brian

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Beverage of the Chinese kungfu or Tauist* medical gymnastics-John Dudgeon 1895

The book was republished as the infamous Chinese healing arts- William R. Berk

The word Tauist means Taoist it was just spelled that way by him.

I am sure there are more thats just off the top of my head.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oldest meaning first to be translated into English

Some of CMC's books have been around awhile
And some of Yang Jwing Ming's books have been around awhile as well and some of those have translations in them
Also I remember the first edition of "Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts" that is from the early 70s and has a section on CMA

or

Oldest meaning oldest book translated into English

There are some pretty of Xingyiquan and Bagua books that have been translated. Like "The Xingyi Boxing Manual: Hebei Style's Five Principles and Seven Words by Jing Yunting". It is relatively old but I believe it is a fairly new translation

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the books by robert smith could be included
sorry I dont have my hands on my copies at this moment so I can not give you the names

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
the books by robert smith could be included
sorry I dont have my hands on my copies at this moment so I can not give you the names

Robert Smith has been writing about martial arts since the early '50s, but before 1959 it was about Japanese arts. 1959 was when he was posted to Taiwan.

Try these titles:
  • Secrets of Shaolin Temple Boxing (1964)
  • Pa-kua: Chinese Boxing for Fitness and Self-defense (1967)
  • T'ai-chi: The "Supreme Ultimate" Exercise for Health, Sport, and Self-defense (1967) with Cheng Man Ching
  • Chinese Boxing: Masters and Methods (1974)
  • Hsing-I: Chinese Mind-Body Boxing (1974)
These are the ones that are specifically about gongfu.

Latest Discussions