Old TKD Forms

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know where these forms come from Hwa Rang and Cho Moo(sp)? Just to let you know these are not ITF forms. There are 3 Hwa Rangs and 4 Cho Moos. The first Hwa Rang is in the shape of a Y and repet down blocks and punches threw out the form. My wife's original instructor died and she is now under a different instructor but she still teaches her old forms.

I am just curious of where these forms come from.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We learn Hwa Rang and Choong Moo at our school. They are the last two colored belt patterns. Ours are the same moves as the ITF patterns with the same name, but we don't perform them the same (no sine wave, no stomping, etc.)

Do your patterns actually have different moves than the ITF patterns of the same name?

Here are the moves for the ITF patterns:
http://www.itf-information.com/patterns09.htm
http://www.itf-information.com/patterns10.htm

These patterns are the patterns invented by General Choi, and are often called the Chang Hon patterns.

Rick

OP
T

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No these are not the ITF forms.

Hwa Rang 1 is in the shape of a "Y" 20 moves
Hwa Rang 2 is in the shape of a "I" 21 moves
Hwa Rang 3 is in the shape of a "T" 21 moves

The are pretty basic forms all repeating with only two to four techniques.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does anyone know where these forms come from Hwa Rang and Cho Moo(sp)? Just to let you know these are not ITF forms. There are 3 Hwa Rangs and 4 Cho Moos. The first Hwa Rang is in the shape of a Y and repet down blocks and punches threw out the form. My wife's original instructor died and she is now under a different instructor but she still teaches her old forms.

What is your wife's original instructor's name and kwan?

OP
T

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score
CJ Stewart his instructor was Dan K Choi (Ernie Reyes original instructor). After doing some research it appears Choi is associated with the Moo Duk Kwan. I live by one of their studios so I guess I could go ask his brother Hyun K. Choi.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
CJ Stewart his instructor was Dan K Choi (Ernie Reyes original instructor). After doing some research it appears Choi is associated with the Moo Duk Kwan. I live by one of their studios so I guess I could go ask his brother Hyun K. Choi.

Those forms were made up somewhere along the way. They are not part of the Moo Duk Kwan syllabus as defined by Hwang, Kee.

OP
T

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Those forms were made up somewhere along the way. They are not part of the Moo Duk Kwan syllabus as defined by Hwang, Kee.

Thats what I figured, I was just wondering if anyone knew when/where/why they were created. Are they old Moo Duk Kwan forms that are no longer practice?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thats what I figured, I was just wondering if anyone knew when/where/why they were created. Are they old Moo Duk Kwan forms that are no longer practice?

They are not Moo Duk Kwan forms at all. Those are the classical Okinawan-Japanese heritage forms like Pyung Ahn 1-5, Pal Sek, Naihanji, Kong San Koon, Lohai, etc.

I'm guessing from the names chosen (Hwa-Rang and Choong Moo) for these mini-forms that someone had at least an inkling of what was happening in ITF world.

OP
T

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What is your wife's original instructor's name and kwan?

Did knowing my wife's original instructor help? Do you know any history on Dan Choi's family tree? It says he is a 9th Dan Kuikkiowon but I am not sure what he teaches.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did knowing my wife's original instructor help? Do you know any history on Dan Choi's family tree? It says he is a 9th Dan Kuikkiowon but I am not sure what he teaches.

GM CHOI Dan Kyu is a Moo Duk Kwan member, I want to say from the Daejon area. He was brought to the United States by GM KANG Myung Kyu from Sacramento, along with others such a GM YU Byong Yong and others. GM Choi's most famous student is probably GM Ernie Reyes Sr. GM Choi's brother GM CHOI Hyun Kyu was Master Tim Connolly's first instructor. Master Connolly was a US National Team member from the late 80's and early 90's, and was one of the competitors featured in the US Players tape. I think that GM Dan Choi left the bay area and moved to Arizona, but I am not sure.

Latest Discussions