Old/Obsolete systems

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello to all computer experts here.

My teacher wanting some informations regarding old Apple Macintosh computers, he is thinking of buying an old system called "Macintosh SE FDHD" or a "Macintosh Classic" and wondering about the prices & shipping costs to Indonesia. Anyone could help?

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don't buy an "old system". You will run into limitations and compatability problems.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JAMJTX said:
Don't buy an "old system". You will run into limitations and compatability problems.

While I would generally agree with that advice, particularly as the price of newer systems have come down so much, it also depends upon what you use it for. I bought an old Pentium laptop for $50.00 that I set up to run my old CD version of "The Encyclopedia Britannica". It does this quite passably. I can also use it for basic word processing as it came with MS-Word and I have a spare printer.

I think it depends upon what he wants it for. Basic wordprocessing and bookkeeping, etc. - or hot new applications and Internet surfing. If the latter, than an old system will be nothing but headaches and will cost more ultimately to upgrade/repair than a new system would cost to buy. If the former, and he can get a model DIRTCHEAP, than go ahead.

OP
J

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind advices! I am a computer user myself and I asked sensei the same question, why you want to buy old computers made in the year 1990 while you already have a Pentium 4 in your desktop? He said "I want the macintosh for nostalgia values" :D

Whoa.. old pentium laptop, CD-capable, for $50 ?? That's dirt cheap! Where to buy?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, we'd like to get some cheap machines for the kids for Christmas, to be used as word processors. We are looking online for cheap machines!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lots of people buy them as collector's items. With some machines that may not be quite that old, they use them as hardware firewalls.

Cthulhu

OP
J

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cthulhu said:
Lots of people buy them as collector's items.

Cthulhu

old Apple Macintosh systems for collector's items? that's interesting :)

Must admit though, macintosh systems is rather cute, like friendly small TVs..

Latest Discussions