Officers Dealing With Aftermath

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Officers deal with aftermath of deadly force

Second of two parts
Jim Brock knows what it's like to point a gun at someone and pull the trigger. Mitchell Moore knows what it's like to be saved by an officer's bullet.
The two lethal incidents happened 17 years apart, but both police officers say sometimes use of deadly force is necessary.
"You never want to forget that ever," said Fort Oglethorpe police Officer Moore, who was shot twice in the back by John Curtis Coates on June 24. "You want to remember that."
His computer's background provides a daily reminder -- an image of Mr. Coates pointing a handgun at him a millisecond before he pulled the trigger twice. Mr. Coates then was fatally shot by Walker County Deputy Terry Miller. The case has been closed, the death ruled justifiable.
In the aftermath of several officer-involved shootings this year, it's easy to forget about officers who end up as victims, Officer Moore said. People often focus on suspects, chalking up officer injuries as part of the job, he said.
"They're thinking about Mr. Coates in relationship to (Deputy Miller)," said Officer Moore, who returned to work four days after the shooting. "What they're not thinking about is the relationship of Mr. Coates to me. We rarely get put in the role of victim."
In Chattanooga police Officer Brock's case, the incident lasted just 11 seconds.
more here: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/oct/05/officers-deal-with-aftermath-of-deadly-force/
Trying to find the first of this series...

Either way I think this article helps non-LEO's understand what Officers have to deal with after a deadly force incident.
:asian: to all those here on MT and abroad.

Interesting quote from the article: "You don't bring a Taser to a gunfight," he said.

Used to be "don't bring a knife to a gunfight..." my how we have grown.

Latest Discussions