Odd Movements

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been playing soccer for all of my life, but only recently have I started to really develop into my own player, if you will. I do eclectic movements that seem weird or impractical to my friends when I practice them. This past week, though, a couple of those "weird" movements came into play during a game and were quite effective. So my question to you all is: have you/do you train a style that has unusual movements (whether its footwork, punches, throws, etc) that maybe make you question their merit simply because they seem too bizarre? On top of that, have any of you found those weird techniques to be effective at one point or another? I've learned through soccer that it's better to be prepared for those weird moments than not. :p

G

Gary Crawford

almost anytime we learn something new,it involves what some describe as "wierd" feeling. That is because it is something we either haven't done before or haven't done much at all. That's where the repetitive practice comes in just like your soccer techniques. Sooner or later if the new movement is done enough,it becomes part of " muscle memory" . When I first started JKD, I learned the "oblique kick" which really felt strange, until I did it enough times that it became one of my most effective weapons(great for knee destruction) and for the record,it is just like an inside soccer kick.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've been playing soccer for all of my life, but only recently have I started to really develop into my own player, if you will. I do eclectic movements that seem weird or impractical to my friends when I practice them. This past week, though, a couple of those "weird" movements came into play during a game and were quite effective. So my question to you all is: have you/do you train a style that has unusual movements (whether its footwork, punches, throws, etc) that maybe make you question their merit simply because they seem too bizarre? On top of that, have any of you found those weird techniques to be effective at one point or another? I've learned through soccer that it's better to be prepared for those weird moments than not. :p

Hello...

When I started the study of martial arts ALL of the movements were "uncomfortable" and awkward. As I practiced them, continuously, they became less so. I got to the point I could apply techniques I thought I could never, or would never, use.

I think if you have the desire and ability to practice any movement over and over again, no matter how awkward, it can become an efficient and effective technique. Some people are best wired for this type of study. They find value in what others see as "impractical". Effeciency is in the eyes of the beholder, in some cases. What I cannot make work, someone else will come along and show me I was mistaken. Well, I was not REALLY wrong... "I" could not make it work. :)

Sounds like what you are practicing is working for you. Awkward, "impractical", or whatever... Keep up the good work!

Thank you,
Milt G.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It sounds like you're not referring to movements feeling odd as you learn them. You're talking about deliberately cultivating movements that seem odd, in the hopes of taking your opponents off guard.

My gut feeling is that over-reliance on "tricks" is a mistake. Success usually comes from adept implementation of basics. Not from implementing lots of advanced moves, whether they be odd or not.

Stuart

OP
Wey

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, Milt G!

ap Oweyn,

What I initially had in mind in question are the low stances and movements from various Kung Fu styles. I agree that basics are primarily what one should focus on, but I feel those weird "moves" also have their place, it may not be often, but at one point or another they will be useful. Not that I try to find weird approaches for accomplishing the same goal, but sometimes it just happens. =]

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, Milt G!

ap Oweyn,

What I initially had in mind in question are the low stances and movements from various Kung Fu styles. I agree that basics are primarily what one should focus on, but I feel those weird "moves" also have their place, it may not be often, but at one point or another they will be useful. Not that I try to find weird approaches for accomplishing the same goal, but sometimes it just happens. =]

Ah, I gotcha.

Meh. I don't know. We have no real guarantee that a situation will arise where odder movements will work. Or, rather, situations that wouldn't have been as well (or better) addressed by something more fundamental.

But that's a personal thing, I guess. To my mind, there's a temptation to want to uncover some special move that holds the key to success. I think it's a bit of a golden fleece that detracts from the obvious notion that perfection of basics is paramount.

No disrespect intended.

Stuart

OP
Wey

Wey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ah, I gotcha.

Meh. I don't know. We have no real guarantee that a situation will arise where odder movements will work. Or, rather, situations that wouldn't have been as well (or better) addressed by something more fundamental.

But that's a personal thing, I guess. To my mind, there's a temptation to want to uncover some special move that holds the key to success. I think it's a bit of a golden fleece that detracts from the obvious notion that perfection of basics is paramount.

No disrespect intended.

Stuart

No disrespect taken. Thanks for your input.

Latest Discussions