Nunchaku Video

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Saw this on YouTube. Although it may make some traditionalists a little squeemish, I still thought it looked pretty cool!

yep, I gota say it is not that impresive to me. I do have to admit I do not like the nunchuku as a weapon really... and that is when its trained with and used properly.. this was just sad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I will keep to traditional methods that have a lot more basis. Though flashy and pleasing to the eye its just not my thing.

OP
Monadnock

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree that there has to remain a level or practicality, but at the same time there is something to be said for having that level of dexterity.

I don't think it would be as easy to run the same combinations with a heavy pair of wooden nunchaku, but some of that motion may work.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree that there has to remain a level or practicality, but at the same time there is something to be said for having that level of dexterity.

I don't think it would be as easy to run the same combinations with a heavy pair of wooden nunchaku, but some of that motion may work.
but what he is showing is much more flash than budo because of the approach. There are plenty of kobudo masters that could do the very same thing with heavy nunchaku.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
sorry, i can't get into that stuff. The chucks he was using looked like toys and I can't respect an adult who plays with toy weapons. At least have the self respect to use realistic, heavy weaponry.

I couldn't stop thinking that one sweep with a long staff would send his pretty nunchakus clattering all over the room. There is absolutely ZERO application in what he was doing. It was pure show, regardless of the dexterity involved.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whenever I see people beating their backs and ribs with nunchaku, I think of those old PBS documentaries I watched as a kid showing people praying while beating their backs with whips, causing bloody lashes to appear on their backs.
Bottom line for flashy nunchaku: why are you beating yourself?

AoG

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will keep to traditional methods that have a lot more basis. Though flashy and pleasing to the eye its just not my thing.

We have a phrase in my class we use call "needless gamer spinning" for excessive unnecessary movement of a weapon.

One day after a class we were discussing two people choosing weapons from a table and which person may seem more intimidating. The first person picks up a weapon and spins it all over the place and does a bunch of fancy looking stuff. The second person picks up a weapon, looks at it, feels its weight and balance and says, "This will do."

Thanks Mr. Fisher, for those videos.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Your very welcome. I will try to film the one I do from Shoshin Nagamine its a bit different more swining strikes but pure power.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you for these videos brandon. I've been looking for good examples of traditional nunchaku kata in order to see what it is actually like. I like the basic simplicity of the technique and the lack of uberflash.

I'll second that thought. This is something I can respect

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you for these videos brandon. I've been looking for good examples of traditional nunchaku kata in order to see what it is actually like. I like the basic simplicity of the technique and the lack of uberflash.

yep people who know how to use a weapon are not interested in flash, just getting the job done efficently so they survive the encounter.

I do not particulerly like the nunchuku, I think it is the least effective and efficent of the kobudo/kobujitsu weapons, but it can be effective if used properly and with a lot of skill.... just wount be as good a weapon as most of the others I think.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of the things that I like about the traditional kobudo weapons is that they go through such a range of implements that if you need to improvise a weapon, you have a pretty good idea of how to use it effectively. The nunchaku is basically a flail. Think about all of the objects that could qualify.

I have nothing against your analysis. In fact, I find myself agreeing. However, I think you can find some use in learning it.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally enjoy the nunchaku however I agree is not the most verstitle weapon in the arsenal. However there are several grappling techniques that can be used with it against some other weapons and against a empty hand attack.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the things that I like about the traditional kobudo weapons is that they go through such a range of implements that if you need to improvise a weapon, you have a pretty good idea of how to use it effectively. The nunchaku is basically a flail. Think about all of the objects that could qualify.

I have nothing against your analysis. In fact, I find myself agreeing. However, I think you can find some use in learning it.

oh I know how to use the weapon some. Just do not like the weapon. I prefer the bo and kama and eku and tekko and sai to it ..

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I personally enjoy the nunchaku however I agree is not the most verstitle weapon in the arsenal. However there are several grappling techniques that can be used with it against some other weapons and against a empty hand attack.

true... I just prefer the other weapons in genreal....