Noob Question

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am still kind of new here so I apologize if my question is a rather strange one.
Last night, they were telling us to get into the "sitting stance". He then gave us the Korean name. I have looked everywhere and the stance that we were doing is called the Horse stance. Are variations like this bad?

I have only been able to attend 3 classes thus far but feel that I am picking it up rather quickly.

The website for the Dojang is http://www.blacksmartialarts.com

thanks!!

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have heard horse stance referred to as sitting stance. I wouldn't worry overly much, there is a fair degree of variation in terminology from school to school and association to association.

Peace,
Erik

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many schools and instructor will have a different name for the same stance. Whatever the name it is the practice and use of the stance that counts not the name in and of itslef

OP
mcleod13

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks!! I was just a little curious. I am new to Tae Kwon Do and I am trying to understand as much as possible. I am still having trouble with the whole WTF and Kukkiwon situation.

I find law school is easier than trying to learn all of this.

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We call that a horseriding stance, so sitting stance isn't that far off. I probably am not spelling it correctly, but the Korean term is kima jahsee

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We call it a sitting stance as well and it is described to be beginners as "just like you are sitting on a horse".

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks!! I was just a little curious. I am new to Tae Kwon Do and I am trying to understand as much as possible. I am still having trouble with the whole WTF and Kukkiwon situation.

I find law school is easier than trying to learn all of this.

McL—do not, repeat, do NOT worry about 'the whole WTF and KKW situation'. Focus only on what's going on in your school, and learn what they're trying to teach you. As long as your school is helping you reach your personal MA goals, that's all that counts.

As time goes on and your understanding of the MAs in general broadens, you may find that you need something more, or something different, from what you've gotten so far from your school, but that's a possibility you definitely don't need to worry about at this point. If you're happy doing what you're doing, that's what matters. It's much more important to understand how to properly chamber and deliver a turning kick in good balance than it is to figure out just what the relationship between the KKW and the WTF is, or anything like that.

OP
mcleod13

mcleod13

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We call it a sitting stance as well and it is described to be beginners as "just like you are sitting on a horse".

THat is how it was described to us too. I was trying to figure out what the sitting stance was called in Korean.

As far as trying to figure out the whole Kukkiwon, WTF, or ITF situation. I meant trying to determine which is geared towards self defense. That is what I am really wanting.

When we are in class, they will tell us, "Don't use this in a tournament because it will get you into trouble." I want to be a prosecutor so I want to be able to defend myself....

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want to be a prosecutor so I want to be able to defend myself....

It's not a bad idea to mention to your instructors that you're less interested in tournament competition than you are in personal self-defense—a lot of TKDists on MT share that take on the material. I suspect that at least some instructors would like to be able to work on SD stuff with their students but are discouraged from doing so by the fact that many people who take TKD don't really envisage themselves in a survival fight situation and get uncomfortable with the idea that they might have to defend themselves by intensely violent means in order to walk out of a violent situation. If you let your teachers know that you're very much open to training for that kind of application, you may find that you're exposed more to just that sort of material.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am still kind of new here so I apologize if my question is a rather strange one.
Last night, they were telling us to get into the "sitting stance". He then gave us the Korean name. I have looked everywhere and the stance that we were doing is called the Horse stance.

Sitting stance is the official ITF terminology used for what's commonly referred to as a horseback stance and has been since at least the early 1970s if not before. FWIW, sitting stance was also used when I was training at a WTF club when I was in college. Don't know if it's official WTF terminology, though.

Regardless, saying that you've "looked everywhere and the stance [you] weredoing is called a Horse stane" isn't necessarily correct. It's not called a horse stance by everyone ;)

Are variations like this bad?

Bad? Depends on how unified you want Taekwon-Do to be. Annoying? Sometimes! Try telling someone to do a turning kick when al they've ever heard was roundhouse kick and see what happens :)

Pax,

Chris

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
lol chris. i agree with you on this one. when i post stuff on forums i dont even dare to put "turning kick". i just put "roundhouse", although in Singapore we call it "turning kick". I overheard an instructor (i was watching a local tournament and walking around during the lunch break watching people train) saying theres a difference between roundhouse and turning. althugh i dont know specifically what is the difference. -.- im thiking theres no difference.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One could probably to every TKD school in town & hear the same technique called something slightly different.

I've trained in several schools in my time in TKD. My poor students, they are abt to hear me call it a high block, face block, or sometimes rising block, at any given moment. The question, "sir, do you mean...." comes up often. I keep telling them I'll teach them Korean term, just they can understand me.:ultracool

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sitting stance is the terminology commonly used in Ch'ang H'on classes (ITF, ITF affiliates, ex-ITF); I have heard it compared to sitting on a horse and know that horse-stance is a comparable name used in other classes - but living in Denver, I've also heard it described as "snow-plowing" (a skiing term).

At your level, I wouldn't let the national and international organizations and situations bother you. If you like what you're learning and who is teaching it to you, then I think you're fine wherever you are.

Carley

White Belt
Reaction score
We just call that a horse stance, or 'kima sogi'. As said, it's just like sitting on a horse ^-^

At my dojang, we don't bend down as far as most other MAs I've seen, for example, my sister in Karate, they bend down almost to the point where their legs make a sharp right angle o_O

Latest Discussions