No sport side

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Talking about the no sport side of TKD, what are the techs you use the most, I am talking about the technikes suitable for the streets not the tournaments.

Everry time I use a block I try to damage using my block as a strike too, for example blocking a punch I use my forearm bones to cause pain when impacting the hand,wrist or forarm of my oponent. Another tecnike I like to use is the low kick no matter for distract or lower the guard or as an opening for the following tech. I love to use my elbows as a striking tools and also like to use joint manipulation to inflict pain and or to put down the bad guy.

Talking about incoming kicks I use deviation instead of blocking them, the arm bones are not to strong to absorve a nasty kick for that matter I like to deviate or change the direction of the kick closing the gap beetwen me and the bad guy.

TKD has plenty of technikes that are better to use than the roundhouse kick.

Manny

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Take a look at "Wing Chun", their striking techniques are both offensive and defensive at the same time as well as being designed more to deflect rather than to block outright.

hungryninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would probably use front kicks/round kicks, knees, punches, elbow strikes, hammerfists, palm heels. For blocking...outside blocks for outer attacks...for inner attacks, I would more likely redirect. I would counter at the same time as a block/redirect. Of course, there are a lot of unknown factors that could change this.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
1. 5 tenets. Prevent when possible.
2. Run away. I practice this often before class and team so I can run fast and far. It's a skill one must practice to keep sharp! Avoid when you can't prevent.
2. Move to hit what's open (nearest weapon to nearest target). I agree with the idea of block as attack, but I prefer move to hit. If I can make you miss or deflect while I'm moving to hit neck, eyes, knee, groin, etc., it will have more effect sooner. I would like to hit and disengage so I can get back to plan #1. Prevail when you must.

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I always find it important to create distance, so push kicks come in very handy. Otherwise, spinning back kicks are always my favorite because the kick is hard to deal with if you are not a trained professional.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Otherwise, spinning back kicks are always my favorite because the kick is hard to deal with if you are not a trained professional.

Totally agree with above statement! I train a lot with my knees and elbows, my instructor spent a good few years learning muay thai so he teaches us a little of that too. Also low kicks, turning kicks to the back of the knee, side kicks to the front of the knee, front kicks to the groin or stomach depending on what effect i want. I too use my guard as a strike, i also try to simultaneously strike while guarding, depends on the situation though. A couple of times i've managed to prevent an all out physical altercation just by blocking a punch hard, it's an underrated skill in my opinion.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
... A couple of times i've managed to prevent an all out physical altercation just by blocking a punch hard, it's an underrated skill in my opinion.

Quite so! I remember when I first began learning three step sparring, how much my wrists and forearms hurt until I got used to it. Those who aren't can easily get discouraged quickly.

I think the better kicks are low kicks. They are fast and therefore harder to defend, not to mention they aren't usually expected. The only spinning back kick I like from Hapkido is one that attacks an ankle. Done properly it is surprisingly fast and unexpected. Hard to continue a fight with a broken ankle.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talking about the no sport side of TKD, what are the techs you use the most, I am talking about the technikes suitable for the streets not the tournaments.

Everry time I use a block I try to damage using my block as a strike too, for example blocking a punch I use my forearm bones to cause pain when impacting the hand,wrist or forarm of my oponent. Another tecnike I like to use is the low kick no matter for distract or lower the guard or as an opening for the following tech. I love to use my elbows as a striking tools and also like to use joint manipulation to inflict pain and or to put down the bad guy.

Talking about incoming kicks I use deviation instead of blocking them, the arm bones are not to strong to absorve a nasty kick for that matter I like to deviate or change the direction of the kick closing the gap beetwen me and the bad guy.

TKD has plenty of technikes that are better to use than the roundhouse kick.

Manny

From a SD perspective, it is good to take a look at one's training to discover it's strengths and weaknesses. Taking TKD as an example;

Range attack - typical arms length distance. TKD has numerous strikes and kicks to deal with a range attack. Some are better than others. Keeping in mind that during a physical altercation our blood pressure, pulse and respiration go up, often dramatically, it is important to realize that refined motor skills will likely be unusable. Gross motor skills are easier to learn, retainable in long term memory and have a higher % of success as opposed to more refined, acrobatic or fancy movements. Always keeping in mind that training in a Dojang environment (loose clothing, controlled environment, warmed up, stretched out etc) will differ from a typical realworld 'attack'. In such a case, you may be at the beach in shorts and flip-flops. You may be in a dress with high heels or tight jeans and sneakers. You may be in an elevator, between parked cars, sloping surface, on grass, in a hallway etc. Will your range defense serve you in such an environment? If not, you need to train for something that will serve you.

Grappling attack - Will your TKD allow you do defend yourself when a determined attacker is nose-to-nose with you? Some may say that they'd never allow someone to get that close. But that is easier said than done, particularly if there are multiple attackers. Is someone does get in on you, do you have TKD techniques designed to deal with the attack? I like to train someone to be able to fight inside of a phone booth, literally. At this range we're looking at elbows and knee spikes (CQ versions rather than the 'martial-arty' type). Does your TKD teach this? Will it allow you to go directly into a throw, choke or lock (if appropriate to the situation and necessary)?

Ground attack - Will your TKD allow you to fight if taken to the ground? I'm not talking MMA style ground-fighting, that is sport. I'm talking down-and-dirty-get-back-on-your-feet-right-now style ground fighting. Submissions are for sport. They waste valuable time in a real world altercation and allow all sorts of bad things to happen i.e. attacker has/gains a weapon or has friends that jump in while you're on the ground.

Control techniques - Does your TKD have control techniques? Not every altercation requires you to gouge an eye or blow out someone's knee. I often give the example of your drunk uncle Bob at the family BBQ getting stupid. Are you going to wade into him with Dim Mak death blows or does your TKD provide you with some control techniques for a semi-compliant individual that we don't really want to bleed all over grandma's homemade potato salad.

Does you TKD provide you with training in de-esculation? Avoidance, escape or evasion? Improvised weapons use? Cover and/or concealment? Training in street clothes in real world environments outside the Dojang?

If not, and your purpose for training is SD (or at least is a strong consideration in the overall training plan) perhaps you need to seek out some cross-training into something that does...

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
From a SD perspective, it is good to take a look at one's training to discover it's strengths and weaknesses. Taking TKD as an example;

Range attack - typical arms length distance. TKD has numerous strikes and kicks to deal with a range attack. Some are better than others. Keeping in mind that during a physical altercation our blood pressure, pulse and respiration go up, often dramatically, it is important to realize that refined motor skills will likely be unusable. Gross motor skills are easier to learn, retainable in long term memory and have a higher % of success as opposed to more refined, acrobatic or fancy movements. Always keeping in mind that training in a Dojang environment (loose clothing, controlled environment, warmed up, stretched out etc) will differ from a typical realworld 'attack'. In such a case, you may be at the beach in shorts and flip-flops. You may be in a dress with high heels or tight jeans and sneakers. You may be in an elevator, between parked cars, sloping surface, on grass, in a hallway etc. Will your range defense serve you in such an environment? If not, you need to train for something that will serve you.

Grappling attack - Will your TKD allow you do defend yourself when a determined attacker is nose-to-nose with you? Some may say that they'd never allow someone to get that close. But that is easier said than done, particularly if there are multiple attackers. Is someone does get in on you, do you have TKD techniques designed to deal with the attack? I like to train someone to be able to fight inside of a phone booth, literally. At this range we're looking at elbows and knee spikes (CQ versions rather than the 'martial-arty' type). Does your TKD teach this? Will it allow you to go directly into a throw, choke or lock (if appropriate to the situation and necessary)?

Ground attack - Will your TKD allow you to fight if taken to the ground? I'm not talking MMA style ground-fighting, that is sport. I'm talking down-and-dirty-get-back-on-your-feet-right-now style ground fighting. Submissions are for sport. They waste valuable time in a real world altercation and allow all sorts of bad things to happen i.e. attacker has/gains a weapon or has friends that jump in while you're on the ground.

Control techniques - Does your TKD have control techniques? Not every altercation requires you to gouge an eye or blow out someone's knee. I often give the example of your drunk uncle Bob at the family BBQ getting stupid. Are you going to wade into him with Dim Mak death blows or does your TKD provide you with some control techniques for a semi-compliant individual that we don't really want to bleed all over grandma's homemade potato salad.

Does you TKD provide you with training in de-esculation? Avoidance, escape or evasion? Improvised weapons use? Cover and/or concealment? Training in street clothes in real world environments outside the Dojang?

If not, and your purpose for training is SD (or at least is a strong consideration in the overall training plan) perhaps you need to seek out some cross-training into something that does...

Nice reply and I agree with you. The TKD that my dojang teaches concentrates on sporty techs, the times (few) sambonim teach self defense he covers: Range atack and some control techs, however grapplin and ground atack is absent.

I focus my self defense in renage atack,control tecnike and some grapling atack and cero ground atack.

Manny

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My go-to techniques have changed over time. I'm no longer particularly fast or flexible and don't have great range. I do have a very good jaw and hit hard. Based on my strengths, I prefer crowding and my favorite techniques remain a straight punch, elbows and low kicks. I've also began incorporating joint locks more. Where as I used to consider them kind of a gimmick, I've recognized a real value in their capabilities as a finisher.

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Train your TKD in close,and with grapplers,and you'll not only pick up their arsenal you will find unique tactical ways to apply your TKD.Like one of the main mottos in my Gym says:"IT'S NOT JUST WHAT YOU KNOW,IT'S HOW YOU TRAIN".

I kick and knee the holy crap out of my opponents,even from the guard or in a nose to nose situation. The combination kicking arsenal of tkd combined with rapid stance changes even from off of your back give you a unique platform to empower your guard-work with.When a kicker does an upkick or uses the kicks you away from his guard,it's a totally different sensation than when a grappler does the same.When standing,I apply a volley of hand,palm,elbow,forearm,knees,head butts,etc. combined with attacking blocks (forearm smashes) grabs,pushes,pulls,jerks combined with lightning stance changes,stomps and kicks as sweeps,trips and leg blocks dumping your attacker to the ground or launching him in the air (the low front,side,hook,axe and crescent kicks are especially good for this. I mean I LAUNCH people with these techs.I have a video of me doing this coming up to my youtube in a few weeks) and the like to effect a very unorthodox but highly effective blitzkrieg of TKD techs that swarm guys on the ground or in the clinch. These techs are much more effective vs grapplers if you've cross trained with and train in grappling of some effective variety yourself.

thelegendxp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
just because of the direction this thread is shifting, conditioning is VERY important, especially in no sports side. With no equipment, bone strength becomes very important, and without enough conditioning fights will end in literally 3 seconds. One roundhouse to the body, and if the opponent is not conditioned properly, even a block will knock him right out

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
just because of the direction this thread is shifting, conditioning is VERY important, especially in no sports side. With no equipment, bone strength becomes very important, and without enough conditioning fights will end in literally 3 seconds. One roundhouse to the body, and if the opponent is not conditioned properly, even a block will knock him right out
Indeed.

A few days ago, i knocked someone to the ground by Instep (Roundhouse) Kicking his Guard. It was a Strong Guard, and he has a Conditioned Body. It still took him down. Completely uninjured, but the same Physical Force VS Someone Who Hasnt Conditioned Their Forearms To Take That Kind Of Force = ...