No more Olympics!

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So does it bother anyone that Karate is no longer a Olympic sport but golf is? And does anyone other than the U.S. have a chance of winning a Gold in golf when we've got Tiger Woods?

OP
INDYFIGHTER

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Karate was not an Olympic sport. Golf's a great sport, doesn't matter that we dominate, we do in softball too.

It wasn't???

From MSNBC Sports:

"Golf and rugby were put forward by the executive board in August under Rogge’s guidance, at the expense of five other sports that were cut — baseball, softball, squash, karate and roller sports."

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It does not bother me at all, and Karate was never an Olympic sport.

A couple of arts that I've been involved in have made, or at least discussed making, bids for the Olympics. I remain steadfast in the hope that they are never successful, even tho some people who I know and have a lot of respect for are involved in the push for the Olympics.

Golf is a sport. It's always been a sport. It's easy to make a sport into an Olympic event. You just play the game as it's always been played, but you do it against international teams and within the context of the Olympics. The sport itself doesn't change for it.

Martial arts were not originally sports, altho they can have a sporting aspect to them and some arts focus on that aspect more than others. By going down the sporting road, that can become the primary focus in training the art, and the art itself gets changed to accomodate competition and Olympic needs. The non-sporting, non-competition aspects of the art can get neglected and overall quality of the art suffers. More people jump on the competition/Olympic bandwagon, and fewer people are teaching and practicing quality martial arts that are aimed at self defense or the preservation of the original combative methods. Since these are my own interests, and I have no interest in competition and the Olympics, I remain opposed to more martial arts getting sucked into a venue such as the Olympics. Just dig thru the many threads discussing Tae Kwon Do, and note the arguments over Olympic, vs. Older self-defense tae kwon do, and I think you'll note what I am talking about. Not everyone is happy about what happens to an art when it becomes part of the Olympics, and I believe there are extremely valid reasons for the disagreements.

I don't play golf, and I don't care what happens to golf, so I don't mind it being part of the Olympics, in addition to the fact that I don't believe the Olympics harms the game of golf anyway.

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
full contact karate should be in the olympics , why not when its something that is done all around the world :toilclaw:

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
It wasn't???

From MSNBC Sports:

"Golf and rugby were put forward by the executive board in August under Rogge’s guidance, at the expense of five other sports that were cut — baseball, softball, squash, karate and roller sports."
They've been lobbying to get Karate into the Olympics for years. It's never gotten the necessary votes to actually get in. I'd assume that they were talking about events that were under consideration by the IOC, not actually dropping sports that were already in.

Even if Karate got in, it'd be relegated to the no man's land that TKD and Judo currently enjoy. They may be Olympic sports, but nobody ever sees the events.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
It wasn't???

From MSNBC Sports:

Whoever wrote that at NBC did not do their homework. Baseball and Softball were cut for the Olympics. Not sure about squash or roller sports (whatever that is), but Karate was never an Olympic Sport. They may have meant to say Judo as I think they were at one time debating if Judo should be drop or not. Not sure what the outcome was though.

tallgeese

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think it's be too close to TKD. Not a heck of a lot of difference to generate new interest.

For ma fans, we'd be better off getting BJJ. then you've got boxing and TKD for different flavors of striking, and Judo and wrestling for the takedown and controlling aspects of the ground, and BJJ for submissions and such. There's enough difference in the way the former three are played that'd it be distinct enough.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
LOL I could not care less if there is never another Olympics held. there is and has been way to much of politics in them since 1938 and perhaps some what before that.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its only my opinion but I dont believe a sport should be included in the olympics unless olympic gold is the pinnacle of that sport. For that reason I have no problems with track and field , swimming etc but I dont think tennis, golf etc should be included.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It does not bother me at all, and Karate was never an Olympic sport.

A couple of arts that I've been involved in have made, or at least discussed making, bids for the Olympics. I remain steadfast in the hope that they are never successful, even tho some people who I know and have a lot of respect for are involved in the push for the Olympics.

Golf is a sport. It's always been a sport. It's easy to make a sport into an Olympic event. You just play the game as it's always been played, but you do it against international teams and within the context of the Olympics. The sport itself doesn't change for it.

Martial arts were not originally sports, altho they can have a sporting aspect to them and some arts focus on that aspect more than others. By going down the sporting road, that can become the primary focus in training the art, and the art itself gets changed to accomodate competition and Olympic needs. The non-sporting, non-competition aspects of the art can get neglected and overall quality of the art suffers. More people jump on the competition/Olympic bandwagon, and fewer people are teaching and practicing quality martial arts that are aimed at self defense or the preservation of the original combative methods. Since these are my own interests, and I have no interest in competition and the Olympics, I remain opposed to more martial arts getting sucked into a venue such as the Olympics. Just dig thru the many threads discussing Tae Kwon Do, and note the arguments over Olympic, vs. Older self-defense tae kwon do, and I think you'll note what I am talking about. Not everyone is happy about what happens to an art when it becomes part of the Olympics, and I believe there are extremely valid reasons for the disagreements.

I don't play golf, and I don't care what happens to golf, so I don't mind it being part of the Olympics, in addition to the fact that I don't believe the Olympics harms the game of golf anyway.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Literally point for point.

But you missed one. I miss the days when the Olympics were for amateur athletes. Pros have no business there. But the US lobbied to get them in because our pride was being hurt. Doesn`t mean they belong there though.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So does it bother anyone that Karate is no longer a Olympic sport but golf is? And does anyone other than the U.S. have a chance of winning a Gold in golf when we've got Tiger Woods?
I have always considered golf a game, not a sport, and I do not care what the IOC or golf promoters say. I do not say that to slam golf: Ballet and other forms of dance are very physically demanding (no, I do not consider figure skating a sport either), perhaps more so than some sports, but that does not make ballet a sport.

And no, it does not bother me that Karate is excluded; quite the opposite. The olympics are the biggest sham of corruption and nationalistic favor trading in existence. The olympics are all about money and nationalism. Sports are a byproduct.

For the sake of Karate, I hope that it remains off the roster. Same for my beloved kendo. Olympic inclusion has already damaged fencing and taekwondo.

Yes, I respect the athletes. In the case of golf, I respect the players. But no, I have little regard (well, no regard to be honest) for the IOC or the olympics. I do not watch WWF/WWE or whatever they are calling it because it fixed. Why then would I watch the olympics? While the athletes themselves are (hopefully) not taking dives or being paid off, the judging is most certainly suspect, and that is being kind. Essentially, the Olympics are fixed via the judges.

To those who feel differently, I mean you no disrespect, and if you have personal olympic aspirations, should Karate ever make the cut, I hope that you attain them and wish you the best, the same as I do for Taekwondoists with olympic aspirations. But that does not change my opinion of the olympics.

Daniel

Latest Discussions