Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nipple Rings Cause Airport Security Issue
clear.gif

Author: AP Source: MSNBC
clear.gif

Title: NIPPLE RINGS CAUSE AIRPORT SECURITY ISSUE

A Texas woman who said she was forced to remove a nipple ring with pliers in order to board an airplane called Thursday for an apology by federal security agents and a civil rights investigation.

"I wouldn't wish this experience upon anyone," Mandi Hamlin said at a news conference. "My experience with TSA was a nightmare I had to endure. No one deserves to be treated this way."

Hamlin, 37, said she was trying to board a flight from Lubbock to Dallas on Feb. 24 when she was scanned by a Transportation Security Administration agent after passing through a larger metal detector without problems.

The female TSA agent used a handheld detector that beeped when it passed in front of Hamlin's chest, the Dallas-area resident said.

Hamlin said she told the woman she was wearing nipple piercings. The agent then called over her male colleagues, one of whom said she would have to remove the jewelry, Hamlin said.
Options: [Read Full Story]
Source: http://www.witchvox.com/wren/wn_detail.html?id=19528

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That TSA worker needs to either be fired or retrained, because IMHO, there was no reason to make this woman do what she did. At the most, going into a private area to show the worker, and using a hand held detector would have been fine.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a direct consequence of the over-inflated, fear-based, legislation that America has allowed herself to be made subject to.

It has been seen over and again throughout history that if government puts powers in the hands of 'little men' then those men will eventually come to abuse it because they have the authority to do so.

Without wanting to turn this issue into a beacon and be a 'drama queen' about it, of such small incursions into personal freedom are police states made. Just ask the Germans or Russians.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Heh, that brings to mind of several people that I know personally who have piercings umm, a little further south of the belly button. Would the Security have them remove them? Sheesh.
Getting a bit much. How are nipple rings gonna be used to take over an airplane? Shock value?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I reviewed their PDF file on allowable items and they have guideline on body piercings whatsoever. I'm sorry - the insistence that the item be removed (in front of male security no less) was completely out of line.

I think she should ask for more than an apology. I think she should ask for damages.

I'm sure we have some folks here with body piercings - do you guys remove your jewelry before going through security?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This was by far the biggest outrage down here, the people involved should be fired plan and simple.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I refuse to fly because of the continued incompetence shown by the airlines and so called airport security. I refuse to subject myself to their scruitiny, nor risk my property in their bagage mishandling system (which still allows dangerous items through, and doesn't safeguard my privacy nor property).

And, no. I wouldn't remove my piercings. In fact, I don't, ever.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a direct consequence of the over-inflated, fear-based, legislation that America has allowed herself to be made subject to.

It has been seen over and again throughout history that if government puts powers in the hands of 'little men' then those men will eventually come to abuse it because they have the authority to do so.

Without wanting to turn this issue into a beacon and be a 'drama queen' about it, of such small incursions into personal freedom are police states made. Just ask the Germans or Russians.

There was a time in the US when the only Federal organ with police powers was the Marshal Service, but since about the mid seventies more and more federal agencies have acquired them. It is never wise to give the petit bureaucrat any real power at all becaue he will abuse it, and it looks like the TSA is a prime example of this.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't remember how the TSA regs are written. I know the traveler has the right to ask for a security screener of the same gender. I don't know if it is required that the screener must be of the same gender.

When I last flew at Christmas I had to go through the full screening by TSA for all 4 legs of my trip because my ID was expired (3.5 weeks out of date). Each time there was a call for a female screener.........except for the final leg of my trip going home...when the very tired looking female screener looked at me, looked at why I was flagged, then motioned me through the gate mouthing "Just go...go..." :lol2:

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I doubt it. Remember, we are only hearing ONE SIDE of the story, and that side's proponent has a flashy (Allred) attorney and is suing for millions...

In my (admittedly limited) experience with law enforcement, the less reasonable the suspect, the less reasonable the LEO's...

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I refuse to fly because of the continued incompetence shown by the airlines and so called airport security. I refuse to subject myself to their scruitiny, nor risk my property in their bagage mishandling system (which still allows dangerous items through, and doesn't safeguard my privacy nor property).
Exactly how I feel.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I doubt it. Remember, we are only hearing ONE SIDE of the story, and that side's proponent has a flashy (Allred) attorney and is suing for millions...

In my (admittedly limited) experience with law enforcement, the less reasonable the suspect, the less reasonable the LEO's...

Yeah, except TSA are hardly "law enforcement"......the vast majority of them aren't even former or retired "law enforcement." In fact, the DHS nickname for security screeners (as well as quite a few other people) and their methods is "revenge of the "C" students."

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
In fact, the DHS nickname for security screeners (as well as quite a few other people) and their methods is "revenge of the "C" students."
I thought that was the nickname for DHS? Just kidding. Anyone who works there, it was a joke. ;)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bruce Schneier talks much about "Security Theater". This is security theater at its finest. It doesn't decrease any real risks. It makes people think something is being done. It keeps the huddled masses in a state of constant low grade anxiety.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

To your first - really? So they should and I hope they get it. I'm sorry Don but on this we are not going to agree. In fact you shouldn't even agree with yourself on such a breach of personal dignity, let alone the much vaunted but in reality little defended rights of the American individual.

On the latter, yes, that is true. On what do you base your reaction to the person at the centre of this farrago?

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
What?

Who the bloody.....

What the bloody.......

WHY the bloody........What did they think, she'd pull the ring off and there'd be a 5 second boob grenade fuse or something??!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!

The anatomy in question to which the ring was attached is by no means the boob in this story, I'll tell you what.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To your first - really? So they should and I hope they get it. I'm sorry Don but on this we are not going to agree. In fact you shouldn't even agree with yourself on such a breach of personal dignity, let alone the much vaunted but in reality little defended rights of the American individual.

On the latter, yes, that is true. On what do you base your reaction to the person at the centre of this farrago?
I'll bet, when we finally get the whole story, (the video, etc) we will see Hamlin was belligerent from the start.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe they thought she was a FemBot?

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll bet, when we finally get the whole story, (the video, etc) we will see Hamlin was belligerent from the start.
It doesn't matter. It would have no bearing on this. None.

What?

Who the bloody.....

What the bloody.......
Its what has happened to the country that you once knew. The country that is now gone.

I refuse to fly because of the continued incompetence shown by the airlines and so called airport security.
Thankfully you don't have a job that requires you to fly! This type of thing is certainly going to fuel an increase in private air travel, for the people who can afford it.

And, no. I wouldn't remove my piercings. In fact, I don't, ever.

But in the future, those who DO plan on using airplanes may end up wearing the shock bracelet:

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/03/20/air-safety-proposal.html

Haha -- I admit, THAT is funny.

I'm embarrassed that my countrymen would put up with this. I also bemoan the loss of what I consider to be a good country (I've seen better days).

If we can JUST hold on... if we can just not withstand a timely "terrorist attack" that would derail the election process. If we can JUST not vote Republican this one time... Hold on... we are going under. I can feel it. We have to turn off this fear machine. Turn off the "borrow and spend" for a blank check war. I truly do feel that as was said on this board before, I would start taking wagers that the US will not survive as an entity for too much longer.

Latest Discussions