ninja fiction

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does anyone out there know of any good ninja fiction books?

I'm not looking for things where ninja use magic or have super powers, I'm hoping to find something a little more grounded in realism. I remember reading Tulku by Stephen Hayes and that was not too bad, but when it comes to accurate depictions of ninja in fiction (or anything for that matter) I find the material to be a bit lacking.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey man, you should see Hayes AWESOME ninja movie "Ninja Vengeance"

LOLZ.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
One word... Naruto :D

I'm sorry, but good luck trying to find any fiction depicting "real life" type ninja.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
There's one that was OK, can't remember the title, let me do some digging and I'll get back to you.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah. Hayes only makes a brief appearance in it as himself... its about one of his students.

Main Ninja dude explains the "Elemental aspects of the ninja" by doing stuff like rubbing some dirt on his tshirt to get in touch with the earth and crap. *rolls eyes*

OP
Aiki Lee

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah. Hayes only makes a brief appearance in it as himself... its about one of his students.

Main Ninja dude explains the "Elemental aspects of the ninja" by doing stuff like rubbing some dirt on his tshirt to get in touch with the earth and crap. *rolls eyes*

ROTFL! NO freakin' way! Why'd he make a movie like that, he of all people should know that kind of nonsense is something that should be avoided in film.

Does he put his ear in the sink to hear the whispers of the water?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
ROTFL! NO freakin' way! Why'd he make a movie like that, he of all people should know that kind of nonsense is something that should be avoided in film.

Because the sheople don't want realism. They want explosions, high kicks and mystical powers. Only very rarely does realism in a movie have success. And those are not the movies that would appeal to the ninjer crowd that the movie would have to be sold to.

So if I were a producer, I'd demand whizz bang in my movie before I'd finance it. I might allow you to hold back on the ki fire balls, but you'd better have some shurikens, mysticism and high kicks in the story or it won't get made.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Some clips.

Warning, Language

Last edited by a moderator:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
So no mention of Eric Van Lustbadder's book "The Ninja." I really can't recommend it, it's ok, the fight scenes are cool but there's way too much spirital stuff (as an atheist reading that stuff always hits the snooze button on my brain) and there's a couple really really descriptive sex scenes (including man rape!). Now I'm no prude but I'm a fan of the old school Flemming type of writing a love scene where it begins and the scene ends. But anyways, reading "The Ninja" is worth it because the series actually gets better as it goes along.

Albertus

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dear readers, actually there are many titles which are dealing with this subject. I will start with the historical Ninja stories, if you want also titles from other categories just let me know.
1. Katsumi Toda - Shadow of the Ninja (1982)
2. Katsumi Toda - Revenge of the Shoguns Ninja (1984)
3. katsumi Toda - Ninja death vow (1985)
4. Kano Shinichi - Ninja men of Iga (1989)
5. Michael Reaves - Sword of the samurai (1984)
6. Futaro Yamada - The Kouga Ninja scrolls (2006)
7. Dorothy & Thomas Hoobler - In darkness death (2004)
8. Cheryl Aylward Whitesel - Blue fingers, A Ninja's tale (2004)
9. John Thompson - Shadow warriors (2002)
10. Curtis Smith - Test of the Ninja (1985)
Just a few titles to get you started, they are not all of super quality, but it is better than nothing. Hope this will helps.

Happy reading...

OP
Aiki Lee

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do you know where I can find these books, or a review of them?

Albertus

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Most of these books are pretty old allready and probably not available in the normal bookshops. But if you try Abebooks, Ebay or Amazon on the internet, you are likely to find some of them.
Good luck.

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You won't find better than this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ginger-Ninj...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240583502&sr=8-1

Ginger has always been such a happy kitten, and popular too! He loves school, his friends, and playing pawball - life is good for Ginger. But then Tiddles arrives at St Felix School. Tiddles has a serious attitude problem, and he's a bully, too.The whole school is living in fear of him and his gang - and there's only one kitten who can stop his little game. Ginger Ninja to the rescue!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a new movie comming out named "the Ninja" starring Scott Adkins. No, it's not based on Lustbadder's novel of the same name so I don't' know how that's gonna sit with the people in production of eriv Van Lustbadder's "The Ninja."

ninja-poster.jpg

http://www.scottadkins.com/filmography/ninja/

Notice the grammatical error on the poster. "A silent warrior, a deadly past, a eternal mission." Why will people learn, if the next word starts with a vowel or vowel sound you use "an." It's "An eternal mission," just like it's "an apple."