Nicholas Cage names son after Superman

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gin-gin said:
What do y'all think? All things considered, I think I'd rather be named after a comic book hero rather than a fruit like Gwyneth Paltrow's kid (named Apple).
Apple Paltrow?

mantis said:
i wanna name my son pac-man then!
You must want a divorce... I think some judges will grant that on those grounds.

Still could be worse, Cage could've been a fan of Star Wars and named his kid Chewbacca.

OP
Gin-Gin

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shodan said:
How do you pronounce that? :idunno:
If I remember correctly, according to the Christopher Reeve movie, they pronounced it "Cal-el" (like the beginning of the word California with an "L" sound at the end). Don't know how they pronounced it in the comic books; maybe one of you comic book experts out there can tell us? :)

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am curious if they named the kid that specifically after Superman or if the name has some other use or meaning they were going for that we just don't know about....either way....still messing with the kid a bit I think sticking him with that name....no worse than Julia Robert's Phineaus though I guess...

OP
Gin-Gin

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ping898 said:
I am curious if they named the kid that specifically after Superman or if the name has some other use or meaning they were going for that we just don't know about....either way....still messing with the kid a bit I think sticking him with that name....no worse than Julia Robert's Phineaus though I guess...
Oh yeah, I forgot about poor little Phinneas; how much therapy do you think that kid will need? :rofl:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gin-Gin said:
Oh yeah, I forgot about poor little Phinneas; how much therapy do you think that kid will need? :rofl:
Probably the same amount that Dweezle and Moon Unit Zappa did ....

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah- and Two Morrow........Rob Morrow (for those Northern Exposure fans like I am).........yes, he named their daughter Two........... :idunno:

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
in historic times, these names were common, like, Phineas...(julia roberts' kid)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas

as for the superman name, can't vouch for that.

the name only sounds dumb to you, at your point of time. imagine how retarded our "modern" names sound when compared to history. point blank, a different time, a meaning we couldn't possibly understand.

OP
Gin-Gin

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Apple Paltrow?
I don't know if the child has her last name or her husband's, but yes--Apple.
MA-Caver said:
Still could be worse, Cage could've been a fan of Star Wars and named his kid Chewbacca.
:rofl: That poor kid--I can just see it now, "Brush your teeth & go to bed, Chewie!" :roflmao:
Ping898 said:
I am curious if they named the kid that specifically after Superman or if the name has some other use or meaning they were going for that we just don't know about....either way....still messing with the kid a bit I think sticking him with that name.
According to the article, Cage is an avid comic book fan who sold his Superman 1938 issue for over a million dollars & took his stage surname from another comic book figure. But who knows, Kal-el may also be some kind of private joke between him & his wife? :idunno:

Dweezil & Moon Unit Zappa: Yeah, I wonder what happened to those two? I think their names had to do with their father's generation, a 60's thing. My parents were "children of the 60s" too, & I am SO glad my name isn't Siddhartha, Leaf, Rainbow, Sky, or Dharma, etc. because it very well could have been. :ultracool I got teased, but it was minor stuff like "gin & tonic" "gin on the rocks", etc. My dad's friend from college named his daughter Venus. Keep in mind that this was 34 years ago (before there was a tennis star with that name), so you can imagine how she was teased mercilessly for years...tortured with "Venus the penis." Why don't parents think about stuff like that?! :erg: [ok--a tiny rant there, but with good reason]
Shodan said:
Yeah- and Two Morrow........Rob Morrow (for those Northern Exposure fans like I am).........yes, he named their daughter Two...........
Oy! I hope she has a good sense of humor.
Sapper6 said:
in historic times, these names were common, like, Phineas...(julia roberts' kid)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineasas for the superman name, can't vouch for that. the name only sounds dumb to you, at your point of time. imagine how retarded our "modern" names sound when compared to history. point blank, a different time, a meaning we couldn't possibly understand.
That's a good point. I guess it's all perspective.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shodan said:
Yeah- and Two Morrow........Rob Morrow (for those Northern Exposure fans like I am).........yes, he named their daughter Two........... :idunno:
LOL - is that like George Castanza wanting to name a potential future daughter "Seven"? LOLOL

OP
Gin-Gin

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
LOL - is that like George Castanza wanting to name a potential future daughter "Seven"? LOLOL
Yeah, I remember that episode too. :lol:

Shodan, I just tried to send you a PM but it said that your inbox was full & unable to accept any more messages; could you please go through it so that I can send my PM? Thanks! And no, I'm not sending you a "reprimand" PM as a Moderator, it's just a private message between us girls...:)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A friend of mine and his wife, both from Japan and now back there, named their children Atom and Uran after Japanese Cartoon characters that they both liked.

It is not unique to the USA :)

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nicholas Cage was cast to be Superman in "Superman Returns" aka "Superman V", being released in 2006. He was replaced by Brandon Routh, a relative unknown.

The director of the movie is Bryan Singer, director of the first two X-Men films. The studio was impressed with his work on X-Men and felt he could bring a realistic element to the character, much as director Christopher Nolan did for Batman Begins (released on dvd October 18th).

Cage is indeed a big comic book fan. He had been very excited about portraying the best known superhero in the world. Nick was born Nicholas Coppola.

I'm not sure about the screen name "Cage". The only comic book character I know with that last name is Luke Cage, an African-American con-turned-hero. He briefly had his own series but is best known for teaming with Daniel Rand-Kai aka Iron Fist (interestingly one of the world's best martial artists) in the Heroes For Hire title. Luke Cage is currently a member of The New Avengers, a spin-off of one of Marvel Comics longest running titles.

Nick Cage is also already cast as another comic book character, Johnny Blaze aka Ghost Rider. The film called "Ghost Rider" (of course!) will also be released in 2006. It has already finished filming and is in post-production.

As for Superman's given name, yes it is pronounced "Cal-El". Essentially it is a phonetic pronunciation and is prounounced like it looks. Kal is his first name. His parents are Jor-El and Lara Jor-El. His cousin, Supergirl, is Kara Zor-El (depending on which version of Supergirl you are talking about).

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always wanted to name my first born "Gothmog" like in Lord of The Rings.

Did I mention I am divorced now?

LOL!

OP
Gin-Gin

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I always wanted to name my first born "Gothmog" like in Lord of The Rings.

Did I mention I am divorced now?

LOL!
:roflmao:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dweezil & Moon Unit Zappa did pretty well by themselves, didn't they?

Bruce Willis and Demi Moore chose some unusual names too, if memory serves...and then there's the Phoenix siblings.