Nia Sanchez and her rape comment. people freaks out.

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
?Rape culture wins?: Feminist freakout after Miss Nevada dares suggest self defense training for women | Twitchy

Good god are people seriously this ignorant?

It doesn't matter where or who you are, or your ****in gender. There will always be violence.

To say "I'm not learning self defense, why don't we teach these pig men to NOT RAPE."...is moronic.

"I shouldn't live in a society where I have to worry about being raped". In a perfect world this is agreeable.

But its not a perfect world...

Lord forgive them for they not know how dumb they have become!

i give my high five to her for winning miss usa and she is 4th degree black belt which i think that is hot lol plus for her comment.

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have never heard of parents teaching their children to rape.

There is no "rape culture" just like there is no "fart culture." Its just sexist drivel.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good Lord. Rape culture wins? No, ignorance does. If it were as simple as men not raping, then all a woman would have to do is say, "Hey, don't rape me!" And they would stop. But it DOESN'T work that way. Rapists are bullying controlling A-holes who want to take, take, take. Saying "stop please, Mr. Rapist, I don't want to deal with PTSD" won't do a damn thing.

OP
Michael89

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Also we should just stop teaching drug abuse resistance education in schools. We shouldn't live in a society where we fear drugs are a problem. Psh

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The problem is people don't want to take personal responsibility for anything. While I agree you shouldn't blame the victim in court, in tactics discussion you have to look at everything that goes into a situation to see how to best avoid it. That means a combination of awareness and preparation to avoid risky situations and get yourself out. Granted, sometimes there's nothing you can do, but there are a lot of things you can do to lessen the chance of problems.

For example, I do not want to get robbed. Should I just post a "do not rob" sign on my front door? Or should I have good lightning, an alarm system and/or dog, and lock my doors? Should I just hope that nobody breaks in, or should I have a plan of action including self defense and who to call?

We teach kids not to talk to strangers. Why not enforce safe habits in adults, especially adult women, to avoid the situations we teach our kids about? It's kosher to tell a kid "don't get in the van", but it's not kosher to tell a 16 year old not to wear practically nothing and go get blackout drunk at a party with a guy she just met? I'm not saying people can't party, but simple planning (such as having a sober friend with you, drinking in moderation, etc.) can make a huge difference.

Sorry for the rant. The problem is "teach men not to rape" only applies in teaching them the law (i.e. when you can or cannot legally consent). People know it's inherently wrong, and people don't do it because they think it's right. They do it because they want to, and the only way to stop them is awareness and preparation.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think that there's room for saying that women should become prepared to defend themselves AND trying to change the culture in, say, the greek systems at major colleges where alcohol remains a viable strategy for "getting laid."

Extremism, as usual, isn't an answer on either side.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stopping violence is not just a matter of changing one thing. It has to be approached from every angle. Campuses can improve security (such as better training for security officers, CCD cameras), the police can get better at catching offenders, the courts can keep offenders off the street, society can work towards eliminating the seeds of violence (will take a while) and the people can be educated so that they know that violence against women (or men) is never OK. However NONE of that is in the control of the potential victim.The only things the potential victim of violence can control is what THEY do and that means that they need to be more aware, show some common sense, be confident and learn some self defence.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also we should just stop teaching drug abuse resistance education in schools. We shouldn't live in a society where we fear drugs are a problem. Psh

Drugs don't tend to force themselves in to people of their own accord or have any sense of privilege or ownership. Drugs don't look at a person and think that person is just asking for an altered state. When someone says "No" to drugs, that's pretty much the end right there.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Drugs don't tend to force themselves in to people of their own accord or have any sense of privilege or ownership. Drugs don't look at a person and think that person is just asking for an altered state. When someone says "No" to drugs, that's pretty much the end right there.

You're right, but that post addresses the same kind of foolishness that can be found in the original post.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah, thank you. I thought it was posted in support of the OP rather than satirizing it.

It speaks to the idiocy of thinking that we can stop something bad by just saying "no." Imagine Mr. Mackey from South Park taking up rape prevention as his cause.

"Rape is bad, m'kay? You shouldn't do it...'cos if you do it, you're bad...m'kay?"

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think that there's room for saying that women should become prepared to defend themselves AND trying to change the culture in, say, the greek systems at major colleges where alcohol remains a viable strategy for "getting laid."

Extremism, as usual, isn't an answer on either side.
I don't think that it is extremism to make yourself less likely a victim.
Why would alcohol remain a viable strategy for a pathetic human being? Because some women choose to drink, and drink to excess, making themselves particularly vulnerable to the pathetic human being's strategy.

I think the answer is on both "sides". Don't be a pathetic human being. Don't make yourself vulnerable to pathetic human beings. Responsibility falls on both sides of the equation.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't think that it is extremism to make yourself less likely a victim.
I don't either. That's not what I said. What I did say is that there is room for making yourself less likely a victim AND changing the culture. It's not one thing OR the other. It's really one thing AND another. Really, even that is a clear oversimplification.
Why would alcohol remain a viable strategy for a pathetic human being? Because some women choose to drink, and drink to excess, making themselves particularly vulnerable to the pathetic human being's strategy.
There's the thing. In the greek systems, among young people, the kids doing this aren't categorically pathetic human beings. It is an example of what I believe is a fundamentally broken culture that needs to be changed, where otherwise okay kids are convinced that alcohol is a viable strategy for getting laid. Simply put, if you are marginalizing all of the kids who do this, you're really talking about most of them. When the issue is so pervasive within the culture of a particular system, such as the Greek system in major universities, it's kids making bad choices AND a culture that is inherently broken. Once again, it's not all one thing or the other.
I think the answer is on both "sides". Don't be a pathetic human being. Don't make yourself vulnerable to pathetic human beings. Responsibility falls on both sides of the equation.
Right. Agreed.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've been seeing this rejection of learning self-defense more and more lately, and while I understand where it's coming from, I don't like it.

Where it comes from is frustration over the way that most rape prevention campaigns mainly focus on what women can do to try and prevent being raped. (And usually not even in a very effective way, since most rapes are not committed by a stranger in a dark alley, and will not be prevented by walking with friends or learning a groin kick.) Which basically puts the responsibility for preventing rape on the potential victims, which is pretty unfair and unrealistic and can lead to victim-blaming.

But I think rejecting the study of self-defense entirely is going much too far. Self-defense shouldn't be treated like the end-all-be-all of rape prevention, but it does have a place.

Rather, rape prevention just needs to be more comprehensive. Part of it is about learning self-defense and awareness, part of it is about teaching kids and teens how to have healthy relationships (the most common rapist is someone you're romantically involved with), part of it is about teaching young men about the value and meaning of consent, and a whole lot of it is about law enforcement and public safety.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I hear "I carry a gun, I don't need to know self defense" a lot. Apparently all attackers let their intentions be known a good 15 to 20 feet away from you. Learn to escape the attacker, create distance and then get the gun out.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been seeing this rejection of learning self-defense more and more lately, and while I understand where it's coming from, I don't like it.

Where it comes from is frustration over the way that most rape prevention campaigns mainly focus on what women can do to try and prevent being raped. (And usually not even in a very effective way, since most rapes are not committed by a stranger in a dark alley, and will not be prevented by walking with friends or learning a groin kick.) Which basically puts the responsibility for preventing rape on the potential victims, which is pretty unfair and unrealistic and can lead to victim-blaming.

But I think rejecting the study of self-defense entirely is going much too far. Self-defense shouldn't be treated like the end-all-be-all of rape prevention, but it does have a place.

Rather, rape prevention just needs to be more comprehensive. Part of it is about learning self-defense and awareness, part of it is about teaching kids and teens how to have healthy relationships (the most common rapist is someone you're romantically involved with), part of it is about teaching young men about the value and meaning of consent, and a whole lot of it is about law enforcement and public safety.

Yes, yes, and yes. The teaching kids is all about raising our children. If it doesn't start there it just ain't going to work. In Martial Arts, at least in the ones I know of, it is about the developing of character through hard work, discipline and good teaching. I'm not sure what going to school plays into this, but there probably should be something. The rest is discouraging bad people. There's a reason young men don't break into the Hells Angels clubhouse to steal beer. Because they know.

Law Enforcement has it's hands tied. We grab em', lock em' up and continue our shift. By the time we get up in the morning, they're already out.

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I hear "I carry a gun, I don't need to know self defense" a lot. Apparently all attackers let their intentions be known a good 15 to 20 feet away from you. Learn to escape the attacker, create distance and then get the gun out.

I got asked why I train when I open carry at the gas station once...and I get asked a lot why I carry a gun when I know martial arts...bleh

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The issue is that it's not an "either/or" thing ("either teach girls SD, or tell guys not to rape."), it's a "both/and" thing ("we teach both our girls SD AND our boys to not rape."). We (as a society) need to teach our daughters self-defense AND teach our sons that "no means no." Each need to be taught because the message, "no means no," is not making it into the heads of many guys. We have to teach both genders.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
What doesn't help is that each generation seems to be more selfish than the last, at least from the kids I have been exposed to. The "instant gratification" mindset is another problem: people don't believe in EARNING something anymore...it is so much easier to take. For example, why wait to sleep with a woman by courting her for several months when you can just force her? (I realize rape isn't always about sex, but I'm just it as an example. I could just as easily say, "Why save up to buy a video game when you could steal it?")

I'm not saying selfishness and impatience will a rapist make. After all, rape is about control and power. But I am sure those two qualities don't help matters.