Newbie Questions about Wing Chun

TsunNew

White Belt
Reaction score
If you dont already know im looking to get into wing chun, but i have one question if this style would be good for my short height? im short at..5'3 and would like some advice if you know of short guys/girls being able to adapt to this style?

Thnx in advance for your advice

Topeng

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a Wing Chun practitioner but this could apply to many martial arts. Being shorter can actually have an advantage once you close distance.
A few people I practice with are shorter than me. By getting in close, these guys take a few of my "weapons" away by not allowing me to extend my limbs (reducing my power). Also, shorter guys have a lower center of gravity which can be used for takedowns or takedown defense.
I'm not sure if this is true or psychological but it seems that people with shorter limbs are faster in those limbs.
I don't personally think height has to do with whether or not a style is good for you. Think about this: People of Asian descent are typically shorter than others on average...but thats where most of your Grand Masters are from.

OP
T

TsunNew

White Belt
Reaction score
.....i guess you answered that....and exposed the most crucial evidence in the creators of kung fu haha manlol:btg:

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm 6'3'' and I do wing chun with guys who are 5' and 4' no problem.
The art was invented by a female and it is designed to disreguard strength and physical structure

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you dont already know im looking to get into wing chun, but i have one question if this style would be good for my short height? im short at..5'3 and would like some advice if you know of short guys/girls being able to adapt to this style?

Thnx in advance for your advice

I'm about 5'8" and Wing Tsun has worked well for me. WT Master Jeff Webb of Austin is probably about 5'5" tops and he is awesome. He's the head of the newly formed NWTO or "National Wing Tsun Organization". I've seen him handily dispose of opponents twice his size. So, you are studying a good art for a compact build.

Latest Discussions