New weapons for terrorists?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just watched a special on the history channel about the advent of ceramic blades. Although they are extreemly brittle and subject to chipping, on first thrust they are a far superior blade to any metal knife. I could fathom a whole arsenal of these going unnoticed at metal detectors. Zoinks!
Sean

M

MisterMike

Touch'O'Death said:
I just watched a special on the history channel about the advent of ceramic blades. Although they are extreemly brittle and subject to chipping, on first thrust they are a far superior blade to any metal knife. I could fathom a whole arsenal of these going unnoticed at metal detectors. Zoinks!
Sean

It's nothing new. Remember those $5.00 cheapie plastic "CIA" knives..LOL

A determined person could make short work of a target with a plastic butter knife.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
If someone wants to get something (contraband, weapons, etc) through security bad enough, they will do it. Aye, it's disturbing the lengths some will go to get their, but it seems to be the growing trend of today.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
If someone wants to get something (contraband, weapons, etc) through security bad enough, they will do it. Aye, it's disturbing the lengths some will go to get their, but it seems to be the growing trend of today.

This is true, unfortunatily, and has not changed regardless of how many people security can harrass with nail clippers. Some real security measures would cost more then they are willing to spend, such as installing doors to seal the pilot in the cockpit (so no-one could get in), security on planes, or even training and arming flight attendents with tazers, or other weapons that wouldn't be dangerous to use while in flight.

To their defense, though, it seems like it would be pretty close to impossible to get an explosive device on the plane, so I think we have made some improvements there.

PAUL

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jeff Foxworthy does a skit about how he was traveling through an airport where they had contraband items in a glass case, including a weedwacker and a leaf blower.... wah?

Seriously though, some of the seemingly petty stuff that security confiscates is what could be called 'demonstration of enforcement' so that - not so much the average person - but those fringe crazies or terrorist types who are enteraining the idea of carrying/using something on the plane that they shouldn't will see the nail clippers, files,...weedwackers (I still don't get that one) being taken away and think "Hey, if they are being that anal, I will not be able to get this X-item on board." There are far more procedural and technical changes that we don't see as we move in and out of the airport that have advanced airport security far more than any personnel security changes.

Terrorists and other determined types can be the ultimate of 'necessity as mother of invention' types in a malevolent way. It is a constant cycle that, like our MA training, takes things like money, access and time into consideration when security procedures/advancements are decided on. Unfortunately, most changes are reactive because of the 'track record' or 'bottom line' mentallity of the purse strings. It's a shame but a reality

Latest Discussions