new to wing chun

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
evening guys.
i have just started wing chun under sifu tony and master james sinclair at their headquartes in essex england.things are going well so far.... i think:)
having done both shotokan and ishinryu karate for nearly 10 yrs i am not sure wether it is andvantage or not having previous knowledge.
so any advice members have will be handy.
i am borderline ocd with anything i do so the science and body mechanics of wing chun facinate me. i have a few dvds and books and am very confused with the differences coming thru via different schools of thought anf forms etc.
i believe i have found the best school around my area and my sifu is particualrly patient with me for which i am grateful.
i get my wall bag monday yay!!!
please- any help muchly appreciated.
matsu
england

Frost

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the world of wing chun. There are som many different perspectives and ideas that float around I can understand the confusion that you are going experiencing. What kind of questions do you have? I'll do my best to help you if I can.

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thanks bud.
i am having a lot of trouble just getting me head into the differnce stance and body shapes used in wing chun. ridiculous because when explained it is pure simplicity but the years of structured training is making it troublsome.
last nite we were retreating with a block using the forearm- i am sorry my terminolgy is non existent at present
is there somewhere that logs all the basic terms i can use to memorise?

the other question is mostly about lineage and how the diff schools have evolved..... for now
lol
i am sure i will try to use the wealth of experience

thanks for the early input.
matsu

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i am borderline ocd with anything i do so the science and body mechanics of wing chun facinate me. i have a few dvds and books and am very confused with the differences coming thru via different schools of thought anf forms etc.
matsu
england

Borderline ocd??? Well you've come to the right place. Wing Chun will certainly keep you occupied! I would suggest that for now, don't worry about the differences between the various branches of WC/WT. Just focus on getting really good at what your Sifu teaches you. Good luck!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train in Wing Chun and Cuong Nhu, which is heavily Shotokan, it is a bit of a double edged sword. On the one hand, you do have prior training, so you are less likely to just retreat when attacked in Chi Sao. On the other hand, you might have a hard time reacting appropriately in Chi Sao.

Have fun!

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
thanks bud.
i am having a lot of trouble just getting me head into the differnce stance and body shapes used in wing chun. ridiculous because when explained it is pure simplicity but the years of structured training is making it troublsome.
last nite we were retreating with a block using the forearm- i am sorry my terminolgy is non existent at present
is there somewhere that logs all the basic terms i can use to memorise?

the other question is mostly about lineage and how the diff schools have evolved..... for now
lol
i am sure i will try to use the wealth of experience

thanks for the early input.
matsu

Matsu,

I am in the same boat and gave been doing Wing Chun now for 2 months. My background is mainly Koei-Kan-Karate-Do, Kickboxing (American rules), and Tae Kwon Do so I do feel your pain. I am solely training Wing Chun (Ip Man>Ip Ching>Garner Train) right now and will do so untill I feel comfortable with the new structure and striking I am learning. It is sooooo much different!

Gary

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I train in Wing Chun and Cuong Nhu, which is heavily Shotokan, it is a bit of a double edged sword.

I really don't want to get off topic... but Wing Chun and Shotokan? That sounds like a bit of a paradox. I usually think of Shotokan as being very hard, with long stances, hard blocks and "one-punch kill" philosophy. WC is flexible, yielding, has narrow stances and stresses rapid, multiple-striking attacks, like chain punching. How do you handle these apparent contradictions?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really don't want to get off topic... but Wing Chun and Shotokan? That sounds like a bit of a paradox. I usually think of Shotokan as being very hard, with long stances, hard blocks and "one-punch kill" philosophy. WC is flexible, yielding, has narrow stances and stresses rapid, multiple-striking attacks, like chain punching. How do you handle these apparent contradictions?

Simple. I let what comes out, come out. Many techniques from Shotokan, can be altered slightly so as to blend with Wing Chun, and vice versa.

BlueVino

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
...having done both shotokan and ishinryu karate for nearly 10 yrs i am not sure wether it is andvantage or not having previous knowledge.
so any advice members have will be handy.

For what it's worth, I started training in Wing Chun after around nine years training in other arts. I think that, on balance, it's more than likely going to be an advantage. You'll need to break some old habits, but you've probably practiced movements that are similar enough to what you'll see in WC that you'll pick them up a little more easily.

You might also be able to integrate some of your other techniques in to your current training, which can be fun.

Cheers,
Trueblood

Frost

White Belt
Reaction score
I trained in different arts before I started my Fut Sao Wing Chun training. I find that it helps to not make you an insular fighter.

By insular I mean that sometimes people get used to sparring with someone that only does Wing Chun. As a result, they get good at fighting their own style. For example, let's face it, we throw centerline punches, and not too many other arts focus on it as much as wing chun does. If you only practice defending against that, you are going to have a hard time with other types of attacks.

Having had prior training allows one to be more conscious about the variations that may occur in a fight.

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thanks guys
i will fire some questions as and when i need to.
i,m not sure i,ll,be of any help to anyone else for a while..............mmmmmm at least a decade lol!

matsu

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I started training in Wing Chun after around nine years training in other arts. I think that, on balance, it's more than likely going to be an advantage. You'll need to break some old habits, but you've probably practiced movements that are similar enough to what you'll see in WC that you'll pick them up a little more easily.

You might also be able to integrate some of your other techniques in to your current training, which can be fun.

Cheers,
Trueblood

In my experience, knowing other styles made it even tougher for me to pick up WC properly. When I transitioned from WT to WC I had problems getting rid of, what I like to call now, bad habits. I believe the benefit to knowing another style is that you have better body control.

Other then that, WELCOME to WC!!! :D

Once you get hooked, you'll use its concepts in everyday situations.

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thanks guys.
i seem to have developed some very "bad habits" lol
and having been away from martial arts for a few yrs and weight traininh heavily seems to have set my body to stone- i cant seem to get that flexibility and flow moving again... but its only been a few months and at my age(;) i cant afford to rush it!

thanks again
i,ll be in touch.
matsu

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thanks guys.
i seem to have developed some very "bad habits" lol
and having been away from martial arts for a few yrs and weight traininh heavily seems to have set my body to stone- i cant seem to get that flexibility and flow moving again... but its only been a few months and at my age(;) i cant afford to rush it!

thanks again
i,ll be in touch.
matsu

Yeah, weight training heavily and WC don't really mix. Muscle mass adds resistance to your relaxed punch, causing you to have to swing around the muscle. There's a guy that does a demo on youtube and he looks silly and doesn't appear to apply the concept, but does have the moves down. If I we're him I would have taken up ba qua (sp?) or something with a bit larger movements. jmo

OP
M

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
god i hope i dont look that bad.
i have always had trouble relaxing my shoulders and breathing right.
karate suited me in that aspect but i cannot do high kicks and the impacting techniques now with hip and low back injuries anymore so i felt wing chun would suit me.

ive been upto 19stone at 6ft2".
am down to 16 and half.
lots of cardio and low carb diet to get me to under 16.
i hope i can get over this obvious "problem"

thanks again
matsu. x

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
How many pounds (lbs.) are in one stone? Isn't it like 8 lbs. or something???

Latest Discussions