new to Wing Chun

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As taekwondo guy what should I expect from wing chun? I trained in Taekwondo for ten years on and off now.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As taekwondo guy what should I expect from wing chun?.

Hmmmm....let's see...
- bickering
- in fighting
- politics
- "...but my Sifu said"...
- you don't know/train the real/true wing chun
- ambiguity
- and a bunch of people who take Donnie Yen films too literally
:D :D :D

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're going to probably hear this a lot so please let me start........"relax"
^^^^ this.
And: "use your elbow", "go forward not to the side", "go to the centerline", "don't cross the centerline", "stay on the centerline", "maintain contact" and other such phrases.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I say, go on in without any preconceived notions. Nobody online can prepare you for a new experience. Just go and have the experience

OP
Michael89

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Learning how to relax is one of reason why i want to take up wing chun.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One thing that drives people nuts, is when the new guy can't stop talking about how he trained in his old school. "Oh, well in TKD we do it like this, I think it's better...".

Don't be that guy.

If it is a wing chun school, then learn wing chun and practice wing chun. Don't try to convert your new wing chun into TKD.

D

Dylan9d

Learning how to relax is one of reason why i want to take up wing chun.

Why ? Does Wing Chun do this exclusively?

That's why a Wing Chun teacher thought my Silat was Wing Chun recently :)

Enjoy WC/VT ......

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, trust me im not going to do that. Not even make it known that i trained in taekwondo.
Ya don't gotta be all secretive, because people will figure out pretty quick you've had some training. Just let it lie in the background. If they ask, be honest, you can talk about it. Just recognize how much, and when, it's appropriate. And don't let it interfere with your wing chun training.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At first a lot of WC stuff may seem to go against your TKD instincts. Don't worry. If you stick with it not only will you get good at WC, your TKD may actually benefit as well. At least that's what my sons TKD teacher thought!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, trust me im not going to do that. Not even make it known that i trained in taekwondo.

You won't have to tell anybody they'll be able to tell right away I'm sure.
I came to WC after 14 years of training a different style of Kung-Fu. It took a long time to undo the previous training, so be patient with yourself it's going to take a while.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't do wing chun unless you have an excellent teacher and are ready to learn and practice regularly

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I came to WC after 14 years of training a different style of Kung-Fu. It took a long time to undo the previous training, so be patient with yourself it's going to take a while.
Could you share what you need to "undo"? IMO, this is the center of this discussion.

If you have to go back to your previous Kung Fu system again, do you also need "a long time" to undo your WC training?

kakkattekoi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As taekwondo guy what should I expect from wing chun? I trained in Taekwondo for ten years on and off now.
another thing to be expect is lineage and history of wing chun
some people are really concern about it

by the way, what is the diff between WC n VT (i know i should have google it)

and you will find out people here talks heavily on WSLWC which is a lineage of one of the student of ip man so yes understanding lineage helps

As for more the practical side, other than centre line, the footwork and the kicks are quite diff
if you want to look into that I would suggest taking a look at the wooden dummy form
and dont get bored from learning the form at the beginning ! it will gets more fun once you can practice with other by sticky hand (chi sau) !

Sent from my 404SH using Tapatalk

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could you share what you need to "undo"? IMO, this is the center of this discussion.

If you have to go back to your previous Kung Fu system again, do you also need "a long time" to undo your WC training?

WT was counter intuitive to almost everything I was taught in the other system.
The stance, the footwork, the punching mechanics...

The funny thing though, I have gone back and played around with the old stuff on occasion and for whatever reason, my WT training has somehow enhanced it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
WT was counter intuitive to almost everything I was taught in the other system.
The stance, the footwork, the punching mechanics...

The funny thing though, I have gone back and played around with the old stuff on occasion and for whatever reason, my WT training has somehow enhanced it.
That was also how I felt too.

I have trained the long fist system for 10 years before I started to cross trained the WC system. When I started my Kung Fu informal class in the University of Texas at Austin, I started a 2 hours class with 1st hour WC (taught by my WC friend Jeffery Law, a YM's student) and 2nd hour long fist. All my students were confused big time and I had to stop my WC section after 2 months.

When I trained WC, I didn't do much the following:

- move around,
- extend my body,
- rotate my body,
- use circular moves,
- throw high kick, jump kick,
- protect my body from outside in,

But the benefit that I can get from the WC training are:

- protect my center from inside out,
- understand my head and my arms position,
- guard my territory without moving back,
- block and punch at the same time,
- use my shin bite,
- protect my groin area,

Last edited:
OP
Michael89

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
From what I can rather it is Gray Lam's Wing Chun. Gray Lam trained with Grandmaster Wong Shun Leung.

Latest Discussions