New To-Shin Do Video from SKH Fall Festival '06

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had not seen this clip. Thanks for posting it. It was good seeing Brett Varnum get his 6th and it was nice that John Poliquin tied it on him. Haven't seen that in a few years, but I did start with those two back before To-Shin-Do was around, and they were still Bujinkan. Have been on the receiving end of several of those, from both of them, and can still remember the black-and-blue marks. :) Wouldn't have missed training with either of them for anything.

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone has seen this yet:

http://blip.tv/file/123218

Interesting clip but i still come up with the same question when watching Toshindo clips.

I see nothing new in them, nothing that has not been done. practiced or henka of anything in the Bujinkan even before Toshindo was 'born'

always come back to the same question, why change something that is not broken....

kouryuu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Interesting clip but i still come up with the same question when watching Toshindo clips.

I see nothing new in them, nothing that has not been done. practiced or henka of anything in the Bujinkan even before Toshindo was 'born'

always come back to the same question, why change something that is not broken....

I was going to say money:moon: but no, i won`t:angel:

Happy new year to everybody including our Toshindo friends, have a good one:cheers: or two!!!

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score

There are some that say it is a totally different art and doesn't even look the same...:mst:

jetboatdeath

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow how cool i am going to suggest a local "ninja festival" the next time i am in class. You know cute little skits to get the audiance laughing, chicks straddeling my chest..... oh wate thats rite there would be a line of people wating to beat my ***. And more than likley skh has a trade mark on "ninja festival"

makoto-dojo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this.

I always enjoyed Rumiko Hayes' movement. It looks like allot of people were having a great time.

Regards,

MrFunnieman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow how cool i am going to suggest a local "ninja festival" the next time i am in class. You know cute little skits to get the audiance laughing, chicks straddeling my chest..... oh wate thats rite there would be a line of people wating to beat my ***. And more than likley skh has a trade mark on "ninja festival"

jetboatdeath,

Please let me help.

Wow! How cool! I am going to suggest a local "ninja festival" the next time I am in class. You know, cute little skits to get the audience laughing? Chicks straddling my chest... Oh wait. That's right. There would be a line of people waiting to beat my ***. And more than likely, SKH has a trademark on "ninja festival".

You will find that proper spelling and grammar helps make your point more readable and your Hayes bashing more effective.

Your welcome.

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok so this ought to be fun! Why does everyone put Mr. Hayes down? If nothing new is being shown on the video then does that not show everyone is learning the same movements? If we are all learning the same stuff what is the problem?

By the way, when Mrs. Eldridge was "straddling" my chest she managed to cause me a bit of pain! That should open the flood gates!!!!

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If nothing new is being shown on the video then does that not show everyone is learning the same movements? If we are all learning the same stuff what is the problem?

I don't know if you can say that people in Toshindo are learning the same movements that we are in Bujinkan.

After all, Hatsumi taught Hayes all that Hayes knows. But Hatsumi did not teach Hayes everything Hatsumi knows.

Of course, there is still a lot of bad habits running around in the Bujinkan as I recently mentioned in another thread. The movements and standards I see here in Japan are not all that common in overseas practicioners IMO. Hopefully, people in the Bujinkan that still move with the old, bad habits will continue to go to the head of the Bujinkan and get better. So I think the movements between our two arts will look more and more different over time.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You will find that proper spelling and grammar helps make your point more readable and your Hayes bashing more effective.

Your welcome.

Mr Funnieman, If I may be so bold, perhaps you should evaluate the above statment and then take your own advice...

In the Immoral words of Homer Simpson... "D'OH!"

You're Welcome, Pal. :D

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
After all, Hatsumi taught Hayes all that Hayes knows. But Hatsumi did not teach Hayes everything Hatsumi knows.

Brilliant point Don! I started in the Bujinkan and was caught in an area that when Hayes went to To-Shin Do the schools that were here went with him. It is still that way, and being caught in the middle, I continue to train with those instructors who were well grounded in Bunjinkan, but have changed the schools over to To-Shin Do. There is no Bujinkan schools close (nearest is a 5 1/2 hour drive one way) so, here I am, stuck in the middle again. Kind of feels like a Country song you know, somebody stole my art and changed the name on me. I can see the difference in the two in their movements growing further apart as more time goes on.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let's try to keep this discussion on the original topic, and not turn it into Bujinkan vs. Toshindo, take 27, mmmkay?

Arachne

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Impressive Video, capturing a decent combination of drama, art ,talent and more.
Anymore decent Videos?

MrFunnieman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mr Funnieman, If I may be so bold, perhaps you should evaluate the above statment and then take your own advice...

In the Immoral words of Homer Simpson... "D'OH!"

You're Welcome, Pal. :D

:eek: The Devil's in the details.

Arachne

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well there's more sensation when it's live.
Plus you can really hear the dummy squeals :D

SKB

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wait a minute............ I did not squeal that much when Mrs. Eldridge stuck her finger in my eye or smakced me in the head! I did make a wierd kind of noise when she made contact with her foot!!!!!!! Should of heard me when we were figureing out what she was going to do in Ohio!! I got a habit, good or bad, of not 'giving' anyone a teqnigue untill they cause pain or something. She is viscious when she has to be!!!

Makes me beleive in what I am studing!!! If she can do things to make me stop then there must be something to this art!!! I am about three times as big as her and out weight her by probably two hundred pounds!!!!

Mr. Roley, since you are in Japan and have access to the people there have you ever asked them about Mr. Hayes?

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wait a minute............ I did not squeal that much when Mrs. Eldridge stuck her finger in my eye or smakced me in the head! I did make a wierd kind of noise when she made contact with her foot!!!!!!! Should of heard me when we were figureing out what she was going to do in Ohio!! I got a habit, good or bad, of not 'giving' anyone a teqnigue untill they cause pain or something. She is viscious when she has to be!!!

Makes me beleive in what I am studing!!! If she can do things to make me stop then there must be something to this art!!! I am about three times as big as her and out weight her by probably two hundred pounds!!!!

Mr. Roley, since you are in Japan and have access to the people there have you ever asked them about Mr. Hayes?

Look forward to training with Mrs. Eldridge next month in Portland, ME. Should be a great time down there from what I hear.