New to Muay Thai

lispizzer

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, so far I've been to 5 MT sessions, and I feel like I'm getting used to it. So, I've been wondering, just how long does it usually take for a total beginner like myself to be able to take sessions/classes of the next level?(ex: beginner -> intermediate -or- beginner -> [difficulty level that's right after beginner]).

P.S: I'm not sure if your gyms are different, but mine have 3 different classes: 1. Total Beginner 2. Beginner/Intermediate 3. Advanced

thanks!

Giorgio

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well first of all it entirely depends on the way your classes work.
Some are one hour sessions, others run up to three hours. It also depends what your gym considers beginner, intermediate and advanced students to be. That said, in my personal experience, if you've got no martial arts background, give yourself at least a month to get used to the physical exertion of muay thai alone. Along with that, you need to have your footwork and guard down pat, and be comfortable with all the basic punches (straights, hooks, uppercuts) and all the basic kicks (roundhouse and teeps). I think that would be a good level to start going into intermediate classes.

Advanced is a much more relative term. To some it could mean training for/thinking seriously about a fight. To others it could mean just being completely comfortable with all the techniques, without any serious intention of getting into the ring.

I think the best thing to do would be to just go for a lesson and dip your toe in. A good gym won't yell at you if you happen to be a bit below the level of the class. I'm sorry if this isn't so informative, but it's hard to gauge how exactly your class is structured.

Good Luck!

OP
L

lispizzer

White Belt
Reaction score
the total beginner sessions i goto are 1 hour long!!

Giorgio

Green Belt
Reaction score
1 hour sessions are good to get your body used to the physical requirements of muay thai, and acquainting yourself with the techniques, but 2 or 3 hour sessions are much better if you're a bit more advanced. They are much more physically taxing, however, so I say stick with your total beginner classes.

It should be easy to tell when you're no longer a beginner. You'll be able to do roundhouse kicks and punches without feeling awkward, and you'll feel good and natural hitting the pads, instead of nervous and tense. Charting your progress and seeing yourself improve is one of the best parts of doing a martial art, so don't fret about what level you're at, you'll definitely notice yourself improving, so just enjoy getting better!

Latest Discussions