new to muay thai

hobbz

White Belt
Reaction score
so i want to learn muay thai but i have no formal martial arts training will that effect my learning too much. and what should i do to start preparing my body for the training and learning of the arts.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Welcome. And congrats on making your first post on martial talk!!! There are a few recent threads about this in the Muay Thai forums- you might want to have a read through the conversations there.

But basically- just get started. Find a good school near where you live, and get started. There's nothing that will get you conditioned for Muay Thai like Muay Thai!!!

However, if you feel like training in the meantime while you find a school, I will recommend a few things to help get you started. I should ask you however: are you totally unfit, or just new to the MA's? If you have never done any training in your life, and have no idea how to run or lift weights or stretch properly, then it might not be wise to do so without proper instruction. So the advice I will give presumes that you have some sort of fitness or familiarity with basic exercises like running, stretching etc. If not- then seek professional training advice before getting started- that's my disclaimer :)

First of all, start stretching once a day. This will begin to get you mobile and flexible- just make sure that you do a small warmup before you start stretching. I would also do some cardiovascular activity (i.e. running or skipping). That will help get your cardiovascular fitness up. If you know how to lift weights you can do a bit as well, or try doing pushup routines and lots of situps and crunches. You could try this 3 day training program for example: run on day one, then after you finish the run have a good stretching session. Then on day two you could skip for 10-15 mins, followed up with a stretching session and a pushups/situps routine. Then have day three off before starting this cycle again!!!

Hope this helps. I still recommend finding a school ASAP, get in there and train ur *** off!!!

Good luck
:)

OP
H

hobbz

White Belt
Reaction score
thank you on the info um i haven't had any formal boxing training i talked to a school the other day and they told me to take their beginning kick boxing class first then they will move me to the Muay Thai class, as for exercising i skateboard which is a great way to condition the body it requires alot of cardio and leg strength. i also do crunches and sit-ups.

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well there ya go. You're already well on the road to starting your journey. Make sure u start that first class- you'll be hooked afterwards. Let us know how you enjoyed yourself afterwards!!!

:)

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Just a tip, but when you're first starting out, make sure to take things slow and listen to your instructor. Some people can get hung up on wanting to go fast and hit hard, but as an old instructor of mine used to say "Why you in such a hurry to be so bad?". Heh. Power and speed will come when you get the technique down, plus you'll save yourself some downtime from injury that way.

Good luck!

onibaku

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
start stretching. then you should do jogging. you can also start kicking and punching so you won't have sore muscles when you start formal training in muay thai. TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN

..n..

White Belt
Reaction score
Pick up your cardio a bit and stretch some more. Focus on the basics, like your kicking stance and foot work, the attention to detail now will pay off many fold in the long run.

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you are on your way. Just because you don't have any formal training doesn't mean that you need it. Sometimes the inexperienced students are the best beginners in a new martial art/style.

darthcual

White Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you are on your way. Just because you don't have any formal training doesn't mean that you need it. Sometimes the inexperienced students are the best beginners in a new martial art/style.

Yes yes and yes. I have a hard time training someone who has exp in another martial art. They either have bad habits, or, worse, an attitude of superiorority that the art they have learned in the past works better when combined with what I am teaching.

Latest Discussions