new to me camera

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I decided to buy a real camera and take some better pictures I bought a used Cannon Rebel I know nothing much about cameras or photography so I was just playing around with it today

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That last shot my son was putting on a puppet show for us. He made the puppets today at Lowes kids builder workshop

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
3rd and 4th shots I really like. The Rebel's are good cameras, I shot most of my early portraits on one.

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Still trying to figure this camera out. We went to a summer camp weekend retreat with my kids and other families from church. Here are some pictures I took I need a better lens to zoom in better. The kids did a zip line and I couldn't zoom in enough to see them that well they were too high

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really like what you are doing! I have a Rebel as well, its a good camera. Great introduction to what a DSLR can do.

I like the shots of the camp, esp. the people putting the votives in the water. I have wanted to do shoot something like that for quite some time.

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I really like what you are doing! I have a Rebel as well, its a good camera. Great introduction to what a DSLR can do.

I like the shots of the camp, esp. the people putting the votives in the water. I have wanted to do shoot something like that for quite some time.
I was surprised at how light the dusk photos turned out. It was much darker out in person. I noticed they are a little blurry. I need to learn how to use all the functions and dials and buttons there were a few times I tried to take a picture and would push the button and nothing would happen.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was surprised at how light the dusk photos turned out. It was much darker out in person. I noticed they are a little blurry. I need to learn how to use all the functions and dials and buttons there were a few times I tried to take a picture and would push the button and nothing would happen.

twilight pictures are really tricky.
I got tons of fuzzies I need to sort out of my folders. But sometimes you just have to go for it, hoping it turns out to be alright.

Do you use the screen or the view finder?
I find that using the screen causes a maddening shutter delay for me. Sadly something I did ot realize 3 years ago, could ahve had a bunch f better pictures with my old Olympus, too.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Your auto settings are compensating for the lack of light with longer exposure times. This is letting more light in to the camera, but also introducing blurriness from your hand's natural shaking (the human body doesn't have the stability that a tripod has) that wouldn't be as evident as higher speeds. Sometimes in low light conditions, autofocus is having trouble calculating the focus, as well as the proper speed and ISO for the scene, which is why the shot would not fire when you pressed the button. Dusk photos are tricky, takes a good bit of practice. But you're on the right track :)

Latest Discussions