New Kukkiwon Logo & Certificates

aftab

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've just logged onto the Kukkiwon website this week and noticed the New Kukkiwon Logo and branding of the organisation.

What do you guys think?

Also there seems to be some kind of a 'new' reward system for instructors, where you can collect points and exchange them for err...something or other :)

Has anyone got images of the new kukkiwon certificates and cards yet?

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In addition to the cosmetic changes the Kukkiwon is making on its web site, the organization is making a bigger and less publicized restructuring. According to this recent article(http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2010/09/136_73699.html from from the Korea times the new Kukkiwon president Won Sik Kang is spearheading the reforms.

"Since taking office on June 11, Kang has attempted to embrace international practitioners by modifying the Kukkiwon rules on Aug. 31 to include foreigners on the board of directors for the first time ever," the paper notes. "While the decision also aimed at other purposes, putting five presidents of the federation from their respective continents _ Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, and Oceania ― it was regarded as a surprising and refreshing move."

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm really not a fan of that branding at all! I like the traditional look of the old Kukkiwon certificates and logo - it feels like it's an institution that you've been accepted in to. The new stuff looks like a modern sports body - well done, you've played 100 hours of football, you're now a Level 3 football player.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Andy. I thought the original KKW emblem held meaning whereas the newer one looks like it was created for marketing purposes.

Haven't seen them on certificates yet.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Haven't seen them on certificates yet.

It's on the certificate here (this isn't my certificate, it's one I found online recently so kept as an example of the new certificates):

http://yfrog.com/epy5bj

As I said, not a fan. The little pictograms of martial art movements look kinda from a distance with one eye closed like oriental characters to the untrained eye. But I don't think the certificate looks classy. I think it looks too modern/funky.

Thoughts?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's on the certificate here (this isn't my certificate, it's one I found online recently so kept as an example of the new certificates):

http://yfrog.com/epy5bj

As I said, not a fan. The little pictograms of martial art movements look kinda from a distance with one eye closed like oriental characters to the untrained eye. But I don't think the certificate looks classy. I think it looks too modern/funky.

Thoughts?

I realize that the KKW has had an image problem, but a new logo won't bring about trust back into the organization. It will take a sustained period of time being an organization of integrity to regain trust.

Putting lipstick on a pig doesn't fool anyone & it annoys the pig. This new look looks like it belongs in a first grade classroom. It certainly isn't the mark of an organization who wants to be respected.

Bring back the old logo as you restore your integrity!!!

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
please tell me thats not really the new certificate:confused:
:barf:

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Putting lipstick on a pig doesn't fool anyone...

You haven't been in some of the bars I have.

I'm not saying alcohol was involved in the decisionmaking, but maybe the people making decisions haven't sought the input of the stakeholders.

...ok, I just looked at the certificate...alcohol wouldn't help.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is there a point to the pseudo-hanja looking stick figures in the top left portion of the certificate?

What I take to be the actual KKW logo looks a bit like an Um-Yang symbol someone squashed between their fingers.

Pax,

Chris

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I know ugly, ugly and ugly. What the hell is wrong with tradition anymore

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess I've gotta remember that the paper is like the belt--a symbol. I've seen the current/past KKW certificates come in for our black belts, and I'm impressed. In another year or two when I finally earn one, I'm not so pleased with what mine might look like...but there will be no doubt about what it will represent. At least I can control that.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm really not a fan of that branding at all! I like the traditional look of the old Kukkiwon certificates and logo - it feels like it's an institution that you've been accepted in to. The new stuff looks like a modern sports body - well done, you've played 100 hours of football, you're now a Level 3 football player.

I would think that this is precisely the 'branding' desired.

OP
A

aftab

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think this 'new branding' of the Kukkiwon maybe a step in the wrong direction, for a number of reasons:

1. WTF Taekwondo will be seen more like a sport and less like a martial art...

2. Kukkiwon 'belt standards' will over time change to reflect the WTF agenda and the 'martial arts' aspects will be be further diluted, as more 'master' grades are promoted to spread TKD as a Korean sport

These new certificates are dreadful...and don't look very classy at all :mad:
Hmm I wonder what the high dan ones will look like? as I can't imagine many senior master wanting to pay $$$ for something so cheap looking..

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow, that certificate is really a step in a direction. Not sure what to say about that direction but wow...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think this 'new branding' of the Kukkiwon maybe a step in the wrong direction, for a number of reasons:

1. WTF Taekwondo will be seen more like a sport and less like a martial art...

2. Kukkiwon 'belt standards' will over time change to reflect the WTF agenda and the 'martial arts' aspects will be be further diluted, as more 'master' grades are promoted to spread TKD as a Korean sport

Not interested in bashing the KKW, but I think it's patently obvious that their primary vision of TKD is as a sport. That is the message I get when most every press release they put out makes a reference to 'sport'.

It's there in the link above again for example.

======================
It has been 22 years since taekwondo made its debut on the international stage at the 1988 Seoul Olympics as a demonstration sport. The Korean martial art has made strenuous efforts to promote the taekwondo spirit and is consequently being recognized worldwide among other sports in the same category.

Former IOC vice president Kim Un-yong long served as the Kukkiwon president from 1971 until 1991. He played a leading role in the sport making its debut on the international stage, like at the Olympics.

Choue's suggestion is based on the idea that sports can be effective tools in bringing people together, which was proved with the successful launching of the WTF Taekwondo Peace Corps. The program initiated in 2008 and brought a positive response from youths around the world by providing chances to learn the spirit of the sport.

The corps is endeavoring to implement comprehensive sport-related assistance in many areas including underdeveloped countries. The organization is focusing on offering assistance including equipment, skills and training for local athletes and coaches for any Olympic sport in needy countries to lead them to eventually lean toward Korea.

Kang is also eager to improve relations with the KTA in order to help nourish taekwondo in a concerted effort. The organization also introduced a working program on Sept. 16 to attract the local teens and adults.

"Many taekwondo practitioners learn the sport when they are children but they give up as they grow older unless they want be professional athletes."
===============================

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... So, if you're just a dojang owner interested in teaching martial TKD, what appeal would KKW membership have to you? It seems like the sport aspect is predominantly what the KKW spends its attention and resources on.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but I was told by members of TKD Canada that one of the reasons for change, was to prevent forgery.

That might be part of the intent, but certainly that wasn't the only reason. They could have kept a classic, professional look & added such measures. But, they didn't. That's the sad part.