New from Texas

lkblair

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now and think this is a great, knowledgable, and friendly forum. I have my purple belt (soon testing for brown) with the American Society of Karate.

I've noted that there seems to be some disdain for American Karate, and I'm not really sure why. But regardless, I find it to be a great fit for me. 3 of my 4 kids (the youngest is too young) and I all train; I'm able to help with my kids' classes, and we find that our karate family is every bit as supportive and close knit as our blood family.

I look forward to getting to know the everyone here and learning!

Lisa

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT :wavey:...glad you are coming out of the shadows and posting...

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings Lisa,

Welcome to MT.

Cheers.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome fellow Texan where are you located and who do you train with?
This is one of the best dites that is out there in internet land with people from all sorts of styles and are very knowledgable.

OP
L

lkblair

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome fellow Texan where are you located and who do you train with?

I'm in Round Rock. I train with the Austin Society of Karate; my head instructor is 3rd degree BB Larry Jungmann (lineage - he is trained by our director, Greg Beaver, who is trained by Houston's Bill Gray). I also work a lot with Mr. Jungmann's two sons, who are both 2nd degree BBs.

OP
L

lkblair

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome!

Welcome, what style or styles, are in the American society of Karate?

Honestly, Dave, I've never asked. From the bit of research I've done, though, I'd say it's a fair mix of Shotokan, EPAK, and TKD. If you'd like to take a look at our syllabus, you can go to http://www.askmartialarts.com, click on Publications, and then go to the Adult Manual.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've noted that there seems to be some disdain for American Karate, and I'm not really sure why. But regardless, I find it to be a great fit for me. 3 of my 4 kids (the youngest is too young) and I all train; I'm able to help with my kids' classes, and we find that our karate family is every bit as supportive and close knit as our blood family.

I look forward to getting to know the everyone here and learning!

Lisa

Greetings Lisa and Welcome to MT..If it works for you then to hell with what everyone else is saying about it..Looking forward to your posts..

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Lisa, you are right there are some very nice people here, enjoy :).

Latest Discussions