New forumite

Christopher Umbs

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just surfing around when I noticed these forums.

I’m an instructor of the French and Italian schools of foil and rapier at the Martinez Academy and studying a host of other weapons for my Provost/Master’s degree there. I’ve also studied Spanish knife/navaja with M. James Loriega.

I’m mostly a lurker, but feel free to throw any questions my way.

Christopher J Umbs

www.martinez-destreza.com

www.ahfi.org

C

Chicago Green Dragon

Hello Christopher

Welcome to the talk groups.

I am a fencer too. Foil and Sabre. I used to teach Adv. Sabre when I was in college. I have been fencing since 82.

Do you ever fence at the FIE or USFA events ?
Do you fence electric ?

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

Christopher Umbs said:
Hello all,
Just surfing around when I noticed these forums.
I’m an instructor of the French and Italian schools of foil and rapier at the Martinez Academy and studying a host of other weapons for my Provost/Master’s degree there. I’ve also studied Spanish knife/navaja with M. James Loriega.
I’m mostly a lurker, but feel free to throw any questions my way.
Christopher J Umbs
www.martinez-destreza.com

www.ahfi.org

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to hear more about the knife techniques--what are they like? Fencing-like, or like FMA, or...?

OP
Christopher Umbs

Christopher Umbs

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Chicago Green Dragon said:
Hello Christopher

Welcome to the talk groups.

I am a fencer too. Foil and Sabre. I used to teach Adv. Sabre when I was in college. I have been fencing since 82.

Do you ever fence at the FIE or USFA events ?
Do you fence electric ?

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:
I fenced electric foil in Jr. High and epee in High School (C ranking at my best). Did another 2 years of sport fencing on my own. Then 10 years working for Ren. Fairs and hitting up SCA tournaments. Past 6 years or have been at the Martinez Academy doing classical/dry and historical fencing. I don't do any wired fencing now and the USFA/FIE rules change way too often for my liking.

Chris

OP
Christopher Umbs

Christopher Umbs

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I'd like to hear more about the knife techniques--what are they like? Fencing-like, or like FMA, or...?
My FMA experience has been limited to a few tournaments at Bakbakan in Lodi, NJ so I can't really say. Most of the competitors there were treating the entire thing like it was a game with blunt toys... hey diddle diddle, straight up the middle, then no defense as both competitors just stabbed each other repeatedly. I actually found it pretty easy to win my weight class after just a few months training with the knife. I found the navaja footwork and attacks to be very similar to Italian rapier, but with a more narrow and upright stance.

Chris

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Mr. Umb,

I have just finished James Loriega's book Sellivan Steel. It is a very good martial arts book. I really enjoyed the fact that this author can write a good prose and it was not just "Stab here....slice there".

Can you speak to the navaja? It looked like their was an emphasis placed on thrusts in the book. Is this correct?

As a side note, I saw the movie "THE MISSION" with Robert DeNero and Jeremy Irons over the weekend. In that movie DeNero used a navaja to kill his brother.

Thanks,
Jeremy BAys

Woodland Archery