New England Warrior Camp

savagek

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
New England Warrior Camp

“Eleven years on the path “

October 3 ~ 5 2008
You are invited to a unique gathering of Budo Taijutsu practitioners, immersing yourself in three days of training in the ancient Bujinkan Warrior Traditions… This year’s event features instruction by many of New England’s finest Bujinkan Shidoshi. . . Training will take place on a private camp located in the historic Sudbury River Valley 25 miles West of Boston Massachusetts.
This years event Includes?

Three days of training
Meals on Saturday & Sunday
Lodging in rustic dormitory camp style cabins or tenting option
Nighttime Personal & Environmental Awareness Training exercises (PEAT)
Naturalistic Whole Body Physical Health and Conditioning exercises (GYO)
Commemorative certificate & t-shirt
Plus much more…

This year’s themes Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu & Bujinkan Kenjutsu
Payment Options:____________
The total cost of the camp: $215.00
If paid in full by September 3ed: $190.00
For those who prefer to bring a tent: $180.00 after September 3ed $215.00
A single day of training (Saturday or Sunday): $115.00
A $50.00 non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your spot now!
Please make checks payable to:
“The Winchendon Martial Arts Center”
John & Jane Dojo scholarship (JJDS)
Each year someone would like to attend NEWC but for a variety of reasons cannot afford to. Because of a generous anonymous donation made in 2007 NEWC started the JJSDS which allows two folks, a man and a woman, to attend camp cost free excluding the $50.00 deposit and here is how:
1. The person is sponsored by three of their peers in writing or e-mail with a brief description of why they are being recommended
2. The request is reviewed by NEWC directors and their decision is final
3. Processed on a first come first serve basis recipient & sponsors are contacted. In keeping with the spirit of the scholarship recipients are not made aware of the sponsors.
If you know someone who fits the criteria, why not sponsor on their behalf.

Contact Information
www.winmartialarts.com
manager@newenglandwarriorcamp.com
The Winchendon Martial Arts Center
#23 Central Street Winchendon, MA. 01475
Call 781-864-6713

OP
S

savagek

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

Savings deadline is over but we still have spots remaining for this 11th annual event.

Be well and Gassho,

Ken Savage
www.winmartialarts.com

OP
S

savagek

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

Two days to go and we still have a few spots.

Contact us for more information.

Be well and Gassho,

Ken Savage
www.winmartialarts.com
781-864-6713

OP
S

savagek

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

Camp has ended and was a great time 90+ folks gathered for 3 days for fun, fellowship, and hours of training.

For more information about next years event go to:

www.winmartialarts.com

Be well and Gassho,

Ken Savage

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great time! Could we get a seminar review? :)

Mike

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I am sure everyone would love to hear how it went and see a few pictures.
icon14.gif

nitflegal

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was only able to go for Saturday but it was a blast. First off, it really is a beautiful campground to go play at. It was a nice 10 minute or so hike to the training area which actually did a very nice job getting the body loose and ready for training. It probably helped that it was a sunny, cool, and comfortable day out.

The day started with body conditioning and breakfast. Then off to the first training session with Mark Davis. Ken talked a bit first and dropped some useful philosophic points (seriously, they were food for some thought) and then training started up. It was fascinating to have that much room to play as it allowed us to practice defense against charging attacks from someone who had the space to really start hauling butt towards you. Techniques feel a heck of a lot different when someone isn't taking two steps but has spent 15 feet building up speed! It also helped with the awareness training as you had to keep an eye out for the people chucking uke in your direction. Davis-sensei was also roaming during the practice portions which allowed him to help me out of some confusion roadblocks.

After that it was lunch. As an aside, one of the best parts for me was the opportunity to meet, sit, and talk with whole bunch of people with similar interests. A whole hour of sitting with people, eating and discussing the finer points of Bujinkan techniques was a blast.

After lunch, back to the clearing for afternoon training. I was in Drucker-sensei's kenjutsu session and it was great. A lot of emphasis on closing distance to get to safe areas and how to adjust the cuts based on target availability and your own sword position. One of the techniques had us pinning (briefly) the uke's arms with our own elbow that was neat and one I want to experiment with moving forward. Drucker-sensei and his students were a big help as they roamed during the practice sessions. It was also overall a great reminder about footwork as you can't afford sloppiness when you're moving on uneven terrain.

Dinner was again fun, although I admit I was getting a little wiped at that point. After dinner was tamigishiri which is something I haven't done in several years. Fortunately I still remembered how to "wring the towel" so the cuts went fine, my only complaint being that I wanted to keep going. I suppose other people deserved their own turn though. . . I used one of Matt Venier's blades and I have to say, it was an extremely sweet blade. Well balanced and very lively in the hand and it cut effortlessly. I've been wanting to buy a good katana for cutting practice and come tax time, I think I'll be ordering one of his. Vastly nicer in the hand than the upper end Hanwei line and it felt as good as some of the Bugei swords I've handled, although the blade and fittings weren't entirely traditional if that matters to anyone.

I had a sick 2-year old at home that I promised I'd be home in time to take care of (God bless my wife who was up with her all Friday night so I could get some sleep before training), so I had to miss the night training, which was really disappointing.

Overall, it was a great event and I can see why it's lasted eleven years. A lot of good people and good training in a lovely place makes for a darned good day. I also appreciated the emphasis on charity and personal responsibility (cleaning the dining area ourselves, the sponsored charity and such). I'll certainly be there next year, hopefully for the whole weekend next time.

Matt

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for the review!! :)

Mike