New curricullum

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am going to post my curricullum would like some feedback either negative or positive

to get a Yellow belt:
Cycle of destruction
All the meridians in the right cycle for destruction
All abreviations for the meridians
All Kicks (these for me are front, side, oblique or seisan, round regular and muay thai, and knees)
All hand strikes
start of speed hitting
start of sticky hands
stick/knife (rolling and abiniquo)
stand up locks (center lock, outside wrist turn, arm bars, finger locks)
ground arm bars and chokes
standing chokes
single and double leg take down
major and minor reaps
and naifanchi shodan

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Orange belt:
Diurnal cycle
cycle of creation
start of healing
stomache line
gall bladder line
spleen line
Large intestin line
Lung line
neck breaks
body locking
firemans throw
over the shoulder throws
hip throws
leg bars
ankle locks
single sinawali
knife angles
Jo angles
Kata Seisan, Seiuchin
Aiki Walk

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Blue belt: Healing level two
Neck Break throws
locks for riop tears and breaks
using weapons of opportunity
Sticky hands incorporating the legs
knife and stick advanced angles and start of combinations
Jo Locks
randori grappling and throwing
Kata tomari Passai, and Wansu
Jo Kata

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brown Belt:
Healing level three
Anatomy (major bones and major muscles)
Small intestine line
bladder line
liver line
kidney line
triple warmer/heater line
pericardium line
heart line
angles and directions of three points per line
your martial lineage
Katas Naifanchi Nidan and Naifanchi Sandan

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Black Belt:
Anatomy (major ligaments and tendons)
healing level four
history of the arts you study lineage
history of the katas you do
ability to teach and lead
fight for your belt
stick fighting
knife fighting
Break down all katas at the least 5 moves per kata

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I'm not sure what a lot of your terms are referring to, it looks pretty well thought out. But why is the history and lineage left till brown and black belt? I would think that at least the broad outlines would be provided very early on.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Orange belt:
Diurnal cycle
cycle of creation
start of healing
stomache line
gall bladder line
spleen line
Large intestin line
Lung line
neck breaks
body locking
firemans throw
over the shoulder throws
hip throws
leg bars
ankle locks
single sinawali
knife angles
Jo angles
Kata Seisan, Seiuchin
Aiki Walk

While I'm not sure what a lot of your terms are referring to, it looks pretty well thought out. But why is the history and lineage left till brown and black belt? I would think that at least the broad outlines would be provided very early on.
I am wanting them to do there own research and see what they can come up with they will have all the opportunities to look at my research as I have some of the lineage for the teachers going all the way back to the year 436 I believe I will have to look again. I will lay the outline out before that belt I juat want them to be able to present the history to me when they get to that point

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would move the anatomy lessons much earlier, makes instruction easier when you can refer to specific body parts and functions.

Also I would not teach the creation/destruction and diurnal cycle stuff until much later (or even never), AFTER they can do it then teach them why it works.

I think the "Healing", especially among kyusho / PP groups (of which I am a member, I am not hating on them) is greatly over-estimated and under-understood. There are definitly techniques that can be used to alleviate common MA-induced traumas ("revivals") there is a long tradition of that in MA and Shihan Pantazzi (KI) in particular has done a great job of codifying and teaching those. But I see a lot of KI people talk about "healing" and then do some simple muscle massages like they were doing accupuncture, and one in a hundred might have the real level of KNOWELDGE and EXPERIENCE necessary to actually do the most rudimentary of TCM therapies.

ok, finally,

When designing a list of criteria, you should'nt be wishy-washy. For example, "start of sticky hands" at yellow, I didn't see a "finish sticky hands". So maybe take the weaker 'Start of...' criteria out of yellow and put "Sticky hands" in at orange. The lists are not to tell you what to introduce to students at what level, but what they need to master at each level to advance. "What to Introduce them to" is prolly a good list to have but it is a different list. (or is it just the next belt's mastery list?)

SifuJason

White Belt
Reaction score
The only thing I would really add is the sprawl to your yellow belt requirements; to accompany the single and double leg takedowns.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I would move the anatomy lessons much earlier, makes instruction easier when you can refer to specific body parts and functions.

Also I would not teach the creation/destruction and diurnal cycle stuff until much later (or even never), AFTER they can do it then teach them why it works.

I think the "Healing", especially among kyusho / PP groups (of which I am a member, I am not hating on them) is greatly over-estimated and under-understood. There are definitly techniques that can be used to alleviate common MA-induced traumas ("revivals") there is a long tradition of that in MA and Shihan Pantazzi (KI) in particular has done a great job of codifying and teaching those. But I see a lot of KI people talk about "healing" and then do some simple muscle massages like they were doing accupuncture, and one in a hundred might have the real level of KNOWELDGE and EXPERIENCE necessary to actually do the most rudimentary of TCM therapies.

ok, finally,

When designing a list of criteria, you should'nt be wishy-washy. For example, "start of sticky hands" at yellow, I didn't see a "finish sticky hands". So maybe take the weaker 'Start of...' criteria out of yellow and put "Sticky hands" in at orange. The lists are not to tell you what to introduce to students at what level, but what they need to master at each level to advance. "What to Introduce them to" is prolly a good list to have but it is a different list. (or is it just the next belt's mastery list?)
Good advise, on the healing one of my partners is a chiropractor and has really helped me improve my healing, this is a next belts mastery list the reason I put start of sticky hands there is because all they will be using is there hands I plan on going more advanced after black belt still working all the bugs out. I will deffinately look at introducing the anatomy earlier as its sometihing that I teach already but I just want them to be able to teach it to me by what ever belt.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am going to post my curricullum would like some feedback either negative or positive

to get a Yellow belt:
Cycle of destruction
All the meridians in the right cycle for destruction
All abreviations for the meridians
All Kicks (these for me are front, side, oblique or seisan, round regular and muay thai, and knees)
All hand strikes
start of speed hitting
start of sticky hands
stick/knife (rolling and abiniquo)
stand up locks (center lock, outside wrist turn, arm bars, finger locks)
ground arm bars and chokes
standing chokes
single and double leg take down
major and minor reaps
and naifanchi shodan

Orange belt:
Diurnal cycle
cycle of creation
start of healing
stomache line
gall bladder line
spleen line
Large intestin line
Lung line
neck breaks
body locking
firemans throw
over the shoulder throws
hip throws
leg bars
ankle locks
single sinawali
knife angles
Jo angles
Kata Seisan, Seiuchin
Aiki Walk

Blue belt: Healing level two
Neck Break throws
locks for riop tears and breaks
using weapons of opportunity
Sticky hands incorporating the legs
knife and stick advanced angles and start of combinations
Jo Locks
randori grappling and throwing
Kata tomari Passai, and Wansu
Jo Kata

Since You asked for feed back.

Generally I think you have put in things in some areas to soon. For instance in Yellow you have Stick and knife techniques as well as chokes both standing and ground chokes. Yellow is a begining belt so I woould instead concentrate on the striking aspect on your art (leaving out the locks and controls and weapons) since that takes the least skill. This way if the person leaves they have a grounding in something they can use (possibly if needed)

Maybe in Orange rank move the throws and group them with any off balancing TDs. Here you could tie together the striking range with moving in for the double leg TDs, or the reaps. But I would leave off the neck breaks till a later rank when the student is more mature in the art. This is important for their safety as well as other students safety.

In Blue rank I would start with the ground work and locks now that the students can hit and kick and move in and TD the person then ground fight them. At this level the neck break throws might be OK but I would give the students plenty of falling time, prior to teaching this and making it a part of a test.

What is the purpose of having the sinawali and rolling actions with the knife and stick? Are you planning on teaching these weapons in depth along with the Jo. If so I would hold off on the knife again till brown belt rank or black, unless you are showing empty hand defense against the knife or using it for self defense type material. But what it looks like is that you want the guys to do knife fighting/dueling and that is a whole different subject. Which I believe takes much more time that what you are giving it in your curriculum. Same really for the stick sparring issue.

I think your strong point is the striking, grappling and locking aspect of your system, combined with the knowledge you are giving the student on the meridians, healing etc. etc. I believe your students will have plenty to work on without blending in the FMA aspect I think you are inserting. You coould use some of what you know of the FMA to tie in with your curriculums principles and techniques but I don't know if I would make them part of the curriculum for testing purposes.

If you were teaching a FMA based curriculum then having the stick work in Yellow is fine but it appears to me to be more of a karate based program with the FMA blended in.

Thanks for posting it.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
something I should have posted on this is a rough timeline of when I think students should be able to get promoted at my school

White-Yellow 1 1/2 years
Yellow-Orange 2 yrs
Orange-Blue 3 yrs
Blue-Brown 3yrs
Brown-Black 3yrs
these times could be quicker depending on the student and how hard they are willing to work. I am a very demanding teacher in that when they test it must be something they know not something they have learned. I am going in depth with everything I am teaching (Jujitsu, stick/knife fighting, throws, stand up, and once they reach black I add in the hand gun(basic marksmanship))

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
something I should have posted on this is a rough timeline of when I think students should be able to get promoted at my school

White-Yellow 1 1/2 years
Yellow-Orange 2 yrs
Orange-Blue 3 yrs
Blue-Brown 3yrs
Brown-Black 3yrs
these times could be quicker depending on the student and how hard they are willing to work. I am a very demanding teacher in that when they test it must be something they know not something they have learned. I am going in depth with everything I am teaching (Jujitsu, stick/knife fighting, throws, stand up, and once they reach black I add in the hand gun(basic marksmanship))

So is it total time line
1 1/2 years 1st belt
Then 2 years as a yellow belt till orange
Then 2-3 years as a orange till blue
and so on?

Or is it basically a year or more per belt and you are referning to total time practicing your system?

Just wondering?

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
its per belt I do this because the students that i do tend to keep are there to be good martial artist and not rank hunters. I have had a few rank hunters and I have always felt that at most schools rank is given out too quickly so I decided to be different than the other schools in my area

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
That is a very comprehensive curricullum.

But to be honest, given the timelines that you are laying out for your belt progression, I can't help but think you might be better off pulling out at least one of your arts and teaching it as a seperate educational track. In particular I see the FMA portion as being "one of these this is not like the others." I don't know what FMA you are teaching from, but since most emphasize flow, it seems an odd conjuction to be taught along side rather hard style Okinawan/Japanese kata at early levels. Seems to me you are either going to have hard style FMAers or flowy karateka.

Lets say you hold a student for 6.5 years before you lose them, according to your timeline you haven't introduced them to randori yet. While all belt levels are subjective and not comparable between schools, it feels like yours is very drawn out. With regard to the teaching of your arts histories, you are willing to let your students research possible faulty information for about 10 years before you give them what is in your files? That seems a bit weird to me.

Lamont

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

White-Yellow 1 1/2 years
Yellow-Orange 2 yrs
Orange-Blue 3 yrs
Blue-Brown 3yrs
Brown-Black 3yrs

The cirriculum is certainly demanding, and requires much patience from your students, if you choose to do so.

The kata you've listed (Naihanchi, Seishan, Wanshu, Passai) are usually taught at higher ranks, than what you've listed. However, since your time requirements are also similarly long, those who stick it out should be able to do just fine.

However, we now get to an interesting crossroads... By using these long length of time requirements, what kind of student retention do you plan on having?

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is a very comprehensive curricullum.

But to be honest, given the timelines that you are laying out for your belt progression, I can't help but think you might be better off pulling out at least one of your arts and teaching it as a seperate educational track. In particular I see the FMA portion as being "one of these this is not like the others." I don't know what FMA you are teaching from, but since most emphasize flow, it seems an odd conjuction to be taught along side rather hard style Okinawan/Japanese kata at early levels. Seems to me you are either going to have hard style FMAers or flowy karateka.
Lamont

I agree here with your point.

Certain FMA styles like Modern Arnis could blend well within a given curriculm even one heavily based in karate. But I would teach it as a seperate track of study. The Sinawali motions are useful for teaching double stick, single stick, and can be used as a base for learning locking skills with empty hand. This can compliment your main style and give the students a wider view but with a hard core karate program I don't see the need for teaching it along side as the karate part of the program.

I teach Modern Arnis as well as a American TKD program but I keep the programs seperate. However at times I will show different drills to my TKD class (Empty Hand Sinawali, Hubud, to introduce something to them ad widen their view point) but I don't have them as requirements for belt rank.

I do in later ranks of the TKD program have more of an emphasis on self defense, particulary defense against weapons. And here too my FMA background will help determine what I show, but it is more specialized to the self defense realm. But I won't go into stick to stick sparring, or knife sparring for the TKD group.

Just a couple of thoughts.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking of taking the randori off because I believe it is something that should be taught from the begining. My thoughts on having them all in one class is to show that there really isnt much difference between arts as there is only so many ways your body can move. I understand where you are coming from the karate that I teach is not a hard style at all I emphasize being relaxed and smooth, helps to flow with yor sticky hands and grappling.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

With regard to the teaching of your arts histories, you are willing to let your students research possible faulty information for about 10 years before you give them what is in your files? That seems a bit weird to me.

Lamont
they will always have access to my files, but no matter what files you have your arts history and that of your lineage of instructors can be wishy washy because we all no that there are dishonest people and some people are dead so you cant get the other half of the truth

Latest Discussions