New Chungdokwan Kwang Jang appointed

Adrian0903

White Belt
Reaction score
I have just recieved news that the new 4th ( 5th ) Kwang Jang for the Chungdokwan has been appointed, replacing Gm Uhm who has retired.

Gm Kim Yong Ho

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this the gentlemen you are talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is this the gentlemen you are talking about?

Whoah...freaky, to see a video I uploaded being posted. Yes, that's GM Kim Yong Ho. My Grandmaster and Master also appear in that video (which was the reason I uploaded it, to show them - I actually didn't know it was public).

Last edited by a moderator:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have just recieved news that the new 4th ( 5th ) Kwang Jang for the Chungdokwan has been appointed, replacing Gm Uhm who has retired.
Gm Kim Yong Ho

And the bombs seem to keep coming don't they. I didn't think GM Uhm would ever retire.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoah...freaky, to see a video I uploaded being posted. Yes, that's GM Kim Yong Ho. My Grandmaster and Master also appear in that video (which was the reason I uploaded it, to show them - I actually didn't know it was public).

Now you'll have to upload videos of yourself training, grading and competing! :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I googled his name & your video came up. I couldn't ignore it, Andy:ultracool

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And the bombs seem to keep coming don't they. I didn't think GM Uhm would ever retire.

From Andy's video GM Kim seems like a good man for the job. What insights can you add, Puunui?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
From Andy's video GM Kim seems like a good man for the job. What insights can you add, Puunui?

I have to think about it. I read one of his students webpages and noticed that he is another Kyung Hee University alumni....

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, it's Kwan Jang, not Kwang Jang, any more than it is Chung Do Kwang.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now you'll have to upload videos of yourself training, grading and competing! :)

Remember this comment that you made? I ask because I am wondering what videos of Andy has to do with a new Chung Do Kwan Jang being appointed....

Chaps, we are getting off topic here, can we get back to the OP please and not gossip. We don't need the mods looking at yet another TKD thread.

Personally, I don't really care if people stray off topic, but you seem to do, so....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember this comment that you made? I ask because I am wondering what videos of Andy has to do with a new Chung Do Kwan Jang being appointed....

Personally, I don't really care if people stray off topic, but you seem to do, so....

Ah but where would life be without the little pleasantries exchanged between countrymen?

Dear boy are you stalking me? Do say yes, I haven't had a stalker for a while. I notice you don't chastise Iceman, not that he deserves it, him being a nice chap.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Without seeming catty I hope, may I suggest we leave the moderation in this and all future threads to the moderators? The ones we have are quite even-handed and I trust their judgment.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah but where would life be without the little pleasantries exchanged between countrymen?

But when I exchange pleasantries with my own countryman (dancingalone) you come in and try to play moderator and tell us we're off topic. I'm just pointing that out, a point that you don't deny.

Dear boy are you stalking me? Do say yes, I haven't had a stalker for a while. I notice you don't chastise Iceman, not that he deserves it, him being a nice chap.

I'm not stalking you; in fact it seems like it is the other way around, where you follow me around on a message board of a style you don't even study, and scold us for going off topic on history, conversations with pioneers, buddhism, etc. I am a member of the Chung Do Kwan, so that is why I am participating in this topic. Why are you? To exchange off topic pleasantries with your fellow countrymen? If so, may I nudge you to do that in a private message? Iceman is my fellow countryman and is also a fellow Chung Do Kwan member who doesn't go around scolding people for going off topic.

Again, just be consistent, instead of hypocritical.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Without seeming catty I hope, may I suggest we leave the moderation in this and all future threads to the moderators? The ones we have are quite even-handed and I trust their judgment.

I agree. Or at the very least, if someone is going to "mentor" others on a particular point, then they should be willing to be "mentored" as well on the same points.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way, could someone explain what a kwan jang does these days? Is it primarily a ceremonial position or does it carry more duties and if so, an explanation would be appreciated by me.

Karate ryu frequently have two positions at the top of their administrations. One is the chief instructor who is responsible for technical responsibilities. The other is the system head who holds the ceremonial 'head of state' responsibilities although the chief instructor also usually serves at his pleasure. The two positions can and frequently are combined in one person, usually a family member of the ryu's founder.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
....And boy that GM Kim, Yong Ho sure has big shoes to fill, huh? :)

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
By the way, could someone explain what a kwan jang does these days? Is it primarily a ceremonial position or does it carry more duties and if so, an explanation would be appreciated by me.

The Kwan Jang is the leader of the Kwan and performs the duties required of him. The main function of the Kwan Jang was insuring that Kwan members got promoted to higher dan ranks. The Kwan Jang of the nine kwan hold special privileges in that they are the only ones who can promote someone from a different country without restriction. There really are no technical responsibilities since the Kukkiwon standardized curriculum became the basis for Kukki Taekwondo, although the Kwan Jang all seem to have an deep understanding of that standardized curriculum, since they all participated in its creation.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What do kwans do now? They are not supposed to hand out certificates,I wonder if it is not counter productive to unification?
According to Dr. Park,Cha Sok, Gm Lee had said there were no more kwans.
Sounds like name dropping but I was asking him about the chung do kwan and if it had evolved like mu duk kwan.
In the chung do kwan are there ITF versions as there are in mu duk kwan.
Just curious.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do kwans do now? They are not supposed to hand out certificates,I wonder if it is not counter productive to unification?

The Kwan role has evolved. Now they serve mostly as a sort of alumni association where members get together and work together. And they are not supposed to issue dan or other certification, but all of them do. I would say that over the next twenty or maybe thirty years, Kwans will cease to exist. Already the Kang Duk Won has ended with the passing of GM LEE Kum Hong, and some of the other kwans are becoming less and less active. Probably the most active is the Chung Do Kwan and Jidokwan, followed by the Moo Duk Kwan, Han Moo Kwan and Chang Moo Kwan.

In the chung do kwan are there ITF versions as there are in mu duk kwan. Just curious.

There are members of the Chung Do Kwan who have ITF roots. GM NAM Tae Hi, GM RHEE Jhoon Gu, and others are examples who are part of the US Chung Do Kwan who have ITF backgrounds. Both GM Nam and GM Rhee are listed as advisors. The current president of the US Chung Do Kwan is GM YANG Woo Yup, who I believe has an ITF background as well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Puunui my boy, your blandishments won't work I'm afraid, quite immune and of course calling Ohtsuka Sensei a traitor is just passing the time of day, I understand that and it of course has everything to do with TKD.
Dancingalone, not seeing the bigger picture here and not understanding why many are upset at the uncivilities that have marred other posts.

Oh and actually yes I train TKD too. Appalling isn't it?

Latest Discussions