New Bartitsu documentary trailer

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
By dropping it, yes. The problem is not what I divest. The problem is that I can't carry much more. For example, when I leave my car to walk into work, I am toting a computer backpack or shoulder bag, my lunch bucket (Iron Man), a large travel mug of coffee, and fiddling with my security ID to get into the building through the automated revolving doors. I quite often drop my car keys as I try to transfer things from hand to hand while I am walking. A cane? I could not possibly manage it.

I hear that man. Most of us work in jobs where we have to carry lots of stuff, adding a cane would never do. For me I would have to be carryig a backpack with my laptop and notebook, a gigbag with a guitar (or sometime the 2 guitar bag), practice amp, cable and all the stuff that goes with that.

That cane stuff is great to learn though, never know when you'll find a stick handy ... but then that's why we practice bo, jo and hanbo in karate.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
one of the things I find interesting is that so many do not know how developed and sophisticated the unarmed systems of combat were in Europe before fire arms became common.

the unarmed systems of combat in Europe in say 1500 were as developed as any in asia. unfortunately they were not systematized in such a way that they survived the advent of the gun in all its forms becoming ubiquitous through out Europe.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
one of the things I find interesting is that so many do not know how developed and sophisticated the unarmed systems of combat were in Europe before fire arms became common.
<nods>

the unarmed systems of combat in Europe in say 1500 were as developed as any in asia. unfortunately they were not systematized in such a way that they survived the advent of the gun in all its forms becoming ubiquitous through out Europe.
Well, I disagree on just a small little point. I think that they were plenty systematized. The best example we see is the English "Maisters of Defense" which was deliberately analogous to contemporary Trade Guilds, had a similar structure of 4 (5) "ranks," specified training standards, tests, loyalty and confidentiality Oaths for both Instructors and Students, review boards, etc.

And there's evidence to indicate that other pseudo-guild structures existed for other WMA skills such as the evolution of German longsword from battle instrument through foundational teaching tool, to semi-sport. Notice how Meyer's treatise has both Longsword and Rapier (although the rapier work is a little wonky in comparison with other rapier systems).

Similarly with Military Saber, Dueling weapons such as the Smallsword and the Dueling Saber. Sophisticated schools, training systems, ranks, tests, certifications, etc. And these survived the advent of firearms. Good ol' Rough Rider Teddy Roosevelt's Military Saber skills were more than just "swing a sharpened steel club while riding on a horse."

But you are 100% right that we see a gradual shift in how these WMA systems are preserved, taught, used, and thought of by the general public and the advent and evolution of firearms playing a major role in how that transpired.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions