New 6th Gup Green Belt

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agemechanic03 was promoted tonight to 6th Gup Green belt! Congratulations, Chris!

Dsc_0003 small.jpg

Dsc_0016 small.jpg

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Woot!! Congratulations!!!

F

foggymorning162

Congrats! Nows when the training starts to get harder, but thats a good thing!!!:whip1:

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
w00t! Good job. Now you're no longer a newbie beginner; you're a slightly advanced beginner. Keep at it, and you'll only get better.

Tang Soo!

mjd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Green is cool, middle of the pack, very cool, congradulation on the 6th gup

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congratulations, AgeMechanic, on your green belt. I know it takes a lot of hard work to get there.

Do you have to break a board with edan ahp chagi for 5th gup?

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations, AgeMechanic, on your green belt. I know it takes a lot of hard work to get there.

Do you have to break a board with edan ahp chagi for 5th gup?

Actually no. The location of where I am at right now, they do things a lil bit differently since we are only here for a year. I just tested for 5th Gup on the 12th and no board breaking. My instructor doesn't really do it b/c first of all, he is Korean and he doesn't like rebreakable boards. He says they are too easy. 2ndly, Korea is a poor country and where I am at, it's hard for him to come by actual boards, but I am planning on saving up and getting rebreakables anyways so we can get some practice.

Tang Soo!!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Strangely enough, I thought I replied to this already... I looked, and I hadn't! Sorry for being a bit late, but CONGRATULATIONS, AGEMECHANIC!! :highfive:

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually no. The location of where I am at right now, they do things a lil bit differently since we are only here for a year. I just tested for 5th Gup on the 12th and no board breaking. My instructor doesn't really do it b/c first of all, he is Korean and he doesn't like rebreakable boards. He says they are too easy. 2ndly, Korea is a poor country and where I am at, it's hard for him to come by actual boards, but I am planning on saving up and getting rebreakables anyways so we can get some practice.

Tang Soo!!

They sell them on the internet fairly cheaply. Check out this site: http://www.martialartssupermarket.com/index.cfm?action=showProd&subid=213

They seem to have the 9"x12"x1" boards we use for breaking in the ITF; I might eventually get some for my own practice (or a breaking demo video?)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry for being a bit late, but CONGRATULATIONS, AGEMECHANIC!! :highfive:

Me too... I always love to hear about people progressing to new levels and being recognized for that, in any MA, but especially in the KMAs, of course! :wink1: Well done, agem'ic!

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Tang Soo!!
We use the pine boards in class and during competitions.

Now, the rebreakable board I bought is not easy to break. Most of the boards have to be broken in, too. I'm talking about propping the board up against a sturdy surface and pounding with your foot. Supposedly, some boards never really get broken in or it takes a long time to notice a difference.

Anyway, board-breaking is fun! Grandmaster Richard Byrne holds the world record for breaking the most amount of boards at one time...I think it was 15 boards with an elbow strike.

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
We use the pine boards in class and during competitions.

Now, the rebreakable board I bought is not easy to break. Most of the boards have to be broken in, too. I'm talking about propping the board up against a sturdy surface and pounding with your foot. Supposedly, some boards never really get broken in or it takes a long time to notice a difference.

Anyway, board-breaking is fun! Grandmaster Richard Byrne holds the world record for breaking the most amount of boards at one time...I think it was 15 boards with an elbow strike.

15 boards??? How would you hold that? Do you use the 1"-thick boards, or the really skinny type that TKD demonstrators use?

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
15 boards??? How would you hold that? Do you use the 1"-thick boards, or the really skinny type that TKD demonstrators use?

It must have been down like if you were breaking bricks. It's impossible to set up 15 boards to break like that and they would have to be skinny ones. No way it could be 15 1" boards. Not saying that he didn't or not, but also from what I understand, Master Chip Townsend (TKD- Texas), is an undefeated 11 time board breaking champion and 2 time world board breaking champion...watched a quick clip on him last night. Like I said Lynne, not calling you wrong, just not sure as to how he had the boards set up and what size he used, makes a huge difference either way.

Tang Soo!

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know how the boards were set up but I would be willing to bet they were the 7/8" (or is it 3/4""???) ones. Grandmaster Byrne is a huge man which you will see if you click on the link below (I don't know his height, but I'd guess at least 6'5").

Here is the link (he broke 15 boards with an elbow strike): http://www.grandmasterbyrne.com/pages/AboutATA.html

Also, we have women who can break three boards with an elbow strike, so I don't see why someone like Grandmaster Byrne couldn't break 15 boards.

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sure most of you have seen the clips - but generally when multiple board breaking like that is done, they will sent all of the boards on blocks with spacers in between and do a straight down break.

Latest Discussions