Never forget your "First Love" !!!

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thoughts on the Road:

Adversity!!!

Things break, situations change, unexpected setbacks happen, plans get altered.. it's a normal part of life; probably the most normal. Only the dead and the Eternal never change.

These are forks in the road, points at which we must have something to cling too, a center and a focus; so that the sweeping winds of life's circumstances don't carry us to our doom. The trick is to turn and face the wind, or let it fill your sails so that YOU are the master of your vessel, and not the flow of the current and it's churning undertow.

In the martial arts, for me, it's the improvement of character, the betterment of me and my partner (mutual benefit) in mind / spirit / character / body / technique that's important. That each tomarrow finds us further than today, even if tomarrow isn't painted the same color as I thought it'd be or didn't contain the events that I'd once hoped it might. Those problems, setbacks and altered plans come; but the dream of what kind of martial artist I CAN be, inspite of....or maybe even because of such adversities... that's the North Star for me: my own Ideal & better self...so that I may become better able to serve and be a blessing & asset to the people that matter the most to me; family, friends, school, community, work...etc. That there's forever progress to be made, lessons to be learned and comradries to be established and built up.

Schools will sink into the red, buildings can burn, bodies be damaged, friendships be lost, hopes be dashed like glass upon the rocks, athleticism WILL fade, that which is gained by brawn and force today will mock our future selves....as sure as the sun will shine!

but if you keep to the central core, stay on the WAY, the REASON... and never cease in your efforts...
You will never cease to be a "Martial Artist". Which is the highest acclaim and title that I may ever obtain....
IF I never forget my First Love.

Your Brother
John

Character cannot be faked!
Honor is a consistent habit, not an aquisition.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very nice, sir! Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
True indeed Brother...Your Views sound Greatly Similer to Bruce Lee's.. ::Bow::

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
John - deep thoughts indeed. My hat's off to you sir, so often practitioners of martial disciplines treat their practise as a few kata and a couple of rounds of sparring in the dojo - it's always refreshing for me to hear martial artists like yourself who walk the walk in the real world too. Our martial arts are capable of giving us so much more than many of us give them credit for and it's affirming when someone points that out to us. FWIW, you definitely sound like you're secure on your path and steadfast in your art. Nice one!

I can't help but wonder too, what got you thinking along those lines??

Many thanks for your thoughts!:asian:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Martial arts for me, would be my third love. My first love was running and I had adversity with that as well. My second love was hard impact aerobic dancing. My first two loves hurt my third love TKD ie. knees. I have adversity every time I step foot in to my dojang. Just this week, four people got promoted with easier requirements for 2nd dan, no hand breaking, no difficult double techniques. In three years, those same people will be over me in rank in class because my knees can't jump anymore to test. When does anything go right? Seldom. Thanks for the pep talk Brother John! TW

OP
Brother John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I honestly appreciate everyones kind words. Thank you. I'm glad what I wrote meant something to you.

As to what brought me to think along these lines....
NEED.

Some problems have come up for me this last year or so, but even more so just very recently. When everything's going well for you, it's easy to just go on as you were... but when problems strike, it makes you ponder. Me? It makes me search for what really matters, because in the end....that's all that does matter. Those things that I mentioned as my "Central Core" my "reason" and my "North Star" Those are THE most important things to me. Being a blessing to those that matter the most to me. Continual/Perpectual work and hopefully progress in my own personal cultivation as well as contributing to the mutual cultivation of those that I share the path with. These things are my "First Love". Love is the motivator, and if you don't serve the "Love" in your life.... you're not being true to yourself and you're selling your dreams for chaff.

So, while I'm currently meeting with difficulty, I Must hold on to these points of strength and hope that are these ideals.
after all....
What else is there?

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, if I have not love, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal." 1st Corinthians 13:1
(ok....not how it's used in your average seminary, but it translates...)

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions