Nervous about testing

Sandy

White Belt
Reaction score
I will be testing for green belt next weekend and I'm really nervous.
Does anyone have any tips on how to relax and not stress so much about tests? I worry about it constantly and would like to be able to enter the exam feeling more confident.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, first of all, you're supposed to be somewhat nervous - that means you're taking the test seriously, and not assuming that it will be easy, as too many people I've known have done.

Second, the best way to reassure yourself about your readiness to test is to practice what you need to do at testing. When you're done with that, you should practice. And did I mention that you should practice? ;)

You might also try visualizing the testing situation itself. Sit somewhere quiet and comfortable, and imagine you are in the testing setting. Visualize the entire sequence from beginning to end. Imagine how it will go if everything goes perfectly. If you imagine something going wrong, figure out how to fix it - most errors seem huge at the time they occur, but they really aren't, and part of the test is how you deal with the stress of the situation itself, and any errors you make - and everyone makes errors! So if you visualize potential mistakes and how to deal with them calmly, that will help you through the testing.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What Kacey has said seems to sum it up, but remember we have all ben there done that so you will be fine breath in the good out the bad. Let us know how it went.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreeing with Terry about what Kacey said and with Kacey, as well.

Besides, anyone with a Leeloo Dallas Multipass av is bound to do fine :)

GreyStryke

White Belt
Reaction score
well I have several tests under my belt and I still get nervous before every belt test I have. The only advice I can give you is to practice, know your techniques as best as you can and take deep breaths. You'll do fine.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, first of all, you're supposed to be somewhat nervous - that means you're taking the test seriously, and not assuming that it will be easy, as too many people I've known have done.

Second, the best way to reassure yourself about your readiness to test is to practice what you need to do at testing. When you're done with that, you should practice. And did I mention that you should practice? ;)

You might also try visualizing the testing situation itself. Sit somewhere quiet and comfortable, and imagine you are in the testing setting. Visualize the entire sequence from beginning to end. Imagine how it will go if everything goes perfectly. If you imagine something going wrong, figure out how to fix it - most errors seem huge at the time they occur, but they really aren't, and part of the test is how you deal with the stress of the situation itself, and any errors you make - and everyone makes errors! So if you visualize potential mistakes and how to deal with them calmly, that will help you through the testing.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Good advice Kacey. But are you sure everyone makes errors? I don't recall ever making one
icon7.gif

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Give it your best effort - nothing more you can do. :) You'll be fine. It's one day of your life and you'll have taken another step along your journey. Good luck!

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Seems like everyone here has hit the points I would have hit with you. Most of all try hard and have faith in your ability. This I think is what people lack when they stand before anyone, faith in themselves. Do your absolute best and you have nothing to worry about. Here is some advice from my Sensei. " Seven times down, eight times up."

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
When testing, alot of students who are nervous are thinking too much about what their body is supposed to be doing automatically. For students who appear to be particularly nervous or overthinking, we tire them out by having them do pushups and lots of repetition of their basics. Once they get tired they don't think as much and things go smoother. If you think this is going to be a problem for your test, you can do it to yourself.

Lamont

OP
S

Sandy

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone for your advice.
Its easy to get a little too obsessive when it comes to test time, so your responses helped me keep it in perspective. :)

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you testing the 'Friday the 27th/Saturday the 28th' weekend? I'll keep a good thought for you, as I'm testing next weekend myself.

Knock 'em out!

jim

Seeking Zen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
Grading in my experience is a challenge against yourself. You know the material or your Sensei would not have invited you to grade. I am not sure if anyone else has brought this up, but for me there is one thing that truly helps in a grading. The practice is imperative, meditation and breathing prior helps a lot, but the key for me is this....remember a time in your life when you were so excited and motivated to do something, win a game perform something for family, whatever. Remember, when you couldn't wait for that time to come???? Try to think of your grading the same way. Don't go out with the hopes of making no mistakes, doing everything right, don't let that be your focus. Rather, go out set to impress...perform, be excited, and put every bit of energy and focus into your movements and responses. Let yourself be passionate about the moment rather than controlled by fear. Simply get excited!!!!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Get there early, and start warming up with some light stretching, followed by *slightly* more aggressive stretching. Take deep breaths as you stretch.

Then get started on reviewing. Hammer out every kata you need to know, and make sure that you can do it without thinking. I was telling my class yesterday, that if they can get their kata to the point where they don't have to think about it, then there's less of a chance that something can go wrong. If there's less of a chance that something can go wrong, then there's less of a chance that something will go wrong. Thus, Murphy's Law gets nullified somewhat. :)

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone for your advice.
Its easy to get a little too obsessive when it comes to test time, so your responses helped me keep it in perspective. :)

The test is usually not about how you will do physically. If you were not ready then your instructor would probably not put you up to test.

You are not going to show anyone anything they don't already know. You are going to show them that over the past months you know what you are supposed to know.

Testings and tournaments are there to put students under pressure to see how they react.

You will make mistakes, everyone makes mistakes. It is how you handle them that tells me more about you than your basic technique. It tells me where your head is at!

So don't dwell on the mistakes, move on and impress them with everything else!
Good luck:)